What Do You Think Are The Best Self Defense Weapons?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
First, I think the best weapon is your mind working on getting out of the situation without resorting to violence.

Second, as a Hapkidoist, I would carry a short stick. It can by used in many defenses and doesn't set of metal detectors.

YMMV

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi Streetready,
I won't say to much of the obvious like being aware of your surroundings(which is one of the greatest self defense tactic you can arm yourself with)avoiding bad areas etc etc.

Self defense is a pretty wide defination because I think you are more likely to need to defend against flat tires, accidents, emergency situations over someone trying to rob you.

I carry with me a knife, not really for stabbing someone but something to cut a seat belt or cut rope or cloth for first aid. My cell phone and thats about it.
My father-in-law in China carries 兩節棍 Liang Jie Gun also called Nunchaku, butterfly knife, and a kutoban, he also was in the Republic of China Marine Corp so he can handle himself fine.

I think carrying any weapon without proper knowledge of use is dangerous, pulling a weapon on someone without the intent on using it might escalate the attacker to use lethal force on you even with your own weapon so something to consider with weapons.

Christian Soldier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A lot of guys say Nikes are going to be your best ally but Starters from walmart work just as well for half the price. :)

The best self defence weapon you have is your mind. The other things you might have in your pockets are just tools that help you survive. Whatever you choose, you will have to train with it, a lot. If it's your bare hands, spend a lot of time in the SD school, or MA school. If it's a knife, see if you can find a knife instructor and practice 'impact drills' often. If it's a gun, expct to spend a lot of time at the range. Money spent on ammo is money well spent. Practice CQB drills as well and drawing from your concealed holster. If you are looking into a gun for SD, I would suggest a light weight Ruger 38.

The best tool is the one that keeps you alive. The most readily available and effective weapons might be your car, your camp knife, or your hunting rifle; the important thing is to be prepared, and stay alive.

OP
S

StreetReady

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
There's no doubt the human mind is the ultimate weapon in saving yourself. However, as a supplemental tool, ideally, I'd carry a gun everywhere I go. Unfortunately, that's not a feasible option everywhere.

I think knives are a good weapon to carry but you risk it getting used against you if you have no clue to what you're doing.

But if you definitely have no options, I think anything can be used as a weapon. Rocks, sticks, pens, even dirt and sand. It all starts with the survival mindset.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no doubt the human mind is the ultimate weapon in saving yourself. However, as a supplemental tool, ideally, I'd carry a gun everywhere I go. Unfortunately, that's not a feasible option everywhere.

I think knives are a good weapon to carry but you risk it getting used against you if you have no clue to what you're doing.

But if you definitely have no options, I think anything can be used as a weapon. Rocks, sticks, pens, even dirt and sand. It all starts with the survival mindset.

Always good to watch!

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Proper training and knowledge of the local laws regarding such things.

To elaborate, the laws in different countries and locations (state to state, for instance) will have different laws regarding weaponry. You may prefer a gun, but you don't have that choice in Australia. Knives, similarly, are a difficult thing to explain (depending on your day-to-day life, and potential reasons for having it), so the first thing is to know what is available to you.

Next, the greatest weapon in the world is useless if you don't have the proper training to be able to use it. So advising a short stick to someone who's never used such an item is rather pointless. It's a force multiplier, but still needs to be trained properly to really be a reliable weapon for self defence. And, of course, the same goes with the rest of the list.

OP
S

StreetReady

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Proper training and knowledge of the local laws regarding such things.

To elaborate, the laws in different countries and locations (state to state, for instance) will have different laws regarding weaponry. You may prefer a gun, but you don't have that choice in Australia. Knives, similarly, are a difficult thing to explain (depending on your day-to-day life, and potential reasons for having it), so the first thing is to know what is available to you.

Excellent point regarding the law. What types of weapons are typically used in violent attacks in Australia? Are there any statistics on that?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are statistics, if you know where to look. Dominantly knives, bats, sporting equipment (baseball bats, golf clubs etc). Rival gangs have been known to use firearms, but it's not a common weapon in "street" assaults.

Bobby135

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I would always say that your awareness is best and if you can avoid the situation whether it be running or altogether then you are much better off. Seeing that we are talking about potential weapons to use if the self defense situation were to arise I have a few points to make.

1. Make sure you have training in whatever it is that you are using
2. Be prepared to use it if need be. This is especially true when it comes to knives. Blood is never a pretty site, and cutting someone is very personal and very messy.
3. Make sure it is legal to carry and cannot be considered a weapon that is meant to cause harm. As I have read, you are better off carrying an item that is useful in day to day business such as a pen or knife that is functional. If you carry a "tactical weapon" whether it be a knife, pen, flashlight etc... then there is potential that you may not be looked upon favorably in the courts eyes.

As for me, I prefer a very good sturdy pen that is usable in my daily life. I have a knife (typicallly a leatherman/survival type with multiple tools) and flashlight with me if I am going on trips or anything like that.

I hope that makes sense!!!

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Next, the greatest weapon in the world is useless if you don't have the proper training to be able to use it. So advising a short stick to someone who's never used such an item is rather pointless. It's a force multiplier, but still needs to be trained properly to really be a reliable weapon for self defence. And, of course, the same goes with the rest of the list.

