My New Stance Habit

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
These days I tend to stand in a fighting stance with shoulders completely square with angled hips, which is made better the more mobile my hips get. I've noticed some quirks with standing in such stance.

1) energy spending difference compared to typical 45° stance — usually when throwing punches, the lead hand and the rear hand take about, I would say a 1:3 ratio. Because the lead straight punch is just a pump, while the rear hand is more a lunge or twist. When my shoulders are completely square, I have no lead or rear hand. I spend equal energy no matter what side I throw from. I'm aware of any potential weaknesses with that fact, and I'm fine with them. I'm not much of a jabber.

2) The Scotty Boy is back — I can now make conscious choices to jab with my right hand and throw crosses with my left. Not extraordinary to hear, but it does make some of my combos a lot more interesting.

3) Wound-up core — I've noticed that maintaining open hips while having my body twisted makes my back leg's kicks come out with less effort, and I can kick with the other leg without having to suffle or step. Also a lot more momentum in spinning kicks. Hooks too.

I've never seen it prior, so it wasn't inspired by anything. I would coin a term for it if it wasn't so mundane.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds dangerous to me. If I want to jab with my right, I just switch leads. I don't stand at as big an angle as some do, but I'm not squared up either.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You are the next Ferguson. :)
More seriously. Probably no one will say you you had a great idea. But it may work for you, anyway. Keep testing it at come back here with news in the near future. ;)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have four stances that I switch between. Either mostly sideways with my right foot forward, mostly (but not fully) squared up) with my right foot forward, and the same two stances but with the left foot forward. The stance I choose depends on the opponent, and I will switch between right and left side forward throughout the fight.

Mostly sideways with my left foot forward is my least favorite of them though, since my left leg is much weaker/slower than I would like it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
These days I tend to stand in a fighting stance with shoulders completely square with angled hips, which is made better the more mobile my hips get. I've noticed some quirks with standing in such stance.

1) energy spending difference compared to typical 45° stance — usually when throwing punches, the lead hand and the rear hand take about, I would say a 1:3 ratio. Because the lead straight punch is just a pump, while the rear hand is more a lunge or twist. When my shoulders are completely square, I have no lead or rear hand. I spend equal energy no matter what side I throw from. I'm aware of any potential weaknesses with that fact, and I'm fine with them. I'm not much of a jabber.

2) The Scotty Boy is back — I can now make conscious choices to jab with my right hand and throw crosses with my left. Not extraordinary to hear, but it does make some of my combos a lot more interesting.

3) Wound-up core — I've noticed that maintaining open hips while having my body twisted makes my back leg's kicks come out with less effort, and I can kick with the other leg without having to suffle or step. Also a lot more momentum in spinning kicks. Hooks too.

I've never seen it prior, so it wasn't inspired by anything. I would coin a term for it if it wasn't so mundane.
From what you are saying, it reminds me a bit of the stance @Kung Fu Wang suggested a while back, which is somewhat squared up, but with left food forward and right hand forward or vice versa.

With that said, and hopefully he can shed light on the benefits, here are my viewpoints on your three benefits.

My issue with this statement is that if you are spending less energy into your 'rearhand punch', you're not getting the most that you can out of that strike. your punch will never have all the power that it can because your not putting your entire body with it.

The issue with this is that you are calling them a jab or a cross, but if they are being thrown from the same start position, neither one will be a full jab or a full cross. The reason the 'scotty boy' works, IMO, is that it can be thrown intermittently with a cross, so you are expecting a cross when it's thrown. Here, no one will be expecting a cross because you will be incapable of throwing one in that position.

This point sounds valid to me, and is definitely something worth experimenting with if you are a kicker. My only concern would be that it's easier to telegraph, but without seeing it in action, I don't know if that concern has any validity to it.

With all that said, I'm not knocking the idea. It has potential with kicks, and if you can find a way to still generate all your power in that stance (which would require more energy being spent then you are suggesting) I could definitely see it being useful.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We used to call stances like that - a "corkscrew stance".

The more you play with it the more you'll learn about it, and that's going to be both good...and not so good. But I think it's great you're experimenting with these things. Great way to learn a lot of things about your stance - and other peoples stances as well.

Sometimes they'll end up referring to some of your opponents as "The Janitor" because you're going to get swept a whole bunch by savvy fighters.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
From what you are saying, it reminds me a bit of the stance @Kung Fu Wang suggested a while back, which is somewhat squared up, but with left food forward and right hand forward or vice versa.

With that said, and hopefully he can shed light on the benefits, here are my viewpoints on your three benefits.
The left foot forward and right hand forward stance is called "cross stance".

PRO:

- Both of your hands will have the same reach (square shoulder).
- Your back right hand is always in "compress" mode and ready to punch (release).

CON:

- Your chest will face to your opponent in a 90 degree angle. This is the general draw back for the "square shoulder" which compare to the "side stance - left foot forward with left hand forward" that your chest is facing to your opponent only in a 45 degree angle (less area).

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The left foot forward and right hand forward stance is called "cross stance".

PRO:

- Both of your hands will have the same reach (square shoulder).
- Your back right hand is always in "compress" mode and ready to punch (release).

CON:

- Your chest will face to your opponent in a 90 degree angle. This is the general draw back for the "square shoulder" which compare to the "side stance - left foot forward with left hand forward" that your chest is facing to your opponent only in a 45 degree angle (less area).
Any comment on the power of the punch from each hand, compared to a jab or cross?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Any comment on the power of the punch from each hand, compared to a jab or cross?
When you are in a right foot forward with left hand forward "cross stance", your "right jab" is more powerful than the right foot forward with right hand forward "side stance" right jab. But your right hand will need to travel more distance. After that "cross stance" right jab, your jab and cross will be the same as the jab and cross used in the "side stance". The only difference is the initial "jab".

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
ADD ON —

I feel that bladed legs and square shoulders together, lets me do quicker in-and-out movements while still being able to lean my upper body in different angles efficiently. Also my side kicks have a faster windup.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds dangerous to me. If I want to jab with my right, I just switch leads. I don't stand at as big an angle as some do, but I'm not squared up either.

Squared up is fine. You just need to move in 3 dimensions.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

In what self defence situation are you throwing jabs and combo's? Are the criminals where you live all skilled fighters/martial artists?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In what self defence situation are you throwing jabs and combo's? Are the criminals where you live all skilled fighters/martial artists?
I think it's safe for us to assume he meant to post it in general martial arts, as he didn't mention self defense at all in his original post. Probably everyone but you made that assumption, since no one else made a comment about it and it's been almost 2 weeks. Or he's referring to the instances where fighting in some sort of stance is involved in defending oneself.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When someone attacks your wife, will you use "jab, cross combo" to knock him down ASAP in order to save your wife's life?

The "compress" jab can be used to set up the "release" cross. You use jab to make arms contact. You then pull your opponent's arm into you, send out your cross to cause a "head on collision". The jab can be a fake punch followed by a "pull".

Self-defense is not just to protect yourself. You have to protect your family members, friends, and strangers as well.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

What?

Jabs and combos still work against untrained fighters.

OP
KangTsai

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't have much interest in self defence. If it does happen, parkour and spinning back kicks will keep me healthy. More so parkour.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Because the lead straight punch is just a pump,
When I see and hear stuff like this, it makes me think that the person hasn't learned how to connect the power of their punches. I can deliver power in my punches with lead or rear hand.

I'm not much of a jabber.
This statement makes it clear why you aren't getting power out of that lead hand. Take some time to learn how to connect power into all of your punches and not just the big ones.

Latest Discussions