Meaning of the term "Dosa"

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So I was recently talking with some friends of mine and we got talking about the meaning and significance of the Korean term Dosa. To the best of my understanding, it is equivalent to a Buddhist master or Taoist immortal. However none of us are native Korean, so we are taking our best guess based on the information we have read.

So I was wondering what peoples take on the term is, whether you are Korean by heritage or a Korean martial art practitioner. Do you see it as a title reserved for someone who's reached Masters status? Can it be used by someone who's decided he wants to take a spiritual path?

Just looking for a better understanding. :)

reeskm

Green Belt
Reaction score
dosa is korean for a taoist monk. Tao is chinese and Do is the korean/japanese equivalent. A taoist monk is called a "dosa".

hanja would be more useful in making sure, if you have it.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Doin is a do or dao/tao practioner.
A Tae_kwon_doin practices the foot fist way.
A Tang_Soo_doin practices the China Hand way.
Etc.
It is much like the Ka suffix in Japanese.
A Karateka practices the empty hand way.
A To_Te_ka practices the China Hand way.

Sa is like Shi. A teacher, one who makes a living by teaching.
Do As is a teacher of a "way"

reeskm

Green Belt
Reaction score
Doin is a do or dao/tao practioner.
Sa is like Shi. A teacher, one who makes a living by teaching.
Do As is a teacher of a "way"

TSDTexan,
I'm sure you meant "Do Sa is a teacher of the way" and by that logic, I totally agree.
This is another way to look at it.

I usually like to try and arrive at this from another angle - by finding something in published religious literature, because things often get messed up in translation in western/english martial arts publications. I trust them less and less these days. There is too much propagated as truth when it is in fact flawed or taken as gospel.

OP
T

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
TSDTexan,
I'm sure you meant "Do Sa is a teacher of the way" and by that logic, I totally agree.
This is another way to look at it.

I usually like to try and arrive at this from another angle - by finding something in published religious literature, because things often get messed up in translation in western/english martial arts publications. I trust them less and less these days. There is too much propagated as truth when it is in fact flawed or taken as gospel.

This is something that I have noticed too. Although it doesn't help that resurch done in asia can be highly influenced by their countries sense of nationalism and most people who come into martial arts are not historical scholars.

I guess I was wondering if people from Korea see the term Dosa in a literal sense as someone who teaches Daoism or if it is used more generally for anyone who understands their path and can show others.

Latest Discussions