Mcdojo's and their Managers

• Thread starter Deflecting_the_Storm
  • Start date

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is this referencing yourself? I'm truly lost with this one. I see a post from 2004 and then yours with none in between.
it is possible the post was deleted by the mods.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How confusing.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is this referencing yourself? I'm truly lost with this one. I see a post from 2004 and then yours with none in between.
How fun! The mods must have decided he was spamming his software, and set me up by deleting his post.
That will teach me to be snarky! (nah, I doubt it) :)

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
well i am gald we got that resolved. :bored:
now we can let this thread go back down to the depth of Hades where it belongs. :walkingdead:

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It does make your post pretty ironic, though.
Yep! I'm betting that whichever mod deleted that post, they were probably snickering at leaving mine out there by itself. I know I would have been! :)

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I dont know who came up with that phrase Mcdojo, but I tell you it describes exactly how I feel about the majority of schools out here today. The question I post to the great people of Martialtalk is this: How does the public buy into all of the BS associated with these schools? Is it that hard to research or look around to find more scientific or better run places? A few years ago I attended a seminar by Huk Planis. Great guy, I maybe knew 3 techniques in Kenpo, had my white belt, and really didnt know anything. (In Kenpo that is) There were other Instructors there and the guy who owned the place was there attending too. I think his name was Rob or Bob Hazlewood if I remember correctly. Both he and Mr. Planis looked like they had been sucked out of a self-defense book and brought to life! The movements, the clear explanations, answering all the questions, and even changing stances and movements for people that it didnt work for. It was amazing. To tell you the honest truth, I havent seen anyone like that in a long time. True teachers of their art. Lots of other instructors and even BB carry themselves as proud, arrogant people. Who know exactly what they are talking about. These two men talked to me like I was a person. Teaching me things that I could use in helping me learn Kenpo. No degrading, no downsizing, they taught me like I had been in this for years and that it was just a little problem that needed to be fixed. Whats really sad is, they never knew my name, but they gave me more respect as a student/person than any other instructer or teacher I have met here in Texas. No BS. They asked me what I was studying, they heckled me, they treated me like a guy who came to learn. Not a follower. I called them sir while they helped me but they kept me from saying that over and over again telling me that I was old enough to know respect. I laughed with them and still called them sir. How do others feel about the MCdojos that exist, and how do they stay open?

Most people are ignorant of Martial Arts when they first start training. Many people are unsure what to look for in a MA school. There are parents that take their child or children to one school that they know very little about. They think it's all the same, "kicking is kicking, punching is punching". Mcdojos have their business down to a science. They know how to act, speak and present themselves in a manner that makes them look competent. They know how to create an environment that tricks people into thinking they are at the right school. In summary, I think children make up the bulk of the business for Mcdojos and that's what keeps them financially successful.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I dont know who came up with that phrase Mcdojo, but I tell you it describes exactly how I feel about the majority of schools out here today. The question I post to the great people of Martialtalk is this: How does the public buy into all of the BS associated with these schools? Is it that hard to research or look around to find more scientific or better run places? A few years ago I attended a seminar by Huk Planis. Great guy, I maybe knew 3 techniques in Kenpo, had my white belt, and really didnt know anything. (In Kenpo that is) There were other Instructors there and the guy who owned the place was there attending too. I think his name was Rob or Bob Hazlewood if I remember correctly. Both he and Mr. Planis looked like they had been sucked out of a self-defense book and brought to life! The movements, the clear explanations, answering all the questions, and even changing stances and movements for people that it didnt work for. It was amazing. To tell you the honest truth, I havent seen anyone like that in a long time. True teachers of their art. Lots of other instructors and even BB carry themselves as proud, arrogant people. Who know exactly what they are talking about. These two men talked to me like I was a person. Teaching me things that I could use in helping me learn Kenpo. No degrading, no downsizing, they taught me like I had been in this for years and that it was just a little problem that needed to be fixed. Whats really sad is, they never knew my name, but they gave me more respect as a student/person than any other instructer or teacher I have met here in Texas. No BS. They asked me what I was studying, they heckled me, they treated me like a guy who came to learn. Not a follower. I called them sir while they helped me but they kept me from saying that over and over again telling me that I was old enough to know respect. I laughed with them and still called them sir. How do others feel about the MCdojos that exist, and how do they stay open?

I once saw an ad in the classifieds years ago that said "Martial Arts School Assistant Instructor wanted, no experience required."

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I once saw an ad in the classifieds years ago that said "Martial Arts School Assistant Instructor wanted, no experience required."

One hopes that means the candidate doesn't need TEACHING experience...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One hopes that means the candidate doesn't need TEACHING experience...
I'd hope. I'm amazed at the idea of posting for an instructor job, anyway. I think that's because I come from an art where finding another instructor candidate in the area would be miraculous. In something like TKD, I can see where it might be reasonable to hope there's a viable candidate in the area.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd hope. I'm amazed at the idea of posting for an instructor job, anyway. I think that's because I come from an art where finding another instructor candidate in the area would be miraculous. In something like TKD, I can see where it might be reasonable to hope there's a viable candidate in the area.

