my first police interview

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It happens don't feel bad about it. I think I read once the average officer applied to 6 departments before getting hired. I applied to 3 at same time when I got hired.

OP
B

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps I'll take up spanish. I thought I had all the right things going - local, college grad, strong work history, attended the citizen's academy classes. they are offerring a citizen emergency preparedness class, teaching light search/rescue, basic first aid and other stuff. I'll have to see if work will work with me so that I can attend those classes.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am not sure I would want to hire anyone for any job who presented themselves that way.

YMMV

Once requirements are met, departments, on the whole, want people who will follow procedure. When it comes to the interview process, the people doing the interviewing are usually well versed in how applicants try to present themselves. They're not looking for personalities, they're looking for workers that they'll never regret hiring. Keep in mind, the "requirements" I mentioned are usually pretty stringent. And they are right there in front of the interviewer. He's already seen (on paper) what you've done up until this point.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my 'You are not being eliminated, but other candidates are moving forward at this time' letter today.

Don't take it too personally; the majority of the process is simply designed to weed the list down. In a lot of agencies, they make a list from the applicants, and they process them all to a certain point, unless they get eliminated, of course. So everyone may do the written test, everyone may do the agility test and interviews, but then they don't do psych evals or medical exams or BIs until they get to that point in the list. So, if they have 1 opening right now, they may be looking at candidates that ranked 1 through 5 -- and you could simply be #6. (It's really frustrating to be #4 when they're hiring 3...) If they need another candidate, they'll go to the next name on the list... and so on, until the list expires.

Contact the department; as I recall, you had an in already. Find out how to make yourself a stronger candidate. Did they stop because you don't have a degree, or just scored 1 point lower on the written test? Did you put your foot in your mouth during the interview? Take what they tell you and use it to improve yourself for the next process.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps I'll take up spanish. I thought I had all the right things going - local, college grad, strong work history, attended the citizen's academy classes. they are offerring a citizen emergency preparedness class, teaching light search/rescue, basic first aid and other stuff. I'll have to see if work will work with me so that I can attend those classes.

Spanish might be very positive -- but as I said, you might just have been #6 and they're moving 5 forward. Sometimes it's that simple. Or they have a couple of lateral candidates, meaning they don't have to send them to an academy and can put them on street right away.

One note on the citizen's academies and such... they don't necessarily look "good." They can look majorly wanna-be... and that can be a bad thing. One or two, or something like volunteering on a local search & rescue where you actually put the skills to use can be good, but just collecting citizen classes without use can look a little squirrelly, if you get what I'm saying.

OP
B

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, considering that this class is to react during a major disaster situation, I do sort of hope I dont' have to use it. Granted, we do get tornados every year, and 6 years ago a tornado tore up the next town over, killed a lot of people. If nothing else, the first aid/cpr stuff is valuable, and the training is free. If something happens and I can't take the class, I may try and get the Y that I teach at to cover the cost of a cpr class.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that... Been there myself. It ain't fun, but keep trying. And keep your hopes up. Odds are that about half of that group won't go any further, and depending on how things go -- you might get a call a few months down the road.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's a thought; reserve if your city or county has one. It can be easier to move from volunteer reserve forces to full time, especially if you have good reviews. In Colorado, years ago, I remember the waiting lines were so long that some people were paying out of their own pockets to attend CERT training (required for all Colorado Peace Officers at the time, no matter what jurisdiction). They could then apply for 'lateral' positions that was for those already CERT certified. Just some suggestions.

SavageMan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When I started trying to get a job in Law enforcement I was told that on average it takes a person 3 to 5 years to get in. Agencies want to see that you are serious about it and not just a passing phase or a mid life crisis depending on your age.:) That's part of the reason behind the ( What other agencies have you applied for? ) question on the application. It took me 5 years to get my first job as a Preston County Sheriff's Deputy. And I was turned down for two jobs after that. Listen to Mr. Mattocks, I started out as a municipal auxiliary officer. The training and experience gained is priceless. You will be able to walk into the interview with a working knowledge of paper work, computer systems, policies and procedures. With that kind of experience all you need to do is show them in the next interview you have a good moral standing, good physical stamina, and common sense and you'll have a better than average chance against the other candidates. Good luck and keep trying.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can't beat the too-many-people, too-few-slots problem. Learn from it, hope something opens up, and look for other, similar opportunities nearby.

