MMA Fighter Taps Out Instead of Beating Opponent

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That disrespectful brat. How dare he not want to hurt his friend we have rules here that's it BAN HIM for life. Better yet take him out and shoot him.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If the other guy couldn't handle the fight he should have tapped out or the ref should have stopped it. The fact that neither of them had said the other fighter had enough suggests that he hadn't had enough yet, and it's arrogant of the tapper to say he knew what was best for the other person.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually I don't think the Bleacher Report shows what Pantangco posted in full context, possibly because of his imperfect English. The full quote shows a different story.

If what Pantangco says is true, the guy he was supposed to fight backed out at the last minute. A gym friend stepped in to keep the match on, and Pantangco didn't want to hurt his friend.

Which is not unusual.

We have two gym friends who will be fighting tonight in an exhibition. And they will both do the best they can. They wont quit and they will be friends afterwood

We have had pro fighters step in at the last minute when another fighter has pulled out last minute and they don't quit. They just don't try to kill the guy.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That disrespectful brat. How dare he not want to hurt his friend we have rules here that's it BAN HIM for life. Better yet take him out and shoot him.

You get a really hard time of it training for a fight. And it is increadably dissapointing to have someone take that fight away from you at the last minute. Let alone in the first round. And then claim that he really won. But will give away the trophy because he is such a nice guy.

May as well pat you on the head and tell you your a good boy while you are at it.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got to watch the full bout. Still kind of think he did the right thing, controlled the fight, and his opponent was barely on his feet when he could have started his finishing moves. I'd rekon the ref would have stepped in if it went about 10-20 seconds more so maybe he tapped a little too soon to avoid controversy.

Here are some outclassed examples.

Last edited by a moderator:

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
how many of you have actually stepped up to the plate and got in a cage ?????

i speak from experience - i've been in a cage fight often enough and was scheduled to have another fight realsoon before i got injured. can honestly say even if the opponent was a stand in that he knew what was coming and he trained for it !!!!!

for some outsider to say that he was doing someone a favour is the same a throwing the fight --- he should be banned for life - if he had reservations about his opponent then he should've spoken up about them maybe even postponed the fight until the original fighter had recovered from whatever and then got it on

this is total disrespect - amateur or not.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Finally got to watch the full bout. Still kind of think he did the right thing, controlled the fight, and his opponent was barely on his feet when he could have started his finishing moves. I'd rekon the ref would have stepped in if it went about 10-20 seconds more so maybe he tapped a little too soon to avoid controversy.

Here are some outclassed examples.

Yeah but you can't tell in the first 20 seconds always. Fighters with big hearts do comebacks.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B9s57kHAD0A

First fight the boxing.

Last edited by a moderator:

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i speak from experience - i've been in a cage fight often enough and was scheduled to have another fight realsoon before i got injured. can honestly say even if the opponent was a stand in that he knew what was coming and he trained for it !!!!!

for some outsider to say that he was doing someone a favour is the same a throwing the fight --- he should be banned for life - if he had reservations about his opponent then he should've spoken up about them maybe even postponed the fight until the original fighter had recovered from whatever and then got it on

He knew the fighter, and I think that's what pressed his decision. I'm guessing he knew his capabilities. It's not a throw, it's a forfeit. Happens in a lot of sports, each with their own set of unsaid rules of sportsmanship and ethics.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Irrelevent
Irrelevent

Your opinion and I disagree.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a truth everyone here has missed-and I speak from more than 40 years in martial arts, a short-lived career as a Golden Gloves boxer, a survivor of Japanese bare knuckle, knockout tournaments, and kakitogi matches-"cage fighting" before it was cage fighting...without the cage. :lfao:

There are a variety of reactions to actually knocking someone out-some feel elation, others nothing at all-but I'd say the majority initial reaction I've observed in first-timers is one of digust, of near self loathing, whether in a contest or practice-I've seen it time and again-a guy knocks someone out, and it makes them feel bad, even if the guy is a complete stranger. To do so regularly requires most people to override a natural aversion to doing harm to their fellow men-something most of us are capable of,under the right circumstances. The definition of "right circumstances," though, are entirely subjective, as the military, sport, law enforcement, self-defense and the incidence of violent crime should make clear. It's entirely possible that the young man simply found out that he hasn't the stomach for it-no killer instinct. Doesn't make him a bad person, or a bad fighter, a good sport or a disgrace-it just makes it as he said; he didn't see the point of continuing, so why hurt the guy for what he now saw as "no reason?"

Last edited:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's entirely possible that the young man simply found out that he hasn't the stomach for it-no killer instinct. Doesn't make him a bad person, or a bad fighter, a good sport or a disgrace-it just makes it as he said; he didn't see the point of continuing, so why hurt the guy for what he now saw as "no reason?"
According to his facebook page he has fought again since then and won his first belt the other day so I think he just didn't feel like hurting his friend

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
1554456_848164601866114_4746084888625649334_n.jpg

Looks like hes got no problem knocking people out

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Forced to tap is different to tapping because you think you have won.

This exactly. It's like the difference losing because the other player was better or got lucky, vs. losing because you held back.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
According to his facebook page he has fought again since then and won his first belt the other day so I think he just didn't feel like hurting his friend

Then why take the fight.

What did he think would happen in a fight?

Good to see he will go the distance with someone he thinks deserves his time.

Latest Discussions