Melbourne Wing chun Mini history

BlueBoy11

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys this is a mini history of wing chun, in melbourne Australia. In 1974 william cheeung opened his first school in Russell street chinatown then shortly after that 1975 Mr Barry Pang opened his school at goju headquters in lt bourke street then his own club in bourke st in 1976 at that time, william challenged Barry pang to a bei mo which pang laughed it off mr pangs school became very well known after that. Around 1981 a student of Barry pangs the only one who was being paid , to teach for him, left for hong kong to train under wong shun leung when he returened he opened his own school and bad mouthed his former teacher this got recived very badly and he was challeneged to a fair fight and lost badly . This happenened in box hill around 1982.This person only went to hong kong dueing school holidays and never lived there in fact , untill the late 90s you could only get three months visa and had to come back to oz to get renewed you could get extenidions but they were for bussness people and the like . ps the only person whom has completed , his training under wsl was Mr Barry Lee and thats a fact hope people, find this helpful. . ps all other schools save one recently opened came from williams or barrys. there have been others but they keep to themselfs

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys this is a mini history of wing chun, in melbourne Australia. In 1974 william cheeung opened his first school in Russell street chinatown then shortly after that 1975 Mr Barry Pang opened his school at goju headquters in lt bourke street then his own club in bourke st in 1976 at that time, william challenged Barry pang to a bei mo which pang laughed it off mr pangs school became very well known after that. Around 1981 a student of Barry pangs the only one who was being paid , to teach for him, left for hong kong to train under wong shun leung when he returened he opened his own school and bad mouthed his former teacher this got recived very badly and he was challeneged to a fair fight and lost badly . This happenened in box hill around 1982.This person only went to hong kong dueing school holidays and never lived there in fact , untill the late 90s you could only get three months visa and had to come back to oz to get renewed you could get extenidions but they were for bussness people and the like . ps the only person whom has completed , his training under wsl was Mr Barry Lee and thats a fact hope people, find this helpful. . ps all other schools save one recently opened came from williams or barrys. there have been others but they keep to themselfs
This is almost informative, but confusing to read. I'd love to have this fleshed out a bit (with proper punctuation and capitalization to make it easier to understand). You name several names, but dance around the one that seems to be the main point of your post. I presume this to be the same person mentioned in other thread, but would appreciate clarity in the reference.

OP
B

BlueBoy11

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi gerry my laptop is playing up a bit please forgive ny errorrs i will pm you more later , and i am trying to be careful in what i say

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is almost informative, but confusing to read. I'd love to have this fleshed out a bit (with proper punctuation and capitalization to make it easier to understand). You name several names, but dance around the one that seems to be the main point of your post. I presume this to be the same person mentioned in other thread, but would appreciate clarity in the reference.

Perhaps he is one of those who kept themselves to themselves, but reading other Wing Chun threads, wants to make a point on ability maybe?

SOD-WC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A little piece of WC history is always interesting. Not being critical but i had to read ur post a few times before getting the right picture. Thanks for sharing Blueboy.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little piece of WC history is always interesting. Not being critical but i had to read ur post a few times before getting the right picture. Thanks for sharing Blueboy.

Would you perhaps be able to elaborate, in keeping with the respect of the OP of course.

SOD-WC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Of course, ill explain in more detail. The first half of the history i got confused because of all the names and linking them to events. They where writtent in a continuous sentence which cause me to confuse myself.

The second part of the post was easy to read. Hope that help.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course, ill explain in more detail. The first half of the history i got confused because of all the names and linking them to events. They where writtent in a continuous sentence which cause me to confuse myself.

The second part of the post was easy to read. Hope that help.

Yeah no problem :)

OP
B

BlueBoy11

White Belt
Reaction score
He sounds like he may have some valid input - I'd just like to be able to read them.
hi guys, sorry about mising gramma laptop hassales, Now despite what some aussies claim sifu Barry lee was the only person, authorized to teach for w sl in Australia . Others were told to comlpete their training under and did not no aussie except one had any more than 18 months training under wsl thats fact. Mr barry pang was the first person who train with wong he says 9 months but this cant be because of visa issues , of that time more to come later

OP
B

BlueBoy11

White Belt
Reaction score
hi guys, sorry about mising gramma laptop hassales, Now despite what some aussies claim sifu Barry lee was the only person, authorized to teach for w sl in Australia . Others were told to comlpete their training under mr lee and did not no aussie except one had any more than 18 months training under wsl thats fact. Mr barry pang was the first person who train with wong he says 9 months but this cant be because of visa issues , of that time more to come later

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As someone ignorant in wing chun, but curious, what is a bei mo?

Also, from what I gather, Barry Pang is your sifu, but you do not think he is qualified to teach Wing Chun? I'm sure that is incorrect somewhere, but could you clarify the discrepance in what I read?

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
hi guys, sorry about mising gramma laptop hassales, Now despite what some aussies claim sifu Barry lee was the only person, authorized to teach for w sl in Australia . Others were told to comlpete their training under and did not no aussie except one had any more than 18 months training under wsl thats fact. Mr barry pang was the first person who train with wong he says 9 months but this cant be because of visa issues , of that time more to come later

Do you have any details on Barry Lee's VT beyond what little is available on the internet? Any pictures, articles, clips and so on? He is one I of WSL's students that I really don't know anything about.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you have any details on Barry Lee's VT beyond what little is available on the internet? Any pictures, articles, clips and so on? He is one I of WSL's students that I really don't know anything about.
---------------------------------------
WSL used to call him "the machine" because of his persistence. He is an ex-brother in law of WSL

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The story has a similar feel to what happened in my style where a student isn't made a Sifu but teaches as one.

I wonder if much of the agrees in the wing Chun community comes from this. In Jow Ga the Sifu to be is given special training that other students don't get. I can only assume this is common in Chinese martial arts.

This may also be one of the reasons why some people claim that certain lineages are missing components that another lineage has.

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
what happened in my style where a student isn't made a Sifu but teaches as one.

I wonder if much of the agrees in the wing Chun community comes from this

Don't think so, no. Not sure what "made a sifu" would mean in the context of VT. People can complete the system or not. Many people that are/were teaching it didn't have a complete understanding of the system, but there isn't anything secret that is reserved for "sifus-to-be", and there are no ranks.

OP
B

BlueBoy11

White Belt
Reaction score
As someone ignorant in wing chun, but curious, what is a bei mo?

Also, from what I gather, Barry Pang is your sifu, but you do not think he is qualified to teach Wing Chun? I'm sure that is incorrect somewhere, but could you clarify the discrepance in what I read?[/QUOHi Kempo i was training with Barry Pang from 1976 to 87 , i left there after finding out many thimgs about his so called training , like other people who talk big in australia and did not train with wong much directly at all , this is what i am trying to get arcross . in hong kong you would be taught by the senors , with a bit of correction by the sifu whomever , that maybe

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Kempo i was training with Barry Pang from 1976 to 87 , i left there after finding out many thimgs about his so called training , like other people who talk big in australia and did not train with wong much directly at all , this is what i am trying to get arcross . in hong kong you would be taught by the senors , with a bit of correction by the sifu whomever , that maybe

Any info about Barry Lee?

Latest Discussions