OP
B

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The city does not have a reserve of any kind. I'm looking at the other agencies around here, but I realized the other day that they all took applications at the same time. The reason? The state has 1 academy, everyone has to go there, so everyone has to hire at the same time. I'm still looking for any place taking applications, just realizing that my narrow focus this time around has possibly delayed me starting a new career. It's a learning process. Still kind of a punch in the gut to find out you were one away from moving forward. There is always hope that the top guys don't turn out to be what they are looking for.

Of course, there is always the fire department, but I'm scared of fire. And heights. So I don't think that will work out so well.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Reapply?

I've been there too. On my first attempt, about 60% of the applicants had made more than one application attempt.

Of the successful applicants, I'd say that was closer to 90%.

Without any sarcasm intended, it also gives you a year to think about what you will do differently next time.

I gave it up after attempt 2.

Gnarlie

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The city does not have a reserve of any kind. I'm looking at the other agencies around here, but I realized the other day that they all took applications at the same time. The reason? The state has 1 academy, everyone has to go there, so everyone has to hire at the same time. I'm still looking for any place taking applications, just realizing that my narrow focus this time around has possibly delayed me starting a new career. It's a learning process. Still kind of a punch in the gut to find out you were one away from moving forward. There is always hope that the top guys don't turn out to be what they are looking for.

Of course, there is always the fire department, but I'm scared of fire. And heights. So I don't think that will work out so well.

If you are serious about a career in law enforcement, you will either have to pin your hopes on getting in at the agency you want to work for, or going where the work is. I do not know where the current 'hot spots' are, but when I was first getting started, there were recruiters who used to visit from Houston and Miami Dade County. Those were the 'war zones' at the time; anyone with a pulse and a clean criminal background could get hired. I doubt it's the same now, but here's the takeaway; there are jobs in law enforcement, but you have to go to where they are. It can mean low pay in small towns in out-of-the-way places. But it gets you in the door and often gets you sent to the local or state certification course or academy.

If YOU want to work in LE, then YOU have to pursue it; it won't come to you. There will always be more applicants than jobs available.

Consider also taking a job in dispatch, or custodial law enforcement at local penal institutions. Those are also ways to get to know officers and make contacts.

FYI, if you're scared of fire and heights, you might want to reconsider your LE career choice. You'll be dealing with both. And blood and guts too.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't give up hope! As JKS said, just because those 12 moved on, doesn't mean they're a definate. Hang in there, and who knows, you might here something. Alot of places keep a list for a year or so. And I'm sure I don't have to tell you this, but keep on applying. :)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are serious about a career in law enforcement, you will either have to pin your hopes on getting in at the agency you want to work for, or going where the work is. I do not know where the current 'hot spots' are, but when I was first getting started, there were recruiters who used to visit from Houston and Miami Dade County. Those were the 'war zones' at the time; anyone with a pulse and a clean criminal background could get hired. I doubt it's the same now, but here's the takeaway; there are jobs in law enforcement, but you have to go to where they are. It can mean low pay in small towns in out-of-the-way places. But it gets you in the door and often gets you sent to the local or state certification course or academy.

If YOU want to work in LE, then YOU have to pursue it; it won't come to you. There will always be more applicants than jobs available.

Consider also taking a job in dispatch, or custodial law enforcement at local penal institutions. Those are also ways to get to know officers and make contacts.

FYI, if you're scared of fire and heights, you might want to reconsider your LE career choice. You'll be dealing with both. And blood and guts too.

All good advice. As to the bold portion - I heard of a government custodian job, as in emptying trash and mopping floors, with over 5000 applicants. There will usually be more applicants that jobs in a good economy. This isn't a good economy.

OP
B

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ran into a guy last week that I did the physical fitness exam with, he said he had moved forward to the background and poly. But, he's unemployed and just got offered a well paying job, so he had to decide to drop out or stay unemployed and hope he got hired. Today, phone rings. I have another interview. Apparently a very long interview. I never got a letter that I was bumped up, but hey, getting the interview is the important part.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ran into a guy last week that I did the physical fitness exam with, he said he had moved forward to the background and poly. But, he's unemployed and just got offered a well paying job, so he had to decide to drop out or stay unemployed and hope he got hired. Today, phone rings. I have another interview. Apparently a very long interview. I never got a letter that I was bumped up, but hey, getting the interview is the important part.

Awesome!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I really hope it goes well for you!

Latest Discussions