My Sparring Vid

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It looks good, You have a few stance issues, and you need to bring your hand back to near your face after punching, but it is a good start.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Im red gloves, any constructive criticism is much appreciated.
I have some things to say but would like to know a little more detail about the sparring. Things like what was your strategy, was there something you were specifically working on. etc. The more background information the better I can make recommendation.

OP
DanT

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have some things to say but would like to know a little more detail about the sparring. Things like what was your strategy, was there something you were specifically working on. etc. The more background information the better I can make recommendation.
I'm wearing the red gloves. me and my kung fu brother were just going at it, trying to apply our wing Chun. In terms of rules just no kicking the knees or groin, and no hitting the neck obviously. We couldn't really catch kicks and sweep because of the floor.

OP
DanT

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It looks good, You have a few stance issues, and you need to bring your hand back to near your face after punching, but it is a good start.
Care to mention the specific stance issues? Any criticism is good!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm wearing the red gloves. me and my kung fu brother were just going at it, trying to apply our wing Chun. In terms of rules just no kicking the knees or groin, and no hitting the neck obviously. We couldn't really catch kicks and sweep because of the floor.
Did you have a strategy or were you just throwing punches?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Care to mention the specific stance issues? Any criticism is good!
There are a couple instances where your feet are just plain too far apart, Shallow up a little, Geeze, And, life just works better if both feet are pointing toward the target, You can duck out the back foot for stability, here and there, but you have no forward launch, with that shallower stance, I was telling you about. o_O

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry, but I can't not say it... You know you're supposed to wear you cup under your pants, right?

I was going to say what I think Touch of Death is getting at...

You're bending too far forward and backward at times. It's like you're reaching too far to punch at times, exposing your face and I think the top of your head at one point. You leaned back too far a few times to avoid getting hit. That exposed your abdomen and put you off balance to set you up for a good sweep (if your opponent could sweep).

I don't know Wing Chun, so I won't go further.

It's easy to play armchair quarterback :) One of these days I'll figure out how to post on YouTube and let everyone pick me apart in retaliation.

Edit: This post and Touch of Death's post crossed. Maybe he didn't mean what I thought he meant.

OP
DanT

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, but I can't not say it... You know you're supposed to wear you cup under your pants, right?

I was going to say what I think Touch of Death is getting at...

You're bending too far forward and backward at times. It's like you're reaching too far to punch at times, exposing your face and I think the top of your head at one point. You leaned back too far a few times to avoid getting hit. That exposed your abdomen and put you off balance to set you up for a good sweep (if your opponent could sweep).

I don't know Wing Chun, so I won't go further.

It's easy to play armchair quarterback :) One of these days I'll figure out how to post on YouTube and let everyone pick me apart in retaliation.

Edit: This post and Touch of Death's post crossed. Maybe he didn't mean what I thought he meant.
I can't get my junk to fit in the jock. No but actually this jock is for the outside of pants, I have one for underneath that I use sometimes as well. I will try to lean less, thanks for the tips!

OP
DanT

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There are a couple instances where your feet are just plain too far apart, Shallow up a little, Geeze, And, life just works better if both feet are pointing toward the target, You can duck out the back foot for stability, here and there, but you have no forward launch, with that shallower stance, I was telling you about. o_O
I'll play around with different widths Saturday morning when I spar next, thanks for that!

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Relax,
Adjust your stance. It is too wide.
You are leaning too often as well in what appears to be your over committing to punching the opponent.
Learn to accept getting hit. It will help you relax.
It appears a lot of your punches are arcing punches vs straight. Many seem almost a semi-hammer fist or were you actually throwing hammer punches vs a straight punch?
Keep sparing.

D

Dylan9d

You are dropping your hands to much, and your punches look like hammerfists instead of straight punches.

Im not Wing Chun expert like these other guys but yeah thats what i saw.

I do appreciate you putting yourself out there, but for someone that trains like a professional fighter I expected more.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I will go plus one on the reaching issue. Use your footwork to move into a position to punch. Rather than trying to punch from wherever you are at the time.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

Congrats Dan! That was actually recognizable Wing Chun!!! :D

Thanks for sharing! My advice...work the angles more. Of course, I am coming from a perspective of TWC footwork, because that is what I've found to work best in a sparring situation. Angle off to give yourself the advantage and put the opponent/partner at a disadvantage. Another useful thing I take from JKD.....learn to punch in combo's from various angles. Only doing straight chain punches is very limiting when sparring. Work on throwing hooking shots to the body and head from in close, somewhat like a boxer. So a good strategy to use is to angle off to the opponent's "blind side" so he only has one arm to bring into the mix, and then unload with a combo to the body and head. He won't be able to stop them all from that position.

OP
DanT

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You are dropping your hands to much, and your punches look like hammerfists instead of straight punches.

Im not Wing Chun expert like these other guys but yeah thats what i saw.

I do appreciate you putting yourself out there, but for someone that trains like a professional fighter I expected more.
Just more motivation for me to work harder! I got a long way to go, and I appreciate the tips. I'll focus on keeping my hands up more next round.

OP
DanT

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I will go plus one on the reaching issue. Use your footwork to move into a position to punch. Rather than trying to punch from wherever you are at the time.
thanks for the tips, I'll do my best to work on that!

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Since I didn't hear anything about strategy from the OP. Here's my tip. When you spar or fight you have to have a strategy or some kind of plan. Hitting just to be hitting isn't going to get you far. I could tell that your sparring partner was hunting for openings. You threw more punches than your sparring opponent did but many of those punches were out of range which means you are wasting energy and effort. The worst part is that you are giving your opponent more than enough opportunity to figure out your timing and patterns of attacks and tell-tale signs. When your punches are wasted, it's like telling your opponent "Hey, this is how I throw this attack." or "Hey, here's my timing. If you have to throw a punch that is not in range then use that punch to close the distance.

Learn how to utilize the parry. If your opponent put his hand or arm in the way then move it. If your opponent punches at you then move it.

Develop some kind of strategy to your fighting.