MMA Fighter Taps Out Instead of Beating Opponent

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is the whole issue here.....

From my perspective, I didnt see where the fight had gotten to the point where his opponent was not able to defend himself.

Understand he took a couple large strikes, but he shook his head and went right back into his on-guard stance.

All fights contain heavy strikes....it is the nature of the combat....

I see and mostly agree with your points, I just did not see where this fight was at the critical stage.

Perspectives...Everyone has a different one...

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is the whole issue here.....

From my perspective, I didnt see where the fight had gotten to the point where his opponent was not able to defend himself.

Understand he took a couple large strikes, but he shook his head and went right back into his on-guard stance.

All fights contain heavy strikes....it is the nature of the combat....

I see and mostly agree with your points, I just did not see where this fight was at the critical stage.

Perspectives...Everyone has a different one...

Why let an amature fight get to a critical stage? No money was involved the guy had him all fight and he knew it so he was satisfied with his preformance. Big deal.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't say it was about winning. Competition is about doing your best to win. He didn't give the guy a fair chance. He just beat him up for a bit and then quit while he was ahead. Would he have won if he continued? Probably, but it's not a guarantee.

It's like the old joke about the young man who was trespassing on an elderly man's property. The elderly man challenges him to a fight, saying "I get to hit you 3 times, then you hit me 3 times, and soon until one of us gives up. The young man agrees, and the elderly man takes his three hits: a throat punch, a massive kick to the groin, and then a hard kick to the kidneys for good measure. The young man stands up, ready to take his turn, and the elderly man says "wait, I give up. You win."

That's what this fight looked like to me. He gave a nice beating, but then called it early. There's a (albeit slim) chance that he would have actually lost, but if he would have just kept going he would have probably won by decision. I don't agree that the other fighter would have ended up in the hospital in order for him to win, and I wouldn't want someone to just tap like that to end the fight on his terms. The only way you should end the fight as a fighter is via submission or knockout.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
every person that gets into the cage knows what can / will and what is liable to happen - that's what training is all about --- if you can't take a good punch then you have no right to give one. the opponent in this case was "very much all there" and was in a guard stance waiting for hte next strike when the muppet tapped out.

personally he should be taken outside and shot for disrespecting the rules of the game --- like i said before if he didn't want to go through with it then why was he in the cage ?????????

muppet shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a cage in future

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't say it was about winning. Competition is about doing your best to win. He didn't give the guy a fair chance. He just beat him up for a bit and then quit while he was ahead. Would he have won if he continued? Probably, but it's not a guarantee.

It's like the old joke about the young man who was trespassing on an elderly man's property. The elderly man challenges him to a fight, saying "I get to hit you 3 times, then you hit me 3 times, and soon until one of us gives up. The young man agrees, and the elderly man takes his three hits: a throat punch, a massive kick to the groin, and then a hard kick to the kidneys for good measure. The young man stands up, ready to take his turn, and the elderly man says "wait, I give up. You win."

That's what this fight looked like to me. He gave a nice beating, but then called it early. There's a (albeit slim) chance that he would have actually lost, but if he would have just kept going he would have probably won by decision. I don't agree that the other fighter would have ended up in the hospital in order for him to win, and I wouldn't want someone to just tap like that to end the fight on his terms. The only way you should end the fight as a fighter is via submission or knockout.
Actually the fact he didnt go for the finish shows he didnt just beat him up and quit. He fought until he saw in his mind it was over so he stopped. Apparenty his "record" is less important to him then it is to you.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
every person that gets into the cage knows what can / will and what is liable to happen - that's what training is all about --- if you can't take a good punch then you have no right to give one. the opponent in this case was "very much all there" and was in a guard stance waiting for hte next strike when the muppet tapped out.
Were you watching the same fight I was he was stumbling and tripping over hs own feet.
personally he should be taken outside and shot for disrespecting the rules of the game --- like i said before if he didn't want to go through with it then why was he in the cage ?????????
Yeah ok its just a GAME get over yourself
muppet shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a cage in future
lol ok so tough you are lol

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This was no different then a pitcher in base ball throwing a few innings of preseason ball to prepare for the regular season he doesnt need to pitch a full nine innings to get to work out what he needs to work on. Dude had it won he was satisfided with what he did and was finished. He doesnt need your approval so.......... Nobody was hurt he looser got a win on his record and everyone went home ok. At the end of the day its just a game.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pitchers don't pitch a full 9 innings, they get pulled out once they're tired. So I don't know why a baseball player would throw innings. Even then, the better analogy would be like a high school player throwing the ball 20 MPH slower than he could so he didn't risk beaning anyone with a fastball.

Actually the fact he didnt go for the finish shows he didnt just beat him up and quit. He fought until he saw in his mind it was over so he stopped. Apparenty his "record" is less important to him then it is to you.

