mma is a made up martial art.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is making up something on the fly. Adapting is a key component in fighting, in life.....hell, even in relationships.
To me, he who is not capable to adapt - is screwed

cartwheels?

i am pretty sure sakuraba makes stuff up on the fly

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hadn't seen a superman punch before mma.

I have, I've trained it too in karate. I told you what it was called, Tobikomizuki. That fact you haven't see it before doesn't mean it was 'made up' by an MMA fighter. I haven't seen all the moves in Capoeira but I don't believe that when Jean Silva does them in the cage he makes them up.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have, I've trained it too in karate. I told you what it was called, Tobikomizuki. That fact you haven't see it before doesn't mean it was 'made up' by an MMA fighter. I haven't seen all the moves in Capoeira but I don't believe that when Jean Silva does them in the cage he makes them up.

i have done capoeira. I even have an embarrassing brazilin nickname.

anyway

this?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
cartwheels?

i am pretty sure sakuraba makes stuff up on the fly

As for Superman punches, heck, I got hit by them in the seventies. Until I started sweeping their legs (thighs) out while they were in that up position...they didn't throw them at me after that.

As for cartwheels - I have hit everybody with a cartwheel kick. Boxers, nationally ranked karate guys, kickboxers, cops. Cartwheel kicks should be thrown in close, within left hook distance. Oh, the things I could teach you about cartwheels. The more of a rough and tumble fighter a guy is, the easier he is to dime with a cartwheel. And I know what everybody reading this is thinking, "you couldn't hit me with that foolish thing, I'd stick it up your kiester"
Nah, you'ld eat it like everyone else who thought that.

I gotta get a movie camera at the gym. You gotta' see the proper distance it's thrown from.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have done capoeira. I even have an embarrassing brazilin nickname.

anyway

this?

No that's not it despite what the person doing it says it is. Did you not read the words underneath that it was for children! The stance is wrong, the punch is wrong in fact I wouldn't even grade someone doing that.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As for Superman punches, heck, I got hit by them in the seventies. Until I started sweeping their legs (thighs) out while they were in that up position...they didn't throw them at me after that.

As for cartwheels - I have hit everybody with a cartwheel kick. Boxers, nationally ranked karate guys, kickboxers, cops. Cartwheel kicks should be thrown in close, within left hook distance. Oh, the things I could teach you about cartwheels. The more of a rough and tumble fighter a guy is, the easier he is to dime with a cartwheel. And I know what everybody reading this is thinking, "you couldn't hit me with that foolish thing, I'd stick it up your kiester"
Nah, you'ld eat it like everyone else who thought that.

I gotta get a movie camera at the gym. You gotta' see the proper distance it's thrown from.

yeah but did you make that kick up on the fly?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i googled it you can see it in muay Thai and some of its off shoots apparently.

So you are now saying it is not a made up technique? :( what's with this 'on the fly' bit mean. To do things on the fly means to be on the wrong side of the law, where does that fit in?

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you are now saying it is not a made up technique? :( what's with this 'on the fly' bit mean. To do things on the fly means to be on the wrong side of the law, where does that fit in?

yeah it probably isn't made up. That is the fun of stuff i can be wrong some times.

still not sure about your karate one though.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
yeah but did you make that kick up on the fly?

No. I saw it in a demo (a pretty foolish demo, actually) We started playing with it at the dojo when we were hanging after class. We were pretty much making fools of ourselves and having a good old time. One of the guys rushed the other, intending to pick him up while he was in the upside down position - but he got caught by both legs in the face. It was ugly, broken nose, black eye. We started thinking, "hey, wait a minute"....it took a while, maybe a year or so. What we concluded was - you don't aim to hit with your feet, you aim to hit with your legs. Anywhere from your upper calf to your lower thigh. You'll be sideways while you hit - so the legs should be separated a bit. Then we had to figure how to enter with the damn thing. Our jits training came into play - if you can shoot quickly, you're going to be all set, except instead of using your shoot speed forward, it has to go straight down, like you were going to knock your head into the floor - right between your own feet.

And you have to be close range. And you have to know how to punch. Not just look like you can punch, actually know how to punch. (it helps if you have a good, quick right cross or overhand right) You should throw it once you've established your right to his face. The initial movement is a right hand in close (orthodox stance) which immediately goes to the floor.

Once we had it, or thought we had it, we had to test it outside the dojo. So we did it in competition. Worked like a charm - except you got disqualified sometimes. For either "excessive contact" or "throwing a blind technique" (hey, you know how refs are) Then we took it into kickboxing competition - where we got yelled at again, sometimes issued warnings - but the damn thing always landed.

You also have to be comfortable on the ground....obviously, I hope.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Wado we do it with the front hand but I agree a reverse punch would qualify but but it's not a made up punch!

DB your video says it's been disabled by the owner.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In Wado we do it with the front hand but I agree a reverse punch would qualify but but it's not a made up punch!

DB your video says it's been disabled by the owner.

fair enough. Same movement different guy.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knocked a guy out of the air who was scoring with them in a point tournament around 1988. (Silly judges still gave him the point 'cause his powerless hand flip leap got in before my locked solid punch dropped him to the floor... Tag games are so fun.)

Superman punches are just a leaping punch. They way I've generally seen them done isn't the best; you're wide open if someone sees it coming and knows how to stop it. Doesn't mean they never work, doesn't mean there's no place... just that most that I've seen are essentially "cowabungu-I'ma-comin'" with little strategy to them. Seems like they've dropped off the radar over the last few years, though I'm not certain on that.

(And I make the same criticism over a lot of MMA and kickboxers kicks... They don't set the things up, they just fling 'em and hope they land. Don't get me started on the guy who landed three front kicks to an opponent's face... and lost because the opponent wasn't stopped.)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fair enough. Same movement different guy.

Then it's not the one we do. It starts in short left stance and goes on exactly how I showed in the picture. There's no other stance used and it is most definitely ( and defiantly to use your spelling) a 'superman' punch. It's one of my favourites because I'm not tall and it gives me considerable extra 'reach'. Just to upset Steve, this is how the army boxer's nose got broken.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Actually we would call the front lunge punch Kizame Tsuki and the reverse punch Gyaku Tsuki. Add the jump and in the videos you have Tobi Kizame Tsuki or Tobi Gyaku Tsuki. Nothing new there.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Tobi' is jumping so no, that is not tobikomizuki despite what it is labelled.

As we are off topic anyway......this technique is used sometimes to counter the argument that there is ' no first strike in karate' in Wado circles lol. It starts with a short left stance, left foot slightly in front of right and hands down though not like those in video, more naturally. The argument goes that because the hands are down it means it's an aggressive move more than the usual defensive ones. It may be worthy of a thread on it's own, I'm not sure but it's a little titbit of karate :D

Latest Discussions