Mitose

OP
R

RCastillo

All this matters, NOT! I'm here, and I'm heartily endoresed by the Goldendragon. Got problems with that? call Scottsdale,AZ :uhyeah:

It's really very simple;I teach, you teach, we keep moving to perfect our art, and prepare to take on the trash in the street that attempts to hurt us, and our families. :asian:

Respects to all!

kelly keltner

Black Belt
Reaction score
jazkiljok said:
And for the gullible who think Mitose was the "victim" of the hapless killer Terry Lee..

Mitose was convicted by a jury. obviously he didn't plead guilty, did he?- so his weak little ploy of suggesting that he was "ultimately" responsible as the teacher IS JUST IRRELEVANT. The jury didn't send him away because of this dumb attempt to gain sympathy from the them back-firing.

witness testimony from his victims, his criminal track record and his own admissions to pass criminality led him to the slammer. Our justice system isn't fail-proof but it works fairly well the majority of the time and worked just fine in this case.

the "assassin" Terry Lee was a clumsy killer that didn't show much martial art skill at that time- his good behavior in prison and clean living since doing his time, point to a naive and easily manipulated man led astray by a dangerous con artist.

as to Mitose's peaceful ways and 1500 year old system- here's an excerpt from an interview from some one who knew him personally. Adriano Emperado.

CN: Mitose was a controversial figure who spent the last years of his life in prison. Can you tell us something about the Mitose you knew in Hawaii?

EMPERADO: When Mitose taught Kenpo Jujitsu he always emphasized his religious philosophy. He dressed as a minister, carried rosary beads, and chanted like a Buddhist. He always stressed that you were never to use kenpo, even for self defense. His workout was that of traditional Japanese karate. We did makiwara training, some jujitsu takedowns and throws, and worked on developing the one punch kill. We also had one kata; the Naihanchi kata.

CN: What did Mitose call his art and who did he learn it from?

EMPERADO: Mitose called his art Kenpo Jujitsu. He told us that he had learned it from Choki Motobu. I never heard the term "Kosho Ryu Kenpo" until he went to prison and some other instructors visited him and got master certificates in Kosho Ryu. I also never heard from him the story about the Kosho family temple.

CN: So Mitose was a highly peaceful and spiritual man?

EMPERADO: Not really. You see in 1953 Professor Mitose paid a unannounced visit to my Palama Settlement school. He brought Dr. Arthur Keave and Masaichi Oshiro with him. He asked if they could demonstrate some techniques to my students. So I said ok, and Oshiro proceeded to demonstrate the Naihanchi kata. I then consented to demonstrate some of our Kajukenbo techniques. When all was done Mitose told me that me that I should call my system Kenpo Jujitsu since he considered it to be rooted in his system. I told him that I couldn't because there were 5 creators who contributed their arts to the system. He then became enraged and threatened to come back the next day with a samurai sword and kill me. Me and some of my students waited for his return, but he never showed. The next thing I heard he had gone to California. Years later I heard that he was in prison for having a student kill an old man.

CN: So the Kosho Ryu we see today in magazines is not the Kenpo Jujitsu you remember from Hawaii?

EMPERADO: Like I said I had never heard of Kosho Ryu Kenpo. Mitose called it Kenpo Jujitsu and some of the Japanese said that the traditional name should be Shorinji Kempo. The instructors who got the master certificates while visiting Mitose in prison were all from different systems, and I'm sure that he didn't teach them kenpo in prison. In fact Thomas Barro Mitose was a Kajukenbo black belt under my student, Joe Halbuna.

full interview at:
http://www.interactivesmack.com/kajukenbo/sijointerview.html
Although you have a point there the interview you use with Emparado is suspect. Emparado makes statements about Paul Yamaguchi being Gogen Yamaguchi's grandson which I don't believe is true. He also states that Yamaguchi was a blackbelt under Chow which is not true. There are a couple of other statements which are suspect. So I don't put a lot of faith in it. Not necessarilly Emparado's intent was to mislead but that maybe his memory did not serve him well.

kell

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kelly keltner said:
Although you have a point there the interview you use with Emparado is suspect. Emparado makes statements about Paul Yamaguchi being Gogen Yamaguchi's grandson which I don't believe is true. He also states that Yamaguchi was a blackbelt under Chow which is not true. There are a couple of other statements which are suspect. So I don't put a lot of faith in it. Not necessarilly Emparado's intent was to mislead but that maybe his memory did not serve him well.

