My fellow 80's children, this must not be tolerasted.......

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
....I can't be the only one to notice this sudden spike in attempted remakes of 80's shows.

You know what I bet it is?

Alla these young up-and-coming executives are our age now and miss when they were kids and there was still material on TV worth watching ( Well let's face facts--the *worst* stuff to come out of the 80's is better than the *best* stuff now).

But there are some shows that weree popular then that really only could have worked *then* ( I saw recently that they tried to do a remake of Knight Rider, but honestly, the way technology was in the 80's that was a cool concept, but nowadays anyone with half an idea what they were doing could build what amounts to K.I.T.T.).

Then just before that was this horrocious( is that a word? It is now)attempt at a new Terminator series which was basically *destined* to fail because they went and retconned all of the elements that made the original series *good*.

And now I'm hearing these whispers of an A-Team movie....and I'm thinkin' to myself......WHY??!?!?!?!

Yeah, OK, you could do one, being as there's the backdrop of our current unpleasantness to work against, but to what point and purpose? What are we gonna have, friggin' Ben Stiller as B.A. or something?

And They're lookin', so I hear, at Matthew McConaghey for a Magnum P.I. redux. This having been a close friend's fave 80's show, I'm almost afraid to break the news to him.)

They had cursed well better leave my beloved Airwolf alone or there Will be trouble....Oh yes.........

Wasn't it a hell of a lot more fun to go to movies or watch the idiot box before anything original or creative got shut down because it was a *gasp* RISK!!!!!!!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not that I disagree with the basic premis of Andy's post (viz the bean-counters have inherited the tele-visual Earth, to the detriment of all) but are me and my missus the only people to like the Sarah Conner Chronicles?

I'm waiting for them to address the 'paradoxes' currently evident but the cues that 'summat weird' is afoot have my speculation 'bump' running in overdrive.

Plus, Summer Glau and Lena Headey on-screen together - I'm not so much of an adorer of the skinny gals but these two have a certain something :D.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, all these remakes stink ..... but that won't stop me from standing in line to see the 'Get Smart' movie this summer.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
....I can't be the only one to notice this sudden spike in attempted remakes of 80's shows.

You know what I bet it is?

Alla these young up-and-coming executives are our age now and miss when they were kids and there was still material on TV worth watching ( Well let's face facts--the *worst* stuff to come out of the 80's is better than the *best* stuff now).

But there are some shows that weree popular then that really only could have worked *then* ( I saw recently that they tried to do a remake of Knight Rider, but honestly, the way technology was in the 80's that was a cool concept, but nowadays anyone with half an idea what they were doing could build what amounts to K.I.T.T.).

Then just before that was this horrocious( is that a word? It is now)attempt at a new Terminator series which was basically *destined* to fail because they went and retconned all of the elements that made the original series *good*.

And now I'm hearing these whispers of an A-Team movie....and I'm thinkin' to myself......WHY??!?!?!?!

Yeah, OK, you could do one, being as there's the backdrop of our current unpleasantness to work against, but to what point and purpose? What are we gonna have, friggin' Ben Stiller as B.A. or something?

And They're lookin', so I hear, at Matthew McConaghey for a Magnum P.I. redux. This having been a close friend's fave 80's show, I'm almost afraid to break the news to him.)

They had cursed well better leave my beloved Airwolf alone or there Will be trouble....Oh yes.........

Wasn't it a hell of a lot more fun to go to movies or watch the idiot box before anything original or creative got shut down because it was a *gasp* RISK!!!!!!!
I hated the A Team. The new one has to be better.
Sean

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Who is playing Mr T?
Ice Cube is rumored to play B.A. but says he will inject his own persona into the character and leave T's gruffiness alone.

Hollywood screen writers need to spend a hellva lot more time in the library and they'll find TONS upon TONS of ideas for new scripts, shows, etc.

But why not go with a forumla that works? Because it made money... that's what it all boils down to... Money.

Can anyone imagine a McGyver movie... I can... chances are ... they'll do it.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
The last rumor I read said that Ice T wants the role. He said that he plans on going with the mohawk.
OH, it's a comedy? :D

Sukerkin said:
are me and my missus the only people to like the Sarah Conner Chronicles?
I've been tempted, but my own missus is watching less and less TV, so I'm trying to keep my own to a minimum. But if you like it.... :)

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Apparently CHiPs is being remade it is in pre-production with a 2009 release date. What a shame. That was one of my favorites...

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Apparently CHiPs is being remade it is in pre-production with a 2009 release date. What a shame. That was one of my favorites...
Yeah, my daughter was addicted to that show.

I thought this was a joke at first, but if not I have to ask, don't we have any one around who has a new idea or two? What, we just got suddenly stupid(er) as a society? I mean, c'mon. What's next, Bonanza? 20-Mule Team from Borax? Wagon Train? (Got a lot of ya, didn't I? :rofl:)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y'know what I wanna see?

A remake of H R Puffenstuf!

Or maybe Space:1999 or, even better.... UFO (Okay, they weren't made in the 80s... but they were set close to the 1980s!)

Oh... you want me to stick with the 80s? How about Buck Rogers in The 25th Century (a 21st Century remake)...

Or... I take no responsibility for any damaged psyches for this one!

The Love Boat

(Fred Grandy, AKA Gopher, actually became a Congressman; he currently is a morning radio personality in Washington DC! I'm sure he could be persuaded to reprise his role...)

Oh... wait... I almost forgot The Phoenix or Manimal...

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
Y'know what I wanna see?

A remake of H R Puffenstuf!

Or maybe Space:1999 or, even better.... UFO (Okay, they weren't made in the 80s... but they were set close to the 1980s!)

Oh... you want me to stick with the 80s? How about Buck Rogers in The 25th Century (a 21st Century remake)...

Or... I take no responsibility for any damaged psyches for this one!

The Love Boat

(Fred Grandy, AKA Gopher, actually became a Congressman; he currently is a morning radio personality in Washington DC! I'm sure he could be persuaded to reprise his role...)

Oh... wait... I almost forgot The Phoenix or Manimal...
I believe that they tried the bring The Love Boat back a few years ago. It didn't take.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Fantasy Island

Simon & Simon

Cosby Show

Cheers

The Jefferson

Different Strokes

Facts of Life

(Fresh Prince of Bel Air..thinking 90s)

hehe memory lane. Just a kid watching tv.

Latest Discussions