Melbourne Wing chun Mini history

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The story has a similar feel to what happened in my style where a student isn't made a Sifu but teaches as one.

I wonder if much of the agrees in the wing Chun community comes from this. In Jow Ga the Sifu to be is given special training that other students don't get. I can only assume this is common in Chinese martial arts.

This may also be one of the reasons why some people claim that certain lineages are missing components that another lineage has.
I made a typo. Should be "I wonder if much of the disagreements in the Wing Chun community comes from this"

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don't think so, no. Not sure what "made a sifu" would mean in the context of VT. People can complete the system or not. Many people that are/were teaching it didn't have a complete understanding of the system, but there isn't anything secret that is reserved for "sifus-to-be", and there are no ranks.
How are Wing Chun Sifu's created? Are they approved by the current Sifu or is it something they can do on their own after completing the system or can someone become a recognized Sifu even if they didn't complete the system. Are their organizations that help list "approved sifu's" Does one get a certificate showing that they are now a Sifu?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How are Wing Chun Sifu's created? Are they approved by the current Sifu or is it something they can do on their own after completing the system or can someone become a recognized Sifu even if they didn't complete the system. Are their organizations that help list "approved sifu's" Does one get a certificate showing that they are now a Sifu?

When i did it for a month or so i think one of them was teaching and then decided to move out under his own banner. He sort of was the guy under williem cheung. That caused sad faces all round.

The school itself had a really weird culture.

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Like most things in life, in VT you can have as a teacher anyone who is willing to teach you and who you think beneficial to learn from. It isn't karate, there aren't coloured belts and silly titles, it is just a way of fighting

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Like most things in life, in VT you can have as a teacher anyone who is willing to teach you and who you think beneficial to learn from. It isn't karate, there aren't coloured belts and silly titles, it is just a way of fighting

Wing chun does though. Sashes and titles.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not heard of a system called wing chun with sashes and titles.
The System Wing Chun doesn't have sashes and titles. However, there are numerous organizations and instructors who now use sashes as a means to denote who has been instructed the different aspects of their curriculum and show skills sets for that material. Doesn't mean anything but to those organizations or instructors.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The System Wing Chun doesn't have sashes and titles. However, there are numerous organizations and instructors who now use sashes as a means to denote who has been instructed the different aspects of their curriculum and show skills sets for that material. Doesn't mean anything but to those organizations or instructors.
It's a marketing thing as most people like the color belt system.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Would that be across all MA?
Nope. Just the ones who give into the business success of meeting the needs of of students who like belts. I'm willing to bet that there are more students out there who care more about the color of their belt than about their ability to actually fight using the skills that they train in. I don't see this as a bad thing since people take martial arts for many reasons and out of the many, the ability to actually fight is not the most popular reason.

By the way, even business management certifications use a color belt system. For example, SixSigma.

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys this is a mini history of wing chun, in melbourne Australia. In 1974 william cheeung opened his first school in Russell street chinatown then shortly after that 1975 Mr Barry Pang opened his school at goju headquters in lt bourke street then his own club in bourke st in 1976 at that time, william challenged Barry pang to a bei mo which pang laughed it off mr pangs school became very well known after that. Around 1981 a student of Barry pangs the only one who was being paid , to teach for him, left for hong kong to train under wong shun leung when he returened he opened his own school and bad mouthed his former teacher this got recived very badly and he was challeneged to a fair fight and lost badly . This happenened in box hill around 1982.This person only went to hong kong dueing school holidays and never lived there in fact , untill the late 90s you could only get three months visa and had to come back to oz to get renewed you could get extenidions but they were for bussness people and the like . ps the only person whom has completed , his training under wsl was Mr Barry Lee and thats a fact hope people, find this helpful. . ps all other schools save one recently opened came from williams or barrys. there have been others but they keep to themselfs

History doesn't get more mini than this.

I've heard a story similar, though different in key respects and far less confusingly told, to this from someone who witnessed a "challenge match" between Cheung and Pang.

Not really interested in spewing hearsay about stuff that happened over 30 years ago, though.

OP
B

BlueBoy11

White Belt
Reaction score
ok to clear up things and i dont know how anybody, got confused cheung challenged pang is sept 1976 . bill called him out saying he only had 6 months training , which was right i joined pangs a week later

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No I dont really think that was the thrust of the thread.

I think that's probably because you haven't read it very closely, or noticed what he said on the other thread he posted on. I will explain:

Hi guys this is a mini history of wing chun, in melbourne Australia. In 1974 william cheeung opened his first school in Russell street chinatown then shortly after that 1975 Mr Barry Pang opened his school at goju headquters in lt bourke street then his own club in bourke st in 1976 at that time, william challenged Barry pang to a bei mo which pang laughed it off mr pangs school became very well known after that.

Scene setting about the history of wing chun in Melbourne

Around 1981 a student of Barry pangs the only one who was being paid , to teach for him, left for hong kong to train under wong shun leung when he returened he opened his own school and bad mouthed his former teacher this got recived very badly and he was challeneged to a fair fight and lost badly . This happenened in box hill around 1982.This person only went to hong kong dueing school holidays and never lived there in fact , untill the late 90s you could only get three months visa and had to come back to oz to get renewed you could get extenidions but they were for bussness people and the like .

Detail of the experience of the person mentioned by this poster on the other thread.

ps the only person whom has completed , his training under wsl was Mr Barry Lee and thats a fact hope people, find this helpful

Reiteration that Barry Lee completed the system under WSL, in contrast to the person mentioned on the other thread and discussed in detail above.

So it appears to be a post about WSL VT in Australia, and the experience of a particular WSL VT teacher in particular, not a post about other unrelated wing chun which also happens to exist in Australia and which the above mentioned person started out learning before switching to WSL VT.

Latest Discussions