Since I am the only one who mentioned a short stick, I guess the above is directed at me? The OP's question was "... what would you use?" So what would I use? As I said, as a Hapkidoist, I would use a short stick. In the Hapkido I learned, we did a lot of short stick defense between 1st and 2nd dan, including for sword defense. From 2nd to 3rd dan, there was even more training with the short stick. So if I had to choose a weapon, that is what I would use since I am trained with it.

If others are students of Hapkido, and did not learn that, I would not advise them to try and use it. But you are correct, no matter the weapon, you should train with it so you can indeed use it effectively.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My favorite self defense weapon is my car followed closely by my cellular phone. After that, just whatever I can get my hands on.

Christian Soldier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My favorite self defense weapon is my car followed closely by my cellular phone. After that, just whatever I can get my hands on.

I've also heard 'The best knife is the one you have with you' and I think this school of thought applies here. You probably always have your cell phone, which can bring ambulences, cops, and even fire trucks within a few minutes if you live in a residential area. Very usefull tool.

An attack helicopter might be your best tool to survive a fight, but chances are you won't have one with you, nor will you have time to deploy it when attacked. My father considered carrying a fullsize 1911 for awhile but settled on a light weight 38. becuase it's much more comforatable to carry and he'd be more likely to carry it because of that (it's also cheaper if you lose it to the legal system).

It'd be helpfull to know about where you live so we can make a more informed based on your local laws.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Since I am the only one who mentioned a short stick, I guess the above is directed at me? The OP's question was "... what would you use?" So what would I use? As I said, as a Hapkidoist, I would use a short stick. In the Hapkido I learned, we did a lot of short stick defense between 1st and 2nd dan, including for sword defense. From 2nd to 3rd dan, there was even more training with the short stick. So if I had to choose a weapon, that is what I would use since I am trained with it.

If others are students of Hapkido, and did not learn that, I would not advise them to try and use it. But you are correct, no matter the weapon, you should train with it so you can indeed use it effectively.

Ha, no, not directed at you, more at our young thread starter, pointing out that a short stick would be good for you, given your training background, but the reason isn't the weapon, it's the training that you have in using and employing it. I was just using a previously mentioned item, which happened to be a short stick, to make my point about proper training being required.

I personally own a Glock Model 23. I love it and take it everywhere I'm allowed to.

And exactly how does your Glock fit in with your own OP of "any weapon besides a gun"..? Not really following your own rules, there....

WingChunIan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Personally I'm thankful that I live in a country where folks aren't allowed to carry guns and as a consequence gun related violence is restricted mostly to drug gangs and armed robbery. Knife attacks and attacks with improvised weapons are far more common here but would I carry a weapon? simple answer is no. Firstly carrying a weapon in the UK removes any basis for self defence as a defence in court, secondly producing a weapon in a confrontation immediately escalates the situation potentially leading to production / use of more weapons and /or the involvement of more parties (as illustration I was once privy to a little skirmish with about 20 or 30 on each side and not a weapon in sight, after about five or ten minutes of scrapping, a t*%t with a handle bar moustache and long leather coat suddenly produced a carving knife. Within seconds everyone within sight was armed with weapons ranging from knives and bars to house bricks, iron railings and car exhausts!). If i'm out matched or the assailant is armed I will look for something to tool up with but improv' weapons are the only sort I consider.

Christian Soldier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I personally own a Glock Model 23. I love it and take it everywhere I'm allowed to.

Well then, I'm not a big glock fan but a gun's a gun. Train with it very often (there are many different drills you can do) and take use of professional instruction. If you do that and remain situationally aware, you will be pretty well off.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Well then, I'm not a big glock fan but a gun's a gun. Train with it very often (there are many different drills you can do) and take use of professional instruction. If you do that and remain situationally aware, you will be pretty well off.

Frankly, I am big on carrying guns. Even when I carried a gun as part of my daily life, it would not necessarily have been the first thing I reached for. Now granted, there are times that if you have one, that is the best thing to have in your hand.

But the problem with guns, is that if you draw a gun, you have no where else to go. You have to shoot it if you must defend yourself. You may say you can pistol whip someone, and I guess that is true, but the gun is not designed as a club. It is designed to forcefully and quickly move a projectile into an opponent, and that is the way it is best used. I believe a trained MA should be able to, and to seek to, use other defenses in most circumstances.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Frankly, I am big on carrying guns. Even when I carried a gun as part of my daily life, it would not necessarily have been the first thing I reached for. Now granted, there are times that if you have one, that is the best thing to have in your hand.

But the problem with guns, is that if you draw a gun, you have no where else to go. You have to shoot it if you must defend yourself. You may say you can pistol whip someone, and I guess that is true, but the gun is not designed as a club. It is designed to forcefully and quickly move a projectile into an opponent, and that is the way it is best used. I believe a trained MA should be able to, and to seek to, use other defenses in most circumstances.

I don't seem to be able to edit the above post. What I meant to say was I am NOT big on carrying guns.

Latest Discussions