Most popular arts in your country ??

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In the USA : it’s TKD for kids and BJJ for adults

I noticed in the UK that karate and judo are very popular . This I saw on ytube videos

BJJ is so over blown . It has no take downs , no strikes but yet you see it everywhere

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

I noticed in the UK that karate and judo are very popular . This I saw on ytube videos

BJJ is so over blown . It has no take downs , no strikes but yet you see it everywhere
You're right about TKD being the most popular art for kids in the USA but I would have to disagree that BJJ is the most popular for adults. Although it has grown tremendously in popularity ever since the Gracies made their fame in the USA there is still less of a demand for BJJ or for most grappling arts than there is for striking arts, although MMA has grown to be quite popular. I would still say TKD is perhaps the most popular art in the USA for both children and adults alike.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're right about TKD being the most popular art for kids in the USA but I would have to disagree that BJJ is the most popular for adults. Although it has grown tremendously in popularity ever since the Gracies made their fame in the USA there is still less of a demand for BJJ or for most grappling arts than there is for striking arts, although MMA has grown to be quite popular. I would still say TKD is perhaps the most popular art in the USA for both children and adults alike.

I think MMA is taking over for adults in the US. Some people train MMA, others will train other arts like wrestling, boxing, muay thai, or BJJ, but most of them their goal is to do MMA.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

BJJ has take-downs. No strikes because in grappling tournaments you can't strike.

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Wrestling is not geared for adults due to the high rate of injury

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think MMA is taking over for adults in the US. Some people train MMA, others will train other arts like wrestling, boxing, muay thai, or BJJ, but most of them their goal is to do MMA.

MMA does not cover the details of each art with that much depth

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think mma will take over
My school has mma beg and mma pros

I do the mma beg lol

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
How many classes did you attend?
How many schools have you gone to in order to know this is indicative of all BJJ instead of the one school you went to?

not many !!
It maybe just my school

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Except for Tai Chi, I'd say wrestling is the one least likely to injure you.

It would be cool if they mixed in foot sweeps

I never did a TD in my entire life until I hired a wrestling coach last Year

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I may be quitting my BJJ at my school and joining a second school just for BJJ

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

BJJ has takedowns and has some striking though not a strong aspect of it. Striking is not allowed in most all BJJ competitions so 'competition only schools' may well not have striking in their particular program but that doesn't mean striking isn't in BJJ.

I know of several BJJ schools where beginner white belts do no rolling for the first 6 months. They learn and do movement drills, positioning drills, grip, gi control & release drills, and drill some techniques only for the first 6 months and then they are allowed to roll or spar. Using your analysis if you were a student in those schools BJJ doesn't do any rolling/sparring.

Let's take Judo for another example; most Judo schools train only for competitions so they don't train Atemi waza (striking). So does that mean there is no striking in Judo? Absolutely not...there is striking in Judo it's just those schools don't train it.

Wrestling is not geared for adults due to the high rate of injury
While I'm not up to date on rates of injury...we do submission / catch wrestling and I have adults into their 60's training.

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
BJJ has takedowns and has some striking though not a strong aspect of it. Striking is not allowed in most all BJJ competitions so 'competition only schools' may well not have striking in their particular program but that doesn't mean striking isn't in BJJ.

I know of several BJJ schools where beginner white belts do no rolling for the first 6 months. They learn and do movement drills, positioning drills, grip, gi control & release drills, and drill some techniques only for the first 6 months and then they are allowed to roll or spar. Using your analysis if you were a student in those schools BJJ doesn't do any rolling/sparring.

Let's take Judo for another example; most Judo schools train only for competitions so they don't train Atemi waza (striking). So does that mean there is no striking in Judo? Absolutely not...there is striking in Judo it's just those schools don't train it.

While I'm not up to date on rates of injury...we do submission / catch wrestling and I have adults into their 60's training.

that is amazing In your 60s
I want to be that guy

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In the USA : it seems karate and judo is almost gone .
My home city has only 2 karate schools and over 25 TKD schools

I don’t see judo anywhere ??
Judo has high injury rate due to throws

Last edited:
OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Krav Maga craze is over and you’re seeing less schools !!!

BJJ continues to explode and explode - the older BJJ was all about real self defense and take downs . Today’s BJJ is more highly sport geared and super complex

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Boxing is still in the rough areas of towns

Muay Thai has exploded but the quality of instructors is very bad compared to Asia and Europe

OP
Q

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In my home city

BJJ - around 50 schools !!!! Insane
TKD - 25 schools

MT- 12 schools

Karate - only 2 !!!
Judo - only 2 !!!!

OP