This was far more insulting than actually making the submission. If you are so dominant that you are confident you won, then you should be able to win. The way he tapped out suggests he quit while he was ahead to avoid risking taking a blow down the road. So he got the loss but "won", instead of actually seeing the fight through to its conclusion. I've seen several fights where one fighter is losing the whole fight and then suddenly BAM the other fighter makes a mistake and gets submitted. The winner might not have had good technique, but made up for it with conditioning and just toughness. I don't think it was likely in this case, but it is possible that the other fighter in this fight could have gotten an opportunity and taken it.

His record isn't the important part to me. It's more the psychological impact for the other guy. I would much rather lose a fight legitimately than win a fight by being given the win, especially at the amateur level. You learn from your losses. If it was professional, then yeah I'd rather get wins any way I could. If I were the other fighter, I wouldn't be happy with losing like that. If I were the organization, I wouldn't want him back.

Tapping out like that was an arrogant jab at the other guy (I'm so much better than you that this isn't fun enough to finish) and at the ref (I'm the one who controls when the fight stops; not you, even though I couldn't stop the fight by finishing it.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pitchers don't pitch a full 9 innings, they get pulled out once they're tired. So I don't know why a baseball player would throw innings. Even then, the better analogy would be like a high school player throwing the ball 20 MPH slower than he could so he didn't risk beaning anyone with a fastball.
HUH Chris tilliman from my belovid Bmore Orioles pitched a 9 inning shutout last week. It happens often. Not as much anymore but 20+ years ago it was quite common.
This was far more insulting than actually making the submission. If you are so dominant that you are confident you won, then you should be able to win. The way he tapped out suggests he quit while he was ahead to avoid risking taking a blow down the road. So he got the loss but "won", instead of actually seeing the fight through to its conclusion.
AND? who cares its a game. Maybe this was a tune up fight because the guy is about to go pro so he needed to work on a few things got the kinks out and was done. He had no need or desire to "win" since that seems to be all you care about since you have mentioned it in 3 posts so far. As far as being insulted oh well if the guy was that worried about it dont get schooled next time.

I've seen several fights where one fighter is losing the whole fight and then suddenly BAM the other fighter makes a mistake and gets submitted. The winner might not have had good technique, but made up for it with conditioning and just toughness. I don't think it was likely in this case, but it is possible that the other fighter in this fight could have gotten an opportunity and taken it.
OR its possible he could get a severe concusson and his fighting days are over forever. OR its possible the guy that was winning (dont know or care what his name is) could slip and tear an ACL and is fighting days or over. OR its possible a lighting storm could come in and kill them both. ANYTHING is possible.........Who are you to tell the guy how he should fight?

His record isn't the important part to me. It's more the psychological impact for the other guy. I would much rather lose a fight legitimately than win a fight by being given the win, especially at the amateur level.
really? you have mentioned it like 5 times now. He did loose the fight legitimately it just wont show in the records he lost.

You learn from your losses.
and hes got plenty to learn from watching the tape of the fight.

I
it was professional, then yeah I'd rather get wins any way I could. If I were the other fighter, I wouldn't be happy with losing like that.
Why should he care if the other fighter is "happy"?
If I were the organization, I wouldn't want him back.
OH NO ban him from the prison city amature fight circuit how terrible
Tapping out like that was an arrogant jab at the other guy (I'm so much better than you that this isn't fun enough to finish) and at the ref (I'm the one who controls when the fight stops; not you, even though I couldn't stop the fight by finishing it.
Yet you are not him his explination was he didnt want to hurt him. SOOOOOOO Ill listen to the guys explination that was really there actually fighting.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
HUH Chris tilliman from my belovid Bmore Orioles pitched a 9 inning shutout last week. It happens often. Not as much anymore but 20+ years ago it was quite common.

What I meant is that if a pitcher is feeling sore, he doesn't just stop throwing as good. He taps out and lets another pitcher take over. So saying he throws a game to save his shoulder...he could also just get relieved for the same health benefits.

---

Regarding this fight, is sportsmanship dead? Because according to your post, it's okay to be arrogant towards the other fighter and the ref as long as you get what you need out of the fight.
really? you have mentioned it like 5 times now. He did loose the fight legitimately it just wont show in the records he lost.

He didn't lose it legitimately, he won it illegitimately. Had he been submitted, TKO'd, or won by decision, he would have lost it legit.
Yet you are not him his explination was he didnt want to hurt him. SOOOOOOO Ill listen to the guys explination that was really there actually fighting.