Even, then...
If I hired a random TKD Black Belt off the street to teach, it's very unlikely they'd be teaching our system, or even know our poomsae.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even, then...
If I hired a random TKD Black Belt off the street to teach, it's very unlikely they'd be teaching our system, or even know our poomsae.
Agreed. If it's someone to help oversee some classes (maybe kids, though I'd be most reluctant to hire blind for that), I guess maybe. I guess it's like hiring a trainer in the corporate world - experience doesn't necessarily mean they're very good, nor that they can teach the stuff used in your environment. I'd be interested in hearing a different viewpoint, but I don't know anyone who has ever hired a MA instructor that way.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
About a year or so ago, a new MA school opened up in a plaza (or at least that's when I first noticed it). I looked it up and found this (it gets really good at about :30 in :) )...

Maybe they're the ones with the help wanted ads?

Last edited:

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Although this was brought up through some impressive thread necromancy, it's a worthwhile discussion in my view.

It's honestly very hard for the non-aficionado to tell the difference between mass produced crap and stuff that has spread because it is really good.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Although this was brought up through some impressive thread necromancy, it's a worthwhile discussion in my view.

It's honestly very hard for the non-aficionado to tell the difference between mass produced crap and stuff that has spread because it is really good.
While there's no shortage of idiots out there, let's be serious. A lot of people can tell crap fantasy "fighting" from realistic stuff. Most McDojo warriors aren't there to fight, they're there to have fun, exercise, spend quality time with their kids, etc.

I know several people pretty well who have their kids at a local McDojo or two. I've told them about where I train and how it's about 1/3 the price (no exaggeration). They're completely happy with how the McDojo is run and all the fringe benefits of it. I don't preach, I just start with "... if you're looking for something cheaper and actually MA..." They're happy where they are, and I'm happy for them. Not a single one left. Most common response: "My kids love it there."

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While there's no shortage of idiots out there, let's be serious. A lot of people can tell crap fantasy "fighting" from realistic stuff. Most McDojo warriors aren't there to fight, they're there to have fun, exercise, spend quality time with their kids, etc.

I know several people pretty well who have their kids at a local McDojo or two. I've told them about where I train and how it's about 1/3 the price (no exaggeration). They're completely happy with how the McDojo is run and all the fringe benefits of it. I don't preach, I just start with "... if you're looking for something cheaper and actually MA..." They're happy where they are, and I'm happy for them. Not a single one left. Most common response: "My kids love it there."
Some don't, I think. I've seen a demo by a nearby school, and I found literally everything in the demo (except one student - I'll come to him later) entirely abysmal. Breaks failed (because of poor technique - even I could see it), and people clapped and seemed impressed by the explanation and by the breaks that succeeded. Kata were performed sloppily (I could tell, although I have no idea what their kata are/should be). Multiple attacker defense was demonstrated, and the sequencing was more obvious than an episode of Walker: Texas Ranger, yet people were suitably impressed as each attacker was defeated. Even the chief instructor was unimpressive.

That was about 20 years ago. That school is still open, and appears to be flourishing by demonstrating their poor skills. It seems a lot of people go to this school based upon these demonstrations (according to the instructor, who I spoke with briefly at that demo).

That one student I said was impressive? He was a yellow belt, and his movement looked like maybe TKD (which the school is not). He had good kicks and smooth movement. He stood out among the demo team as being competent - I have to assume he was trained elsewhere before going to that school.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
About a year or so ago, a new MA school opened up in a plaza (or at least that's when I first noticed it). I looked it up and found this (it gets really good at about :30 in :) )...

Maybe they're the ones with the help wanted ads?

Yikes, yeah that's probably the type of school that posted the job listing

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some don't, I think. I've seen a demo by a nearby school, and I found literally everything in the demo (except one student - I'll come to him later) entirely abysmal. Breaks failed (because of poor technique - even I could see it), and people clapped and seemed impressed by the explanation and by the breaks that succeeded. Kata were performed sloppily (I could tell, although I have no idea what their kata are/should be). Multiple attacker defense was demonstrated, and the sequencing was more obvious than an episode of Walker: Texas Ranger, yet people were suitably impressed as each attacker was defeated. Even the chief instructor was unimpressive.

That was about 20 years ago. That school is still open, and appears to be flourishing by demonstrating their poor skills. It seems a lot of people go to this school based upon these demonstrations (according to the instructor, who I spoke with briefly at that demo).

That one student I said was impressive? He was a yellow belt, and his movement looked like maybe TKD (which the school is not). He had good kicks and smooth movement. He stood out among the demo team as being competent - I have to assume he was trained elsewhere before going to that school.
Thanks for that, Gerry. On the very rare occurrence that I gave mankind the benefit of the doubt, you just had to come up with reality and squash what little hope I had.

Latest Discussions