More vs Less Training Time

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
So anyway I want to point out that getting something done sooner is different then taking less time. This doesn't just apply to martial arts training but to just about every aspect in life.

Lets say you want to paint a bedroom in your house. I am going to mention two situations in how you paint it.

Situation A, you start at 12:00 noon and you paint for the next three hours. It takes three hours to paint the room so at 3:00 PM you're finished.

Situation B, you start at 12:00 noon and after two hours painting, at 2:00 PM, you take an hour long break. Then at 3:00 PM you resume painting and you paint for another hour and finish at 4:00 PM.

Now in both situations it took the same amount of time to paint the room, three hours. However in Situation A you finish sooner than in Situation B even though it took you the same amount of time in both cases.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So anyway I want to point out that getting something done sooner is different then taking less time. This doesn't just apply to martial arts training but to just about every aspect in life.

Lets say you want to paint a bedroom in your house. I am going to mention two situations in how you paint it.

Situation A, you start at 12:00 noon and you paint for the next three hours. It takes three hours to paint the room so at 3:00 PM you're finished.

Situation B, you start at 12:00 noon and after two hours painting, at 2:00 PM, you take an hour long break. Then at 3:00 PM you resume painting and you paint for another hour and finish at 4:00 PM.

Now in both situations it took the same amount of time to paint the room, three hours. However in Situation A you finish sooner than in Situation B even though it took you the same amount of time in both cases.
its a bit more complicated than that, an hours break could very well increase the quality of the finished bedroom, if your getting tired and your co ordination is waning or your rushing to meet an arbitrary deadline of three o'clock you've set for no particular reason, very few people can maintain full concentration for much over an hour

its even more complicated if your considering a persons ability to learn, which is not at all like painting a bed room, time spent and progress made are only slightly correlated

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

That's fine if you have that one room you need to paint. But Martial Arts is a perpetual journey.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm a bachelor. My house was decorated before I moved into it.
bachelors need to try harder as they a) cant blame the kids and b) should be turning up with young ladies at short notice who get very suspicious if you refuse to turn the lights on. you need to keep your house in a perpetual state of readiness for a visit from a supermodel.

i speak from experience as i have a real problem of demarcation of house and garage and they tend to go of a night of love making when they see you have grubby walls and a set of crankcases in the sink

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
bachelors need to try harder as they a) cant blame the kids and b) should be turning up with young ladies at short notice who get very suspicious if you refuse to turn the lights on. you need to keep your house in a perpetual state of readiness for a visit from a supermodel

Both of those would interfere with my gaming time. Both the martial arts, or having a supermodel over.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Both of those would interfere with my gaming time. Both the martial arts, or having a supermodel over.
that's the danger with the virtual world that you don't actually get any real world but it does mean more super models for me

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
that's the danger with the virtual world that you don't actually get any real world but it does mean more super models for me

I've experienced the real world and the virtual world. The virtual world is preferable.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've experienced the real world and the virtual world. The virtual world is preferable.
no its not, its less scary and you can put people who disagree with you on ignore and largely pretend your someones else

but real super models in fact just plain old models knock the hell out of virtual ones

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
but real super models in fact just plain old models knock the hell out of virtual ones

A chubby dwarf with a limp and a wooden eye who actually exists is better than a virtual supermodel...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A chubby dwarf with a limp and a wooden eye who actually exists is better than a virtual supermodel...
i bow to your experience on the matter,and would certainly draw the line at a wooden eye

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're not old enough to have experienced the real world...

I've had friends die. I've had times in my life where I'm eating Ramen for 2 meals a day because I can't afford to eat anything else. I've worked myself ragged over the last 5 years working 14 hour days.

I don't know who the hell you think you are, but my god your horse is higher than the clouds.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've had friends die. I've had times in my life where I'm eating Ramen for 2 meals a day because I can't afford to eat anything else. I've worked myself ragged over the last 5 years working 14 hour days.

I don't know who the hell you think you are, but my god your horse is higher than the clouds.

i had to google ramen

turns out its noodles

that's not to bad, here a recipe to spice up up a little, the local noodle shop would charge you ten quid for that

Chow Mein Ramen Noodles

infact im thinking of buying some now

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
its a bit more complicated than that, an hours break could very well increase the quality of the finished bedroom, if your getting tired and your co ordination is waning or your rushing to meet an arbitrary deadline of three o'clock you've set for no particular reason, very few people can maintain full concentration for much over an hour

its even more complicated if your considering a persons ability to learn, which is not at all like painting a bed room, time spent and progress made are only slightly correlated
Yes it does get complicated when you take into account factors such as your own personal fatigue level and whether or not you need a break, but for sake of simplicity in my example its assumed that you don't need to take a break and that whether or not you do take a break does not affect in any way the quality of your paint job.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes it does get complicated when you take into account factors such as your own personal fatigue level and whether or not you need a break, but for sake of simplicity in my example its assumed that you don't need to take a break and that whether or not you do take a break does not affect in any way the quality of your paint job.
well you can assume that, to make your analogy work, but its not at all in line with reality, were breaks do indeed matter

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Now, now, fellas. High horses are a speciality of mine.

One the east coast, a high horse is...

HighHorse.jpg

I'm not sure if that's a supermodel atop or not. I mean, she doesn't look like she's from Krypton, but who knows?

However, here on Maui high horses are a different thing altogether. And with good reason...

HighHorseMaui.jpeg

Latest Discussions