MMA Fighter Taps Out Instead of Beating Opponent

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-c...instead-of-beating-on-opponent-205232432.html

Amateur MMA fighter Mike Pantangco lost in extraordinary fashion recently. Pantangco appeared to be teeing off on Jeremy Rasner during their Prison City Fight League bout when he kneeled down and tapped out, signaling his submission and forcing the referee to step in and hand the win to his opponent Rasner.
According to statements given to Axs TV, Pantangco began to feel sympathy for his opponent and so he opted out of the fight.
"I just feel that there's no point in fighting him because he didn't train against me and I didn't train for him and I just feel like we're amateur fighters. We don't get money. We don't get paid," said Pantangco in a heavy accent.
"And I know that the only thing [that'd happen] is him to go to the hospital or get hurt. I just feel terrible so I'm just going to give him the win."
Watch highlights of the fight below and let us know what you think in the comments section.
Do you agree with Pantangco's decision to give up rather than attempt to finish his opponent or do you think it was bizarre behavior?

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well done, he was way out classed.

If it wasn't amateur I'd surmise they wouldn't be lined up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Interesting. Not sure what I think about this.

Would be interested to hear from Jeremy Rasner for his thoughts.

Rasner was obviously outclassed and losing, but he didnt appear to be defenseless. He still was on guard, standing, and defending.

Only takes one good punch/kick to win, even if it is lucky.....

On the other side, Pantangco, kudoes for realizing this is only an amatuer fight and their is no reason to send people to the hospital. Still odd timing to tapp out....If he was about to ground/pound, yet pulled up then, might have made more sense to me.....

Interesting to say the least.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not a fan of that sort of thing. And I don't think he was that outclassed. Watch the whole fight.

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok, After watching the entire fight.....this makes absolutely no sense.....

He may have been winning on the scorecard, but by no mean completely dominating.

Rasner was still attacking/defending.....He took some good shots, but didnt appear to be hurt/rocked/dazed.

Agree with "drop bear", I dont like this.....

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, After watching the entire fight.....this makes absolutely no sense.....

He may have been winning on the scorecard, but by no mean completely dominating.

Rasner was still attacking/defending.....He took some good shots, but didnt appear to be hurt/rocked/dazed.

Agree with "drop bear", I dont like this.....

Yeah, I'm with you on this. I watched the shorter version before. Now that I saw this...I have to agree with you and drop bear.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not an authority on competition fighting by any means but, the referee is supposed to be the one to stop the fight if one fighter is getting overwhelmed. The fighter who tapped could be viewed as showing disrespect for both his opponent and the referee by stopping the fight himself. They're both there to fight and win afer all and it is not as though one fighter was completely destroying the other one.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of that at all. I find it disrespectful to the sport, the fans and disrespectful to his opponent. If he was so sure he could have his way with the guy he should have carried him. (not in pros, but in amateur ranks)

As for anybody getting hurt I've seen harder shots at my in-law's holiday get togethers.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not an authority on competition fighting by any means but, the referee is supposed to be the one to stop the fight if one fighter is getting overwhelmed. The fighter who tapped could be viewed as showing disrespect for both his opponent and the referee by stopping the fight himself. They're both there to fight and win afer all and it is not as though one fighter was completely destroying the other one.

This was kind of my thought, too... If the guy was in that much trouble, why wasn't the ref stopping it? That's part of his job.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The "winning" fighter in black+blue showed a lot of heart, but was outclassed IMHO. He got one takedown that was quickly reversed, all of his other attempts failed, and he was getting hit by more frequent and harder hitting strikes. However, I agree that...

1) This win on his record will forever be a stain in his mind
2) It is the ref's job, not the other fighter's job, to stop the fight for safety reasons
3) I would personally not want a loss on my record just to be "nice", especially considering the other guy knew what he signed up for
4) If "win" meant "hospital", then a lot more fighters would be in the hospital. If you are not in so much control that you cannot submit/KO without sending the other guy to the hospital, then he still has a fighting chance

I personally think this was bad taste.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
don't like the situation at all :( the ref's there to stop any serious injuries and they do a great job nearly everytime in making sure that the guy on the floor doesn't get hurt too badly.

agree with others in that tapping out in this way is bad not just for the sport, but his opponent who i'm sure will be as confused as anyone but also for the ref cos he's taking the decision away from the ref - forget the score sheet the ref's in charge in the ring............

not understanding this at all --- if he didn't want to fight cos of something in his head telling him he made a mistake then he should've said so before getting in the ring for the bout --- i find it disgusting tbh............and i've been there and scrapped it out till the ref said stop.........you just don't tap out unless it's absolutely necessary.

donna

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What's the reason for a fight to begin with, esp. an amateur bout? Isn't it to challenge yourself and see what you can do, and how far you can go? Don't the fighters look forward to the matches?

I don't understand being outclassed. If Michael Jordan outclassed so many NBA players, then why did they all love playing with him -- either on his team or as his opponent?

At best, Pantangco took an opportunity away from Rasner. At worst, it looks like there are darker implications, such as being groomed for throwing a match.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on the first post and video that came with it I'd still stand by what I saw for that part.

I can't see video where I am now, but is he holding back? Not only did he appear outclassed based on the first vid, he looked like he was only half hitting him.. keen to see the full clip.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
like carol said i think he might have been paid to throw the match certainly looks that way. if you watch the whole thing then he is holding back he's not following through with his shots and his kicks are properly weak. it's like he's slapping him around a bit before he decides to tap out............

very strange "fight" if you ask me.

getting in the cage for fight is summat that you've trained hard for - put in a lot fo time and effort refining your skill sets and you try your best to make sure that your skill set is better than the other guys.

i've never come accross a fighter that didn't look forward to a good scrap and most get butterflies and nervous as hell on fight day cos they know it's their turn.

throwing fights in this manner should be banned and a rule should be brought in saying that the only person that stop a fight is the ref - at least matches wouldn't be able to be fixed.............

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
throwing fights in this manner should be banned and a rule should be brought in saying that the only person that stop a fight is the ref - at least matches wouldn't be able to be fixed.............

Sadly, there will always be fixed fights. Have been since the beginning of time or at least since people began betting on events.

Definately an issue that continues today even with refs. One just has to give their opponent an openning to execute a submission and no one would be the wiser....perhaps not even ones opponent.

I dont like that it happens....but it does.....

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dude was hit with that back hand started stumbling any shaking his head he was toast. What the point of K.O. the guy on a fight thats for nothing. The guy was winning the whole fight so he had nothing else to prove.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dude was hit with that back hand started stumbling any shaking his head he was toast. What the point of K.O. the guy on a fight thats for nothing. The guy was winning the whole fight so he had nothing else to prove.​

He didn't prove that he can win the fight. He only proved that he was winning up until that point. Maybe he was getting tired and wanted to quit on a high note? I think the purpose of competition is to do your best to win. If your goal is to prove yourself to yourself, then you should be taking a non-competitive art. To take a competitive art, compete in a match, and then throw it is just low.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He didn't prove that he can win the fight.

he won it in my eyes and took the high road so double plus

He only proved that he was winning up until that point. Maybe he was getting tired and wanted to quit on a high note?
OK if you say so he didnt look tired when he caught the guy and had his head wobbling.
I think the purpose of competition is to do your best to win.
And if you dont win then what?
If your goal is to prove yourself to yourself, then you should be taking a non-competitive art.
Why do you get to decide how someone proves themselves to themselves.
To take a competitive art, compete in a match, and then throw it is just low.

He had the guy wobbling and didnt want to hurt him. Good for him. Serves no puropse in an amature fight to pounce on a guy and bash his head in.

Latest Discussions