More vs Less Training Time

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i had to google ramen

turns out its noodles

that's not to bad, here a recipe to spice up up a little, the local noodle shop would charge you ten quid for that

Chow Mein Ramen Noodles

infact im thinking of buying some now

Ramen is cheap. I was paying like 18 cents per meal. That's how much I could afford. My budget for food was less than $5 a day.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ramen is cheap. I was paying like 18 cents per meal. That's how much I could afford. My budget for food was less than $5 a day.
my current budget for food is one dollar a day, (do you mean 5 dollars a week ?) which is why those tasty noodles look very attractive

nb that doesn't include my ice cream habit, that's another dollar, though in all honestly i could replace that with milk and sugar

i should add i spend more on fresh chicken breast for the dog

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now, now, fellas. High horses are a speciality of mine.

One the east coast, a high horse is...

View attachment 22628

I'm not sure if that's a supermodel atop or not. I mean, she doesn't look like she's from Krypton, but who knows?

However, here on Maui high horses are a different thing altogether. And with good reason...

View attachment 22629
Funny, very, very funny!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
On the training time question, it will vary for a lot of reasons, available time being a big one.

I was fortunate. From the very first time I walked into a dojo I knew it was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Classes were Mon, Tues, Wed, Thur nights and Saturday morning. I never missed one class for well over five years. By the eighties I was training forty hours a week. It was the most fun I’ve ever had.

And I don’t believe in diminishing returns. I just wish there were forty hours in a day.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
well you can assume that, to make your analogy work, but its not at all in line with reality, were breaks do indeed matter
For big projects yes you would need breaks, but with smaller projects I've been able to concentrate on stuff for well over an hour. I've done painting jobs before as well as other jobs and projects where I've worked without breaks for over an hour, or over three hours. Especially if you really get into it, you can go for hours without breaks, at least in my experience.

The point is, there is a difference between getting something done sooner and taking more or less time to do something. If painting a room takes you three hours and you don't take any more breaks that what's necessary to maintain good quality of your painting job you will finish sooner than if you take more and/or longer breaks than what is necessary, but either way when you total up the time spent painting it comes to three hours total, but by taking less breaks you finish sooner than if you took more.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now, now, fellas. High horses are a speciality of mine.

One the east coast, a high horse is...

View attachment 22628

I'm not sure if that's a supermodel atop or not. I mean, she doesn't look like she's from Krypton, but who knows?

However, here on Maui high horses are a different thing altogether. And with good reason...

View attachment 22629
The point of your post? Its a bit random.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The point of your post? Its a bit random.

The point was a play on words. Humor if you will. “Supermodels” were mentioned four or five times by three different posters.

The “Krypton” reference was a play on the “super” in supermodels.

The “high horse” was a play on the term “high horse”.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a bachelor. My house was decorated before I moved into it.
But you might not be pleased with the way its decorated in which case you might do some redecorating of your own.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's fine if you have that one room you need to paint. But Martial Arts is a perpetual journey.
Sure it is, but you do nonetheless reach different levels in the martial arts. You develop various levels of skill as you train and as you learn more and more in the world of martial arts. Getting a room painted you could say would be getting from point A to point B. In the martial arts you also get from point A to point B, of course then there's point C, point D, and so on.

And also, just because you painted a room doesn't mean there isn't more rooms to paint or more decorating to do. As jojo pointed out, decorating your house can be a perpetual journey.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I recently painted a room. It took me four hours and I did take one break but that was only because I needed to get more paint.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
At what point do you get old enough to have experienced the real world? What's the criteria for that?

Based on conversations with him and others who also use that as a go-to argument, it's when I'm old enough that I agree with them.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Real world...

Life is so much more more interesting within the fantasy inside my head.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I found this video which shows how to paint a room faster using an 18 inch roller while doing just as good a job. By using an 18 inch roller and by using the techniques in the video you save time. So that being said, is there anything wrong with using an 18 inch roller and the techniques in the video? Does it make a person impatient?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I found this video which shows how to paint a room faster using an 18 inch roller while doing just as good a job. By using an 18 inch roller and by using the techniques in the video you save time. So that being said, is there anything wrong with using an 18 inch roller and the techniques in the video? Does it make a person impatient?

Totally impatient.

You should use a 3" roller with a very short handle and only paint a maximum of 6" per week.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like that big roller. I didn’t know that they make them. I’ve always used the standard rollers.

Rolling paint on a wall, even with a standard roller, goes pretty quickly. What takes time is the set-up. Protecting the floors and getting the trim taped, and windows, and adjoining walls and ceilings if they are a different color. That is what takes all the time.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rolling paint on a wall, even with a standard roller, goes pretty quickly. What takes time is the set-up. Protecting the floors and getting the trim taped, and windows, and adjoining walls and ceilings if they are a different color. That is what takes all the time.

This is the bit a lot of people don't realise.

Slapping paint on is quick and easy and if the prep is done right it'll look good unless you really make a hash of it.

Depending on what you're starting with, prep can take hours to days.

When I repainted my son's bedroom it took over a week - but that did include removing the old paint (semi gloss so almost impossible to get anything to stick over it), replastering a wall and replacing some of the skirting boards...

D

Deleted member 39746

Wait, no one mentioned rollers for painting. Am i the only one to use my hands? and the occasional brush?