Reaction score
Who says girls can’t fight? I've been torn up just like this:

More like how I do it (Us big boys have our own way :)):

An instructor demonstrating (Long clip):

Last edited by a moderator:

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok now you've peaked my interest. First a question which really has no bearing on the rest of my post. Was'nt there a guy named Scott(Wong?)something? Who was an editor for BlackBelt,or Inside Kung-Fu. Who was a practioner of Kung-Fu San Soo? I remember vividly a close up shot of his knuckles. Wow were they ever an example of "karate" hands. Now back to my real questions. Are there any forms/kata in this system? If so, what are they, and what are their foundational purpose? Thanks for all answers.

1stJohn1:9

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok now you've peaked my interest. First a question which really has no bearing on the rest of my post. Was'nt there a guy named Scott(Wong?)something? Who was an editor for BlackBelt,or Inside Kung-Fu. Who was a practioner of Kung-Fu San Soo? I remember vividly a close up shot of his knuckles. Wow were they ever an example of "karate" hands. Now back to my real questions. Are there any forms/kata in this system? If so, what are they, and what are their foundational purpose? Thanks for all answers.

Don't know the first gentleman. Remember this is Kung Fu, tho, not karate, even if it's hard core kung fu :D. One of my favorite quotes from Jimmy: Don't use power, use leverage. You can see in the clips that the fighters do this over and over, toppling the other from the top, bottom, or with whole body as a 'fist' to just overpower the opponent for a takedown by taking his balance, or his center.

On forms: yes, many forms. All have 26 movements and are characterized by one foot (usually) never coming off the ground--idea is to fight multiple directions in small space inflicting most damage possible. Some forms created by each studio owner (which I understand Jimmy encouraged when they opened their own school). My Master has 10 weaponless and 10 weapon. Hard to get info on these unless you study with them, tho.

Another way to learn KFSS forms is to go straight to the source. Master Barbara Wallace, under (American) 1st Gen. Master Ron Gatewood, has an illustrated book of 25 of Jimmy H Woo's original forms (think it's under $20). Gives step-by-step instructions. Just learning one form every month, or every other month could make one a pretty decent KFSS stylist, especially if done in tandem with a friend. Link is:

http://www.sansoojournal.com/

Thanks for the interest. Hopes this helps. Feel free to ask further if you have more questions.

BTW, books on principles and application are easier to get. Can go to above website, or also search amazon.

~kidswarrior

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back. Do I understand you correctly? The instructors put together their own forms? Is this on top of the original 26 of Mr.Woo's,or in leiu of his? Thank you again...

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back. Do I understand you correctly? The instructors put together their own forms? Is this on top of the original 26 of Mr.Woo's,or in leiu of his? Thank you again...

Well, every studio is different in my experience, since Jimmy named no successor outside his wife (I believe--not certain about this). But certainly there is no recognized hierarchy, just a lot of 1st and 2nd gen masters who have their own memories and opinions of what Jimmy said/did/would approve.

So, the master with whom I studied said Jimmy told him to start making up his own forms at about 1st Black. He did, it's what I learned. Since then, have come across Jimmy's 25, and want to eventually learn all of those as well. Hope this helps. It's a great art, even in it's different manifestations.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, every studio is different in my experience, since Jimmy named no successor outside his wife (I believe--not certain about this). But certainly there is no recognized hierarchy, just a lot of 1st and 2nd gen masters who have their own memories and opinions of what Jimmy said/did/would approve.

So, the master with whom I studied said Jimmy told him to start making up his own forms at about 1st Black. He did, it's what I learned. Since then, have come across Jimmy's 25, and want to eventually learn all of those as well. Hope this helps. It's a great art, even in it's different manifestations.
My experience is similar.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most excellent. Thanks for sharing! :asian:

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Awesome clips! The style looks about as brutal as the SPM I train. :D

L Canyon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Great to see San Soo getting some attention!

I've have been studying with Master Paul Borisoff for 3 years.

It's a great system that I get much pleasure from. Very logical footwork, great combinations of moves - Master Paul stress creativity rather than rote memorization.

http://www.sansooreseda.com/index.html

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice clips!
icon14.gif

OP
kidswarrior

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hadn't seen this before. Thanks, Prof. Bishop. Side note: never realized Jimmy was born in Hawaii.

Latest Discussions