Vroom Vroom

65392611_10218048086648710_7444881252731060224_o.jpg

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice! Is that a new bike or restoration?

Thank you!

It looks like an old bike, doesn't it? It's a new 2018 Royal Enfield. They're being made in India, the last vestiges of the old UK Royal Enfield company, but still made pretty much the same way they've been making them since the 1950s. They've upgraded them with a unit-construction motor recently, along with ABS disc brakes and fuel injection. Still all steel, though, no plastic. It just really made me happy, and I've been working hard for a long time. It's a reward to myself from me and my wife.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's awesome, dude. Nice reward, enjoy the hell out of it.

And Dog makes a great point about painting the helmet. That would look really nice.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's awesome, dude. Nice reward, enjoy the hell out of it.

And Dog makes a great point about painting the helmet. That would look really nice.

Thanks! I've actually had the helmet for a long time - prior to the current bike. There are several helmets I've got my eye on that match the bike better; just figuring out which one I want. Painting helmets, I'm told, is bad mojo - apparently it can destabilize the whatzit doowahdiddy or something. I've done it with a spray can in the past, but they say not to do it, so I guess I won't. Gotta protect the melon ya know. God knows I've taken enough knocks to it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks! I've actually had the helmet for a long time - prior to the current bike. There are several helmets I've got my eye on that match the bike better; just figuring out which one I want. Painting helmets, I'm told, is bad mojo - apparently it can destabilize the whatzit doowahdiddy or something. I've done it with a spray can in the past, but they say not to do it, so I guess I won't. Gotta protect the melon ya know. God knows I've taken enough knocks to it.

I didn't know that, but I'm all in on the mojo. But, bro, if you can find one that matches that bike color....aw, man, that would smoke.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ooooooooooooh!

Now you're talkin'!

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dang it...now I want one :D

nice bike Bill. Is that the 500cc? Let me know how it goes and about its dependability if you get a chance

Yes, that's the 500cc single cylinder. I love the new twin cylinder 650s, they look like proper and classic British bikes circa 1960, but my eye was set on the Classic 500 with it's 1950s look. I drove down to Chicago to pick it up - it was worth the trip and the rented trailer to get it back to SE Michigan for me. Price was pretty near amazing for a brand-new bike.

I love how it rides; a proper thumper, all torque and growl. No Harley - the pipe is very quiet. Some have removed the stock exhaust and opened up the air filter and added an aftermarket ECU and I am told it makes it a real powerhouse - stock it is not that. I am trying to break it in as instructed, so keeping revs and speed down for a few few hundred miles. I'll say it will probably go on the freeway for short periods but it's not that pleasant. Very buzzy, light in the steering, vibrations. I think it wants to live around 50 to maybe 60 MPH. And that's fine for me. If you want to do the ton, you probably want the 650.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have had my eye on one of those myself.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yes, that's the 500cc single cylinder. I love the new twin cylinder 650s, they look like proper and classic British bikes circa 1960, but my eye was set on the Classic 500 with it's 1950s look. I drove down to Chicago to pick it up - it was worth the trip and the rented trailer to get it back to SE Michigan for me. Price was pretty near amazing for a brand-new bike.

I love how it rides; a proper thumper, all torque and growl. No Harley - the pipe is very quiet. Some have removed the stock exhaust and opened up the air filter and added an aftermarket ECU and I am told it makes it a real powerhouse - stock it is not that. I am trying to break it in as instructed, so keeping revs and speed down for a few few hundred miles. I'll say it will probably go on the freeway for short periods but it's not that pleasant. Very buzzy, light in the steering, vibrations. I think it wants to live around 50 to maybe 60 MPH. And that's fine for me. If you want to do the ton, you probably want the 650.

Thanks Bill, I like the look of the 500 too....but I was just looking at the 650 online, and there is a dealer about 30 minutes from my house....Now, how to convince Mrs Xue that I REALLY need one

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you!

It looks like an old bike, doesn't it? It's a new 2018 Royal Enfield. They're being made in India, the last vestiges of the old UK Royal Enfield company, but still made pretty much the same way they've been making them since the 1950s. They've upgraded them with a unit-construction motor recently, along with ABS disc brakes and fuel injection. Still all steel, though, no plastic. It just really made me happy, and I've been working hard for a long time. It's a reward to myself from me and my wife.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice, Bill. I keep hoping I'll be able to afford a bike again sometime. Back in my 20's, for 8 years a bike was my primary transport. I don't miss riding in the rain and cold weather, but I very much miss riding out on a crisp morning.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Taking with a couple long time Harley guys I know today about the new Royal Enfields and both said the same thing.

They are solid and dependable bikes, they were just to small for them. But both were impressed by it though

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Taking with a couple long time Harley guys I know today about the new Royal Enfields and both said the same thing.

They are solid and dependable bikes, they were just to small for them. But both were impressed by it though

And I think Harleys are good bikes. However, I want what I want. And I don't want the same bike that 94% of everybody wants. 500cc is fine for me.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
From the dealership Harley's are getting a bit bland, but to me nothing is better than a custom big frame Harley.
To each his own by all means.

Latest Discussions