They both signed up for a fight, understanding the risks. If he couldn't finish the fight with a win without hurting the guy, then he does not have such superior skill to claim such arrogance. If you want to control when the fight is over, you should do it by submitting or KO/TKO, not by tapping out. If there's a safety concern, that's the ref's call. If the ref hasn't called it, then you are disrespecting him by doing his job for him.
OH NO ban him from the prison city amature fight circuit how terrible

If it's not a big deal, then why are you dripping with disdain at the mention of it?

OR its possible he could get a severe concusson and his fighting days are over forever. OR its possible the guy that was winning (dont know or care what his name is) could slip and tear an ACL and is fighting days or over. OR its possible a lighting storm could come in and kill them both. ANYTHING is possible.........Who are you to tell the guy how he should fight?

The bolded part is absolutely ridiculous to argue, so I'm not going to give it any more consideration than this sentence.

I think you're missing the important parts of what I'm saying to argue with the little bitty details with such sarcasm. The point is he is doing a competitive art, and by not completing the fight he disrespected the competitive nature of the art, his opponent, the ref, and the audience. I can't think of one person that he did not disrespect by doing so. IMHO, respect is paramount to martial arts, and sportsmanship to sports. Thus, respect and sportsmanship should both be of utmost importance in MMA, and this decision to just throw the fight was like a big middle finger to everyone else there.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What I meant is that if a pitcher is feeling sore, he doesn't just stop throwing as good. He taps out and lets another pitcher take over. So saying he throws a game to save his shoulder...he could also just get relieved for the same health benefits.
except if you follow along I was talking about spring training(pre-season/amature) pitchers got 2 or 3 innings and come out they dont pitch full games.
---

Regarding this fight, is sportsmanship dead? Because according to your post, it's okay to be arrogant towards the other fighter and the ref as long as you get what you need out of the fight.
Thats YOUR opinion. My opinion is he saw the guy was done and didnt want to hurt him.
no different then when someone gets rocked the other fighter jumps on cocks his fist then stops and looks at the ref. According to you thats bad sportsmanship he needs to pound the guys face in until th ref stops it. PLEASE this was a minor league amature fight which counts for nothing. The only one taht seems to care about records is you because you brought it up AGAIN
He didn't lose it legitimately, he won it illegitimately. Had he been submitted, TKO'd, or won by decision, he would have lost it legit.
Again about wins and losses. That guy KNOWS in his heart he lost who cares what his amature record is (Apparetly you)
They both signed up for a fight, understanding the risks. If he couldn't finish the fight with a win without hurting the guy, then he does not have such superior skill to claim such arrogance. If you want to control when the fight is over, you should do it by submitting or KO/TKO, not by tapping out. If there's a safety concern, that's the ref's call. If the ref hasn't called it, then you are disrespecting him by doing his job for him.
again thats YOUR opinon mines different He showed GREAT respect and sportsmanship by not bashing the guys face in he knew he won. He may have been going easy the whole fight after he easily schooled him in the first few scrambles. He may have decided this was not benefiting him and didnt want to slip or get caught with a dumb luck shot so he just ended it.
If it's not a big deal, then why are you dripping with disdain at the mention of it?
Because you guys sound like fools. BAN him, KILL HIM , hes a disgrace blah blah blah its a game people relax.

The bolded part is absolutely ridiculous to argue, so I'm not going to give it any more consideration than this sentence.
Your entire what if, what if, what if, arguement was ridiculous
I think you're missing the important parts of what I'm saying to argue with the little bitty details with such sarcasm. The point is he is doing a competitive art, and by not completing the fight he disrespected the competitive nature of the art, his opponent, the ref, and the audience. I can't think of one person that he did not disrespect by doing so. IMHO, respect is paramount to martial arts, and sportsmanship to sports. Thus, respect and sportsmanship should both be of utmost importance in MMA, and this decision to just throw the fight was like a big middle finger to everyone else there.
Yep and by not crushing this guy stopping while he was ahead and putting safety above his "record" he showed great respect and sportsmanship. Your so worried about a stupid amature record you would rather watch someone get hurt so its not "disrespectful" thats idiotic.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
except if you follow along I was talking about spring training(pre-season/amature) pitchers got 2 or 3 innings and come out they dont pitch full games.

Thats YOUR opinion. My opinion is he saw the guy was done and didnt want to hurt him.
no different then when someone gets rocked the other fighter jumps on cocks his fist then stops and looks at the ref. According to you thats bad sportsmanship he needs to pound the guys face in until th ref stops it. PLEASE this was a minor league amature fight which counts for nothing. The only one taht seems to care about records is you because you brought it up AGAIN

Again about wins and losses. That guy KNOWS in his heart he lost who cares what his amature record is (Apparetly you)

again thats YOUR opinon mines different He showed GREAT respect and sportsmanship by not bashing the guys face in he knew he won. He may have been going easy the whole fight after he easily schooled him in the first few scrambles. He may have decided this was not benefiting him and didnt want to slip or get caught with a dumb luck shot so he just ended it.