kell
If you check your kenpo history, you'll see that there was a lot of cross training going on in Hawaii in the 50s-60s-70s. Both Paul Yamaguichi and Bobby Lowe received black belts from Mitose, and later from Chow. I'm out of town now, but when I return next week, I can provide specifics on the dates of the promotions.
And yes Yamaguichi is related to Gogen Yamaguichi. He was referred to as a grand son, but the relationship may be more like a grand nephew.
Sijo Emperado started training with Chow in 1946, and also met Mitose at the same time period. He received instructor training from Mitose in 1950.
Since your questioning his statements, when was it that you knew Mitose and Chow?

kelly keltner

Black Belt
Reaction score
lighten up big fella. I may have come on a little strong with those statements. I think I asked the question about Yamaguchi's relation to Gogen Yamaguchi when I first met Paul I thought I was told no, but I could be wrong. As for the cross training statement I concede You are possibly and /or problably right. I would love to hear any history you could or would share with me. As for Mitose and Chow. The answer is no I never met them. I have however met people like Thomas Young, Paul Yamaguchi and his wife Helen ,and B.F. Lau. They all held Mr. Juchnik in high esteem. Two of the three of them did lengthy videotaped interwiews with him regarding their experiences with Mitose. As did Rick Alemany, Eugene Sedeno and George Santana.
Once again I know Mr. Juchnik would love to share with you. By the way when did you first meet Mr. Mitose and Mr.Chow? I figure you're at the big Kajukenbo event in Vegas. How's that going. Yes I do question Mr. Emparado's statements. Just like I question Mr. Juchniks statements. I live for who, what, when, where and why. Somehow I think you understand the fascination I have for different points of view on the same subject.

Kell

Jeff Boler

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Getting into the discussion here a little late, but I would like to note a couple of things. I have seen references to articles written by William Durbin, on the history of Mitose here in America.

Anything written by Mr. Durbin should be considered suspect, and nothing more than an attempt to bolster his own claims. Mr. Durbin claims to be the only Kempo grandmaster that has been "recognized" by the three people claiming to have inherited the Mitose art.

Also, Mr Durbin himself has "adopted" Mr. Hassan (aka Terry Lee) into his system as a Shihan. My understanding is that Mr. Lee did the same for Mr. Durbin. "Scratch my back, and I will scratch yours".

Durbin's accounting of the crime in question is little more than fantasy. According to him, the Yakuza had targeted Mitose, and then set him up. It's his opinion that Mitose, as well as Lee, are both victims, and have been treated unjustly by the justice system.

It's a load of bunk. Mitose was as guilty as the student in this case. Unfortunately, there are no laws in the US stating that convicted murderers can't teach martial arts. Therefore, Mr. Hassan continues to teach in the Philadelphia.

It's is also interesting to note that Mr. Hassan claims to teach Kosho Ryu Kempo and Koga Ha Kosho Ryu Ninjutsu, based on Koga Ryu, and inherited by Mitose.. But that's a completely different story.

kelly keltner

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't Know if Mr. Juchnik ever recognized him. I think he said he talked to him once. I'll check and get back to ya.

kelly

Jeff Boler

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, you have to look at what Durbin considers "recognition." My understanding is that they all recognized Durbin as the Soke of his own art. Now I don't know exactly what that means, other than he has some sort of document with Juchnik's signature.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just to clarify William Durbin has probably done more to confuse, muddle and confuse the kenpo lineage for his own self serving ends then perhaps anyone else! Oddly enough most major branchs of the Kenpo arts can be found in durbin's style (according to him), not bad for a guy located away from hotbeds of kenpo and a art that started outside the kenpo community.

However, if you guys get to serious on your Mitose vs. Chow/ or hanshi Juchnik debate pick up Mastering Kernpo to durbin-the history is so ludicris(sp?) it will make other debates pale in comparision!

Jeff Boler

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Oddly enough most major branchs of the Kenpo arts can be found in durbin's style (according to him), not bad for a guy located away from hotbeds of kenpo and a art that started outside the kenpo community.

Correct. Durbin's one and only Kenpo (or Kempo) instructor is Rod Sacharnoski. Do I need to go there?

However, if you guys get to serious on your Mitose vs. Chow/ or hanshi Juchnik debate pick up Mastering Kernpo to durbin-the history is so ludicris(sp?) it will make other debates pale in comparision!

