Most popular arts in your country ??

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the USA : it seems karate and judo is almost gone .
My home city has only 2 karate schools and over 50 TKD schools

I don’t see judo anywhere ??
Judo has high injury rate due to throws
I'm thinking it's just your area. There are 6 judo clubs within 20 miles of me and just off the top of my head 12 shotokan schools. 4 BJJ only schools, 9 with Muay Thai, 4 TKD, I have Wing Chun, Muay Thai, Kali, Submission Wrestling, BJJ, and MMA at my school.

Judo high injury rate. Not really, what are you comparing the injury rates to?

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm thinking it's just your area. There are 6 judo clubs within 20 miles of me and just off the top of my head 12 shotokan schools. 4 BJJ only schools, 9 with Muay Thai, 4 TKD, I have Wing Chun, Muay Thai, Kali, Submission Wrestling, BJJ, and MMA at my school.

Judo high injury rate. Not really, what are you comparing the injury rates to?

I am on the west coast !!
50 BJJ schools within 25 miles from me lol

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In the UK at present, bjj with a gracie barra gym opening like mcdonalds in the 80's, mma gyms gaining ground, judo seems to be having a resurgance for adults, and Krav maga is on the rise, but a worrying trend for children is their seems to be schools opening with names like Dragon arts, where kids can get a black belt in 6 weeks, but they can choose which art, so in 18 weeks they can get a junior BB in kung fu (does not state the style) TKD, and Karate (again no style named).
Tma are doing ok, but are declining, tkd still strong, hkd hanging on, as are jjj, the likes of Kali/escrima, arnis etc seemed to be only available in ever decreasing pockets.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah wow, it's probably the opposite here! We honestly have almost all the main arts, but the biggest is karate.

Also have taekwondo, tang soo do, BJJ, wing chun, boxing, kickboxing, MMA, daito ryu, aikido, BJJ/shoot fighting and probably more... but karate by far outdoes the others.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah wow, it's probably the opposite here! We honestly have almost all the main arts, but the biggest is karate.

Also have taekwondo, tang soo do, BJJ, wing chun, boxing, kickboxing, MMA, daito ryu, aikido, BJJ/shoot fighting and probably more... but karate by far outdoes the others.
Well you're from Australia. I heard Muai Thai is really big there due to its close proximity to Thailand.

D

Deleted member 39746

You should probbly look at England, Wales, Scotland and N.ireland for popular arts. more accurate results. and TKD is up there in a lot of countries. I think kung fu is pretty popular in england as well. im going on the schools i find more of. BJJ and MMA is there as well.

edit: as well as looking at specfic states in the U.S.

D

Deleted member 39746

Dragon arts, where kids can get a black belt in 6 weeks,

My god there are so many little dragon schools. So many! The only Karate around me is mainly tailored for children, by that i mean more childrens classes than adults.

The baine of the FMA's though. they dont seem to be that common,and several are trying to grow in popularity as i think one always tries to make a apperance at every major U.K martial arts show.

Edit: The BKF seems to be doing all right, there seems to be a fair amount of Kendo/Iado Schools, and several of them also do Jodo.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Martial arts schools in the UK whether they are any good or not can only teach martial arts in the children's classes, by law they cannot be childcare facilities as they are often are in other countries. Parents perceive martial arts to be good for their children so are keen to send them to classes, they are also a money makers for instructors. As with the adult classes people need to check on the club/school to see how they perform, the problem with that of course is no martial arts parents not knowing what they are looking for or at.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a lot of generalizations about the US, considering that each region might have different answers. For instance, there are plenty of karate schools near me, more-so than TKD.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
The statement is a pretty silly one tbh. In one part of the country one style can be more popular and in another part another style can be more popular

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The statement is a pretty silly one tbh. In one part of the country one style can be more popular and in another part another style can be more popular

Exactly, totally depends on what is available, if there's no TKD instructor in the area TKD isn't going to be 'popular'.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're right about TKD being the most popular art for kids in the USA but I would have to disagree that BJJ is the most popular for adults. Although it has grown tremendously in popularity ever since the Gracies made their fame in the USA there is still less of a demand for BJJ or for most grappling arts than there is for striking arts, although MMA has grown to be quite popular. I would still say TKD is perhaps the most popular art in the USA for both children and adults alike.
Agree. It is very to argue that TKD is not number 1 worldwide with 80-90 million practitioners . Using the general term 'Karate' it could be higher. All the others in aggregate do not total near this number.
Statista has a graph of MA in the US from 2006 to 2017. Honestly, I thought the number was higher by a factor of about 10.
Martial arts: number of participants U.S. 2017 | Statista

I would love to hear others thoughts on the graph.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wrestling is not geared for adults due to the high rate of injury
In jacket throwing art, I can hip throw you without your body touching the ground. I can hold you in my arms as holding a baby.

The wrestling jacket is used to protect your training partner. In training, when your opponent throw you, his hand will be behind your head to prevent your head from hitting on the ground. I don't think the striking art has this much "partner protection" in mind.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agree. It is very to argue that TKD is not number 1 worldwide with 80-90 million practitioners . Using the general term 'Karate' it could be higher. All the others in aggregate do not total near this number.
Statista has a graph of MA in the US from 2006 to 2017. Honestly, I thought the number was higher by a factor of about 10.
Martial arts: number of participants U.S. 2017 | Statista

I would love to hear others thoughts on the graph.
They don’t say where they get their statistics. I think it would be very difficult to count, and I would not at all be surprised if the number is way off.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well you're from Australia. I heard Muai Thai is really big there due to its close proximity to Thailand.
Ah yeah never really thought of that... there's a bit of that round here as well, unsure about other states!

Latest Discussions