Because you guys sound like fools. BAN him, KILL HIM , hes a disgrace blah blah blah its a game people relax.

Your entire what if, what if, what if, arguement was ridiculous

Yep and by not crushing this guy stopping while he was ahead and putting safety above his "record" he showed great respect and sportsmanship. Your so worried about a stupid amature record you would rather watch someone get hurt so its not "disrespectful" thats idiotic.

People fight ammy because they enjoy the experience. They also normally train their guts out to be standing there in the first place and tapping in the first round because you are winning on points and then claiming some sort of technical victory is a bit crap.

The other guy was there for a full fight and he was robbed of that.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This was no different then a pitcher in base ball throwing a few innings of preseason ball to prepare for the regular season he doesnt need to pitch a full nine innings to get to work out what he needs to work on. Dude had it won he was satisfided with what he did and was finished. He doesnt need your approval so.......... Nobody was hurt he looser got a win on his record and everyone went home ok. At the end of the day its just a game.

He did not have it won he quit in the first round. The loser lost in that fight plain and simple.

The thing is quite often you have fighters pull out of fights at the last minute which is also a bit crap. But what often happens is they will standca guy in and do an exhibition.

These are quite often a miss match but it gives the guy who has trained and turned up and is willing to go the distance a chance to go out and play the sport he chooses to do.

And yet nobody goes to hospital. Seriously if you are that much more awsome than the other guy then you don't have to quit to win.

Brophy tent.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wCea6uPRSyQ

Which is the easiest to find example of people gettingvout there having a good time and punching each other in the face.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
People fight ammy because they enjoy the experience. They also normally train their guts out to be standing there in the first place and tapping in the first round because you are winning on points and then claiming some sort of technical victory is a bit crap.

The other guy was there for a full fight and he was robbed of that.
he got all the fight he could handle.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He did not have it won he quit in the first round. The loser lost in that fight plain and simple.

The thing is quite often you have fighters pull out of fights at the last minute which is also a bit crap. But what often happens is they will standca guy in and do an exhibition.

These are quite often a miss match but it gives the guy who has trained and turned up and is willing to go the distance a chance to go out and play the sport he chooses to do.

And yet nobody goes to hospital. Seriously if you are that much more awsome than the other guy then you don't have to quit to win.

Brophy tent.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wCea6uPRSyQ

Which is the easiest to find example of people gettingvout there having a good time and punching each other in the face.

so then why did he tap?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pantangco's post on facebook:

I am sorry for all you guys (who) think I did him wrong or disrespect him … But guys, we’re ammy fighters. We don’t get paid...and if I would keep going I would’ve hurt him more, and maybe get in serious injuries, and maybe that makes him stop doing what he loves to do...(or) maybe he becomes one of the best fighters alive. Who knows? Just think about it guys. … I don’t care if my ammy record has one loss. Big deal? I know what I did, and enough is enough.
Mike Pantangco's Kind Act Toward Jeremy Rasner Shows Compassion and Confusion | Bleacher Report

also from the article

In every way, Pantangco's actions were compassionate. Seeing the humanity in the situation clearly demonstrates that Pantangco values human life and well-being more than an amateur victory.
But what about a professional one?
Pantangco says in the video: "We don’t get paid, and I know that the only (way) I’m going to finish the fight is him to go in the hospital or get hurt."
This would lead you to believe that if this were a professional bout, perhaps taking place in the World Series of Fighting, Bellator or even the UFC, Pantangco would have felt more licensed to finish his demolition of Rasner.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If he was gonna resign he should have "thrown in the towel"...bowed and walked out. The whole post tap-out spectacle left a bad taste in my mouth.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually I don't think the Bleacher Report shows what Pantangco posted in full context, possibly because of his imperfect English. The full quote shows a different story.

If what Pantangco says is true, the guy he was supposed to fight backed out at the last minute. A gym friend stepped in to keep the match on, and Pantangco didn't want to hurt his friend.

Mike Pantangco Good afternoon everyone . my name is Mike Pantangco . an ammy fight witch me don't get paid..... The guybi fought is a replacement by a guys you back out last minute.. And Jeremy is our gym friend and he just step up to give me a fight... And I am sorry for all you guys think I did him wrong or disrespect him ... I know what I did and I am mad about it that I didn't give him a fight .. But guys were ammy fighters. We don't get paid.. And if I would keep going I would've hurt him more and maybe he get in serious injuries and maybe that make him stop doing what he loves to do ... And maybe he become one of the best fighter alive who knows? Just think about it guys ... I don't care if my ammy record have one lost ? Big deal? I know what i did . and enough is enough.