MT Mentor

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering something here about the mentor badge. Does a mentor help members in their particular art, through the particular forum?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, that's not exactly what is meant by it… although, that doesn't by any stretch of the imagination prevent them from doing just that. Ideally, Mentors are chosen for a range of factors, including positive contributions to the board, which might pertain to knowledge, or simply being a good representative here. The aim is for them to be a "friendly face"… someone that can be approached to ask questions of, or to help steer conversations in a positive direction. Of course, as we're all human, things don't always work out that way… but hopefully, in the main, that's what we do.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, that's not exactly what is meant by it… although, that doesn't by any stretch of the imagination prevent them from doing just that. Ideally, Mentors are chosen for a range of factors, including positive contributions to the board, which might pertain to knowledge, or simply being a good representative here. The aim is for them to be a "friendly face"… someone that can be approached to ask questions of, or to help steer conversations in a positive direction. Of course, as we're all human, things don't always work out that way… but hopefully, in the main, that's what we do.

Ah, light bulb moment for me. Yeah that answers it. Cheers :)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah, light bulb moment for me. Yeah that answers it. Cheers :)
We look for active members who make regular positive contributions to the site, who encourage conversations and help guide new members. We've also used the Mentors as the pool we look to when considering new moderators. A lot of the mentors are also former mods who have stepped down, but still want to be involved in growing the site.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To add to what Chris has said: Mentors have been around a while (on the forum), post often, welcome new people, try to keep threads on line( which is impossible at times), and are responsible to all rules and regulations just like everyone else.
They are selected by the mods, admins., and other mentors talked about and discussed as to there good points and bad. Then it is up to mods, and admins to send out invitations or at one time talk to them on the phone ( I think this may no longer be the case since we are international now).
Heck I see BOB posted while I was trying to write this. What he said

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To add to what Chris has said: Mentors have been around a while (on the forum), post often, welcome new people, try to keep threads on line( which is impossible at times), and are responsible to all rules and regulations just like everyone else.
They are selected by the mods, admins., and other mentors talked about and discussed as to there good points and bad. Then it is up to mods, and admins to send out invitations or at one time talk to them on the phone ( I think this may no longer be the case since we are international now).
Heck I see BOB posted while I was trying to write this. What he said

Yeah. I'm quite prone for tangents. I did notice the badges of office, but did not link the stepping down. Mind you with the net, international does mean too much with communicating these days.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah. I'm quite prone for tangents. I did notice the badges of office, but did not link the stepping down. Mind you with the net, international does mean too much with communicating these days.

Those who are former staff and stepped down will have the "Alumni" badge.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator, Senior Mod, Super Mod and Administrator are all staff titles that indicate different levels of responsibility. It largely only matters for "back room" stuff.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moderator, Senior Mod, Super Mod and Administrator are all staff titles that indicate different levels of responsibility. It largely only matters for "back room" stuff.

Yeah, used to be a mod myself, forum and global. Was very hard at times, especially banning users on a repeat basis. Did not access to the back room.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Given some of the rants I've gotten over the years, I sometimes thought drunk was the only way to go. Bloody rum's always gone though. :)

There's a little redundancy in the badges right now as we're doing some reorganization on the staff levels. Should be streamlined shortly. I mean, some of us look like North Korean generals we got so many medals and badges. I think one of mine's for a spelling bee. :D

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No. But you can have a purple nurple.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Really.