Mother and Daughter karateka defend against carjackers

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Those kind of stories always sound suspicious to me especially when they say they can remember every move and who taught it to them as it was happening and could her dads voice. That sounds like something out of Star Wars

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The chances of you not getting stabbed are low. If you fight someone with a knife, unlike on films, you will always be stabbed, the difference with training is that you won't be killed and have a very good chance of prevailing. Too many think that you can fight off a knife attack without getting caught. Try the marker pen exercise or buy one of those practice knives with a marker inside and see how many times even with good techniques you get tagged. The trick of course is limiting where you get tagged and to what extant.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The chances of you not getting stabbed are low. If you fight someone with a knife, unlike on films, you will always be stabbed, the difference with training is that you won't be killed and have a very good chance of prevailing. Too many think that you can fight off a knife attack without getting caught. Try the marker pen exercise or buy one of those practice knives with a marker inside and see how many times even with good techniques you get tagged. The trick of course is limiting where you get tagged and to what extant.
This is part of what I teach when teaching weapon defense. I know folks who have successfully defended against knives (2, maybe 3 of them I can think of off the top of my head). Only one of them got cut, but I've always assumed that 2/3 not being cut was a statistical anomaly. I'd expect the vast majority of times that a defender will get cut, simply because you have to work so hard at not getting stabbed.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is part of what I teach when teaching weapon defense. I know folks who have successfully defended against knives (2, maybe 3 of them I can think of off the top of my head). Only one of them got cut, but I've always assumed that 2/3 not being cut was a statistical anomaly. I'd expect the vast majority of times that a defender will get cut, simply because you have to work so hard at not getting stabbed.

There are more factors involved.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Generally.

I mean think about a short fight say 3 to 10 seconds. They can be pretty one sided affairs.

Knife does not really change that.
Not if the fight ends that quickly. If you were going to lose in that time, you're going to still lose. If you were going to win against them in that time, you'll still win (barring something catastrophic like a major artery, major organ, cut tendons, etc.). But you'll probably get cut, and if you know the knife is there, any adaptations you make to avoid stabs are more likely to expose you to a cut.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Those kind of stories always sound suspicious to me especially when they say they can remember every move and who taught it to them as it was happening and could her dads voice. That sounds like something out of Star Wars

Interesting responses to the story at the link. First, Kickboxer101, I guess you get around more than me as I don't even hear a lot of such stories. Of course, I don't normally go looking for them either. But the lady, her husband, and her daughter own/train at a school. A little self advertisement over such a traumatic event doesn't seem out of place.

Others commenting on the fact that fighting against a knife subjects one to the likelihood of being cut with the knife seems to be stating the obvious. Both the lady and her daughter were indeed wounded. But anything worse the attackers might have considered doing, when they started the attack, or as they progressed in it, was thwarted in the process, and only the car was stolen.

I don't know what threat was perceived by mother or daughter. If all they were going to lose was a car, it doesn't seem worth the consequences to have fought. But since I don't know, I don't think I am in a position to condemn or congratulate.

Latest Discussions