My Sparring Vid

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It might be me. My shoulders are too tense or it could be that in the videos that you see I'm holding back on the technique. If this video looks stiff then it's my shoulders and my difficulty in relaxing the upper part of my body
I guess I need to pay more attention to some videos and see if I can figure out what it is I keep "kind of" seeing. In this video, I do see what looks like some tension across the top of your shoulders (probably the most common place I for experienced people to still have tension - might even show in my left shoulder these days), but not that thing I keep kind of seeing in CMA videos from time to time.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could you elaborate on that? Not sure what you mean by that.
By his wording, I think he's referring to trying to outrun the punch with head (and upper body) movement alone, especially in the direction of the punch. In general, especially against a partner with any skill, movement alone isn't sufficient. That's where blocks, parries, counter-punches, etc. come in.

And now DB can fill in his explanation, which may be clearer and will use fewer words. :cool:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By his wording, I think he's referring to trying to outrun the punch with head (and upper body) movement alone, especially in the direction of the punch. In general, especially against a partner with any skill, movement alone isn't sufficient. That's where blocks, parries, counter-punches, etc. come in.

And now DB can fill in his explanation, which may be clearer and will use fewer words. :cool:

Yeah. In my limited terms, the direction of the punch is a constant. You can't change that. To me Bear is talkning about a fient. When punches don't work, you use different moves. In fact, a punch is basic, you lead off that. Then blocks become are just part of it. You lead to the kill. That could be many things, but desire is the key.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Im red gloves, any constructive criticism is much appreciated.

I don't know anything about Kung Fu but imho I would try to incorporate more lateral movement and try to create better angles.

You are mostly attacking and retreating in a straight line forward or backward.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, but more tools can be picked anywhere.
I like this approach rather than a "copy-paste" from one master.
On the other hand, sometimes focus on very few techniques (a subset of a style) also works pretty well...
The style should be a ladder, rather than a hermetic box.

Last edited:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like this approach rather than a "copy-paste" from one master.
On the other hand, sometimes focus on very few techniques (a subset of a style) also works pretty well...
The style should be a ladder, rather than a hermetic box.

Yeah for sure, but you can only climb that ladder until ignorance prevails. A master can only tell what steps to take, it is another to find those. IE that bin lid looks quite inviting :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Movement can be sufficient. But you are not running away from the punch.

Especially as the chun doesn't have that much defensive head movement.

D

Dylan9d

@DanT

Just a question, with those helmets/headguards, do you need to use a mouthguard? Or is it like completly closed?

OP
DanT

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
@DanT

Just a question, with those helmets/headguards, do you need to use a mouthguard? Or is it like completly closed?
The face is fully covered, but I always wear a mouthguard just in case. It's more so I don't bite my tongue than anything.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
The face is fully covered, but I always wear a mouthguard just in case. It's more so I don't bite my tongue than anything.

Yeah, everyone should use a mouthguard/gumshield regardless of whether they also have a sparring helmet. This prevents biting the tongue, cracked teeth, and lessens the impact on the brain at least a bit if you take a shot to the jaw.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, everyone should use a mouthguard/gumshield regardless of whether they also have a sparring helmet. This prevents biting the tongue, cracked teeth, and lessens the impact on the brain at least a bit if you take a shot to the jaw.
True story. One of my students did sparring without a mouth piece. During sparring he moved his head back so quick to avoid a punch which caused his jaw to close with enough force that it chipped his tooth. I have that on video too. lol. Now he wears a mouth piece. Hard lesson learned.

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score

Hi Dan, over all you fought well with good balance between punches and kicks as well as you switched up from right hand to left hand to keep your opponent guessing and off guard. If I coached you and you are asking for feedback I would advise you to see you punch with straighter punches as you seemed to come in with more of a hammering move vs straight move. You seemed to looking for your opponents hands vs just punching and if you find the hand, go around it and if you did not find the hand, then just follow it in. You might have missed out on a lot of contact with your opponent doing what you were doing vs just follow the punch in as long as there was no resistance. Just curious, how long have you studies vs your opponent in this video? Other than that your wing chun showed through and again I liked the mix of kicks and punches.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Keep at it DanT, don't worry about it too much, the more you do the more you. progress. Best advice I can give is Bik Da, Sim Da (Press & Hit, Evade & Hit). All structural issues will work themselves out when your body gets a feel for your style & approach. Heed your coaches advice & work on technical flaws they address. Mistakes are some of the best teachers, recognize them and explore to iron them out.

Latest Discussions