mma is a made up martial art.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is it that the feint is integral, in which case it is still a feint followed by reverse punch, or is it a hop to make distance followed by a reverse strike. The action shown is exactly how you cover distance hopping.

Here is a young Superman in training for MMA.

Or if you want an exaggerated version.

In either case the knee lifts first and the leg is forced back to give the forward momentum.

both.

it is a feint and a device to create forward momentum.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it that the feint is integral, in which case it is still a feint followed by reverse punch, or is it a hop to make distance followed by a reverse strike.

As drop bear says, it's both. The leg action has a double purpose.

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
Going back to the original purpose of the thread, my understanding was that MMA competition as we recognise it today evolved from the Brazilian vale tudo bouts, which began mainly to settle rivalries between BJJ and luta livre practitioners

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Going back to the original purpose of the thread, my understanding was that MMA competition as we recognise it today evolved from the Brazilian vale tudo bouts, which began mainly to settle rivalries between BJJ and luta livre practitioners

Not just luta livre practitioners - karateka, boxers, street fighters, other BJJ practitioners, anybody who was up for the challenge.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There have been MMA type fights and competitions around for years, in the 1900s they were common in Europe, Japan and other parts of Asia. No holds barred fighting was the norm before boxing had rules made which restricted what could be done. In the 1980's there was an MMA league in the USA, 'Tough Guy Contests'. Vale Tudo didn't come to the US until 1993. The USSR now Russia has Sombo where fights are the same as MMA, a couple of friends of mine competed in them in the early 1990s. Quite scary stuff.
Lee Hasdell, who is a legend, promoted the first MMA fight night in the UK in 97.

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is it that the feint is integral, in which case it is still a feint followed by reverse punch, or is it a hop to make distance followed by a reverse strike. The action shown is exactly how you cover distance hopping.

Here is a young Superman in training for MMA.

Or if you want an exaggerated version.

In either case the knee lifts first and the leg is forced back to give the forward momentum.
The strike doesn't follow the hop/feint though, they're performed simultaneously. The upper body action may be the same as a reverse punch but without the lower body motion it is not a superman punch. This is why, in my opinion, they can't be accurately classified as the same technique

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The strike doesn't follow the hop/feint though, they're performed simultaneously. The upper body action may be the same as a reverse punch but without the lower body motion it is not a superman punch. This is why, in my opinion, they can't be accurately classified as the same technique
I'd suggest you have another look. The person punching is coming from out of striking range and making distance. The kick and strike cannot possibly be at the same time.

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
The strike and the hopping motion are performed simultaneously. You're suggesting that the person hops into range then performs a reverse punch. The reality is that the punch happens while they are still in motion

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The strike and the hopping motion are performed simultaneously. You're suggesting that the person hops into range then performs a reverse punch. The reality is that the punch happens while they are still in motion
Good grief, where did I say that? Of course it it is while he is in motion. :facepalm: It is no different to running in and hitting or lunging and hitting. I don't actually think it is a feint at all. If you look at Tez's video it shows the hop and describes the jump, something I was trying to find earlier. No mention of kick or feint.
Yet another tutorial.
If you watch this there is no inclination to kick. The knee barely rises.
After all this is why we were calling it a jumping kick.

Last edited:

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is it that the feint is integral, in which case it is still a feint followed by reverse punch, or is it a hop to make distance followed by a reverse strike.
As you can see, that is in fact exactly what you said

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to leave this debate as I don't feel we're getting anywhere. If anyone wishes to believe that a superman punch and a reverse punch are the same thing then fine. We will have to agree to disagree

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not to be pedantic sorry but K-man didn't say it as a fact he asked a question, he did leave off the question mark though lol.

"Is it that the feint is integral, in which case it is still a feint followed by reverse punch, or is it a hop to make distance followed by a reverse strike."

At least it's written, when Aussies speak everything sounds like a question with their rising inflexion :D ( going into hiding now)

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No, it is exactly what you misunderstood. It is the combination of two actions. If you look at a high jumper jumping. His technique is the lay out over the bar. If he doesn't jump he could perhaps clear a metre or so, so he springs off one leg to get added height. But the spring and the layout are combined.
This video shows three different ways of high jumping. The technique is in how you go over the bar. All involve a spring. All include the spring in the technique to make it effective.

It is the same with the 'superman' punch. Without the spring you have a reverse punch. With the spring you still have a reverse punch but the spring gives you extra hight and momentum.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not to be pedantic sorry but K-man didn't say it as a fact he asked a question, he did leave off the question mark though lol.

"Is it that the feint is integral, in which case it is still a feint followed by reverse punch, or is it a hop to make distance followed by a reverse strike."

At least it's written, when Aussies speak everything sounds like a question with their rising inflexion :D ( going into hiding now)
Just watch it young lady! I know where you live.

?????????? Here's a batch of them to use to fix up my posts when I forget. Sheesh!!!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just watch it young lady! I know where you live.

?????????? Here's a batch of them to use to fix up my posts when I forget. Sheesh!!!
Hey if it's any consolation an Aussie has just this minute won the UK The Apprentice starting a business with Lord Sugar.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey if it's any consolation an Aussie has just this minute won the UK The Apprentice starting a business with Lord Sugar.
And who in the hell is 'Lord Sugar'?
image.jpg

?????

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good grief, he's Alan Michael Sugar founder of Amstrad and multi millionaire, he was Knighted then made a Lord.
Oh before guys think I've gone totally off topic I will say Lord Sugar is the most down to earth straight talker going, something that's worth thinking about whatever the topic and whatever the business. :D

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the 1980's there was an MMA league in the USA, 'Tough Guy Contests'.

FYI, the Tough Man Contest was never an MMA event. It's basically an amateur boxing competition marketed for untrained fighters.

No, it is exactly what you misunderstood. It is the combination of two actions. If you look at a high jumper jumping. His technique is the lay out over the bar. If he doesn't jump he could perhaps clear a metre or so, so he springs off one leg to get added height. But the spring and the layout are combined.
This video shows three different ways of high jumping. The technique is in how you go over the bar. All involve a spring. All include the spring in the technique to make it effective.

It is the same with the 'superman' punch. Without the spring you have a reverse punch. With the spring you still have a reverse punch but the spring gives you extra hight and momentum.

Meh, you can be a splitter or a lumper as far as terminology goes. Makes no difference to me so long as you can communicate your point. You can say "he faked a rear leg kick, then used the momentum from the leg action to help power a leaping right cross/reverse punch" or you can say "he threw a Superman punch." One way is more concise, but whatever floats your boat.