First Fight

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Had my first fight last night. Was a tough one, started off good but gassed out in the last round and got hit with a good shot. The opponent had 7kg on me and im pretty sure that wasnt his first fight but still many improvements to make and time to train harder and get the next win.

Also before training with Alan i had done many years of traditional ip man wc and none of those hundreds of hours of drills and just no contact cooperating drills didn't really help under that pressure. I have a good reference of what its like now so i can adjust my training to perform better next time.

My skill in this is all from Alan and me adding randoms bits myself. The pressure and skill of the opponent threw me off a bit but was a good scrap

Heres the first round. Will upload the next two rounds later when I can.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had my first fight last night. Was a tough one, started off good but gassed out in the last round and got hit with a good shot. The opponent had 7kg on me and im pretty sure that wasnt his first fight but still many improvements to make and time to train harder and get the next win.

Also before training with Alan i had done many years of traditional ip man wc and none of those hundreds of hours of drills and just no contact cooperating drills helped.

My skill in this is all from Alan and me adding randoms bits myself. The pressure and skill of the opponent threw me off a bit but was a good scrap

The media is showing "video no longer available".

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Worked for me! Great job Sean! :)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
You were not out classed by any means. Work on your cardio.
Not bad overall for a first fight. Work on head movement, angles, and stop going straight back when you disengage. Viewed rds 1 & 2 how rd 3 go?

OP
D

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes definitely going to work on my cardio a lot. Even though I lost I think i learnt more from this then if i won, now i know what i need to do to suceed in this sport and i have a good reference of someone giving me fast hard shots that I can use to improve my WC application and training.

I felt good in sparring but when you have someone throwing hard fast shots like that alot of your stuff goes out the window lol

This match was k1 rules so i wasnt allowed to clinch really at all and got a few warnings when I tried.

Will upload next 2 rounds when i get to my laptop

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I must be missing something since apparently no one else is having the problem, but which one are you in the vid?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First fights are so awesome, so interesting, scary, exciting, tiring.

Nice job, young man.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Also before training with Alan i had done many years of traditional ip man wc and none of those hundreds of hours of drills and just no contact cooperating drills didn't really help under that pressure. I have a good reference of what its like now so i can adjust my training to perform better next time.

Yeah which is why when somone asks "How do I prepare for..........."

And I automatically say cardio.

It is just so important.

What was your fight camp like leading up to that?

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Did you know the opponent, previously? Did you have a plan and stick with it? Or did you just follow your A game? Within which rules are you fighting there?

On my first (light contact) fights I did not know the opponent. And the plan was whatever my corned said. :) But it was mostly for practice, since it was done inside the organisation and the opponents where matched by weight (or height), but not by skill (not enough people).

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I must be missing something since apparently no one else is having the problem, but which one are you in the vid?
Early in the round it was apparent one was a muay thai type fighter (stance, tapping of the front foot) though as the round progressed he took on more of a boxer style as his cardio waned as well.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
i had done many years of traditional ip man wc and none of those hundreds of hours of drills and just no contact cooperating drills didn't really help under that pressure.
This isn't a fault in WC techniques. People who know how to use WC or their martial art in a real fight will tell you that you have to use the techniques in sparring and not just against other WC practitioners. You have to learn how to use your WC techniques against other fighting systems, because using WC against another WC practitioner is not the same approach for using WC against a non-Wing Chun fighter. Once you have a WC good application foundation then you'll be able to use WC with no problem in a fight. As it stands your WC training is missing the training that is required to learn how to fight using WC.

You comes in punching with your head down. You have to get rid of that habit. Fighters create a really large blind spot when they come in with their heads down. It leaves the fighter open to dangerous hooks that you'll never see because your head is down.

If you are retreating / disengaging then keep your hands up when you do it. Don't be a head hunter. Work the body and legs then it'll be easier to hit the head.

i have a good reference of someone giving me fast hard shots that I can use to improve my WC application and training.
I like this statement a lot. You didn't say that you would trade your WC to MMA or Muay Thai. You said you would use your experience in the wring to help improve your WC application training. Much respect to you for this.

If you don't know a person's fighting style or system then you need to trigger a little of it to see what you are working with. This is what they guy did to you when he let your first shot come in. He simply watched you and stayed at a distance to easily block what you throw. He didn't feel any danger from your first kick which put him in a comfort zone. Not sure if you noticed but every time you threw a kick he tried to throw a harder kick. If you kick is really strong then his reaction would be different.

Your opponent drops his hands when he kicks so if you flow in the same direction that the kick is flowing then you should be able to close the gap, avoid the power of the kick without blocking and be in a position to strike at a close range. It's a big timing challenge for you to learn but if you can learn it then you'll be able to navigate a lot of those round house kicks to your mid section without worry.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well done anyone who has the balls to step in the ring deserves respect win lose or draw so respect for that.

From a technical standpoint you should walk on blocking the body kick as you seemed to get caught with a lot of them and a couple of times when you moved forward with punches you were looking towards the floor as you moved

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
couple of times when you moved forward with punches you were looking towards the floor as you moved
Out of all of what I saw that's probably the most dangerous one. I'm sure his coach has pointed out this already.

OP
D

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This isn't a fault in WC techniques. People who know how to use WC or their martial art in a real fight will tell you that you have to use the techniques in sparring and not just against other WC practitioners. You have to learn how to use your WC techniques against other fighting systems, because using WC against another WC practitioner is not the same approach for using WC against a non-Wing Chun fighter. Once you have a WC good application foundation then you'll be able to use WC with no problem in a fight. As it stands your WC training is missing the training that is required to learn how to fight using WC.

You comes in punching with your head down. You have to get rid of that habit. Fighters create a really large blind spot when they come in with their heads down. It leaves the fighter open to dangerous hooks that you'll never see because your head is down.

If you are retreating / disengaging then keep your hands up when you do it. Don't be a head hunter. Work the body and legs then it'll be easier to hit the head.

I like this statement a lot. You didn't say that you would trade your WC to MMA or Muay Thai. You said you would use your experience in the wring to help improve your WC application training. Much respect to you for this.

If you don't know a person's fighting style or system then you need to trigger a little of it to see what you are working with. This is what they guy did to you when he let your first shot come in. He simply watched you and stayed at a distance to easily block what you throw. He didn't feel any danger from your first kick which put him in a comfort zone. Not sure if you noticed but every time you threw a kick he tried to throw a harder kick. If you kick is really strong then his reaction would be different.

Your opponent drops his hands when he kicks so if you flow in the same direction that the kick is flowing then you should be able to close the gap, avoid the power of the kick without blocking and be in a position to strike at a close range. It's a big timing challenge for you to learn but if you can learn it then you'll be able to navigate a lot of those round house kicks to your mid section without worry.

Some awesome feedback there. Will keep it in mind.

I didnt know my opponent until I weighed in. It was supposed to be 72 kg and they showed up at 78... but I had done all the training and got down there I felt id be too disappointed to not fight. Def need to prepare harder next time, I gassed out like crazy and just lost all my techniques. Not too sure if that was his first fight too lol didnt seem like it.

My kicks do need a lot of practice, I was training for a boxing match then 1 month before i got told it was kickboxing so just had a month to get some kicks going.

Going to start fixing those holes in my game and get the next win.

I felt good going in to the fight, had good sparring but I didn't spar enough with traditional kickboxers and just a few errors I am aware of that need fixing. Losing this fight really was a kick in the bum to train 110%. Hopefully everyone wc guy can watch this and see the problems they will face.

Yes the bodykicks got me good, my ribs are sore today!

Latest Discussions