Durbin received this certificates of "recognition" from Juchnik, Thomas Mitose, and Hassan (aka Terry Lee), and then added their complete lineages to his own. Fact of the matter is that he's never studied under any of them, nor has his instructor Rod Sacharnoski. He has intentionally warped the history to bolster his rediculous claims.

My only question is why would you want to even claim to have these lineages is the first place? Mitose was a criminal, Juchnick only received verbal instruction, Thomas Mitose actually learned Kajukenbo, and Hassan was with Mitose less than one year. How much could any of these individuals actually know?

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can't speak for the rest, but all said and done hanshi Juchnik is a great martial artist.

Also, durbin is grasping for some respect, recognition so i have no doubt he would use anybody to bolster his fanatasies. The kenpo community has a tendancy to be a bit fractured (in my opinion all Kenpo is cool, we are like crabs pulling each other down). Durbin (and others like him) have a chance to get recognised in a effort to "unify".

Jeff Boler

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oh don't get me wrong. I have nothing against Juchnik. I'm sure he's a fine martial artist. I just don't see how he could have learned much from Mitose "verbally." I'm sure he has something to offer his students.

My point is with Mitose's "questionable" history, why would someone like Durbin seek everyone out that claims lineage to the guy, and try to establish himself directly under the Mitose lineage?

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shady or not, Mitose has a name to put a handle on. It is the handle not the character of the person. If durbin could stand next to Jeff speakman nad get a picture taken I'd suspect that there would be some claim of recognition (and noy on speakman's part)

kelly keltner

Black Belt
Reaction score
Durbin has a need to justify himself. My question is: Is he creating growth in the arts by doing any of this. are there more students studying? Does he have any student's?
I have seen many a master or head of organization who's orginization consists of two people. Yet they promote themselves as being a great leader. They even go around asking for recognition of their rank and style, of two people. I'll tell you a personal story. I knew a guy who left the first school I attended a green belt. Through the grapevine I heard he is now promoting himself as a 4th black in our system and trying to get hired as a self-defense instructor for one of the local law enforcement agencies. If he was creating some kind of growth and education in the arts I might be able to justify this, But this seems to be nothing but self-serving. Growth is the key to the survival of the arts. Struggle is the law of growth. If Durbin is trying to justify himself for selfish ends and not for growth then I have no use for him.

kelly

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In law enforcement amons't fraud investigators, there is a saying; "follow the money trail".
Basically, when people are putting forward conflicting stories of the same event, you have to look at each persons agenda. In other words, what do they have to gain from pushing their version? Are they selling videos, books, empire building, collecting association dues, obtaining promotions, going on the seminar curcuit, etc? Or do they just have a strong interest in learning the martial arts and it's history?

Jeff Boler

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Durbin, at one time, had schools in multiple cities. Due to the more esototeric training, and his association with Juko Kai, his student base is regulated to mainly his hombu dojo. I understand he has around 30 students remaining.

Most of his senior students (myself included) left years ago, when Durbin started changing. He has always claimed to be a Baptist Minister, but his stories about his art became more bizarre. He claims to have received "Tenshin Sho". (Divine Illumination) In short, Jesus Christ told him to create his martial art. I guess you could look at it as a "ministry."

Unfortunately, God didn't inform him that misleading his students by falsifying ranks, histories, lineages, etc., is wrong. He has continually changed history to bolster his claims, and the claims of his instructor, Rod Sacharnoski.

As for improving the martial arts as a whole, he has no interest in that. According to him, he's teaching the ultimate martial arts system, founded by God. Yet it has no set Kata, no competition (not even sparring), nothing resembling an "ancient martial art" or as he calls it, a Bugei.

Kiyojute Ryu is more of a cult then a martial art. He has, however, been an instructor for the Kentucky State Police in the past. If he has re-assumed that title, I would be greatly surprised. It is Durbin who made the statement that 95% of all fights never get to the ground. Ask any LEO, and he will tell you that this is nothing more than a load of bull.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
While it is true durbin is bringing a few people int the arts is he also doing a ton of danmage to the sudents and the martial arts as a whole?

kelly keltner

Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe you are correct Mr. bishop. Follow the money trail is a good thought process. All of the people and I do mean all of the people who come out with stories about Mitose have something to gain by putting forth their 2 cents worth. There would be long list of martial arts personalities. Most if not all of them use/used martial arts to make a living and they all contribute or contributed to the growth of the arts in America.

kelly

Latest Discussions