Most popular arts in your country ??

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's a lot of generalizations about the US,

Quite a big generalisation about the UK too tbf.

noticed in the UK that karate and judo are very popular . This I saw on ytube videos

YouTube is not a reliable source of information.

It'll also be heavily influenced by what is available locally...

Near me, it'd be (from most popular to least, based on number of schools/locations):

TKD (if counting both ITF and kkw)
Boxing
BJJ
Karate (of some sort)
Kickboxing
Aikido
Taichi (of some sort)
MMA

There's a few different things too, like I'm pretty sure there's at least one Kung Fu type school - no idea on anything more specific about it.

Not aware of a judo school.
There's a KM place that is borderline 'local'.

At least, that's what I've found over the past year or so. I'm sure there's more, but I don't exactly search and they aren't heavily publicised (and none to my knowledge have their own dedicated facility, it's exclusively clubs/schools run from rented part time spaces).

That's not indicative of the UK as a whole by any means - just what's within about a 25-30 mile radius of me. That's about an hour of driving each way and that would be seriously pushing it for actually attending. Anything over a 20 minute commute to class and nobody would ever turn up.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite a big generalisation about the UK too tbf.

I live in the North Yorkshire Dales, there's not much of anything let alone martial arts, well, apart from sheep, lots of sheep.

Across the border in Lancashire the art of Ecky Thump is very popular though, we don't do it in Yorkshire though, absolutely never as we are still at war with Lancashire.
Ecky-Thump

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I live in the North Yorkshire Dales, there's not much of anything let alone martial arts, well, apart from sheep, lots of sheep.

Across the border in Lancashire the art of Ecky Thump is very popular though, we don't do it in Yorkshire though, absolutely never as we are still at war with Lancashire.
Ecky-Thump

That Yorkshire / Lancashire (un)civil war has been going on for all of recorded history and there's no signs of it ever abating.

Countless lives have been mildly inconvenienced by it.

It's also caused untold mental anguish to vast numbers of those sheep - at least it has according to the tales of woe recounted to me by the sheep in the field behind my garden, many of whom are distantly related to northern sheep. One of them lost a third cousin thrice removed when she jumped the wrong gap in the hedge and landed over the border - the poor thing was utterly shunned by the entire flock and even the shepherd never looked at her the same again.

People should really think of the sheep.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That Yorkshire / Lancashire (un)civil war has been going on for all of recorded history and there's no signs of it ever abating.

Countless lives have been mildly inconvenienced by it.

It's also caused untold mental anguish to vast numbers of those sheep - at least it has according to the tales of woe recounted to me by the sheep in the field behind my garden, many of whom are distantly related to northern sheep. One of them lost a third cousin thrice removed when she jumped the wrong gap in the hedge and landed over the border - the poor thing was utterly shunned by the entire flock and even the shepherd never looked at her the same again.

People should really think of the sheep.

Shaun can be very unforgiving I'm afraid, he should get himself a nice bit of Wensleydale like Wallace and Gromit, do him reet well that would. I live in next Dale over, Swaledale, nice cheese there too.

Latest Discussions