Supposedly "Ancient Samurai Ju-jutsu updated for the modern world"

G

Gaidheal

Hi all!

I visited this link after it was posted in an NG I read and actually downloaded and read the 'book'. Anyone else read it? Anyone else want to read it and comment?

http://www.miyamaryu.org/freejujutsubook.html

I know what I think but I'd be interested in the thoughts of some of the more experienced forum members. Though obviously anyone is free to comment!!

John

OP
B

Baytor

Ok, I'll bite.

Having read the downloadable .pdf file, and basing my statement only on that, it looks like the typical regurgitated crap that you always see advertised. You know, the whole "I was a navy seal who trained delta force guys so they could break into columbian drug lord housed unarmed and naked and kill everyone using moves so simple and devestatin because they were programed into their heads in just 2 hours of painless training. Did I mention devastating. And easy to learn."

My real problem here is that they enspouse training realistically, but it is done in books. I think that while you can learn things out of a book, you are really losing a whole lot by not training with someone knowledgeable.

My 2 cents.

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Reminds me of those ads in the back of comic books. Except these booklets are asking for $34.95 a pop. *ouch*

OP
A

auxprix

the cover has illustrations of popular Judo techniques. You can not, I repeat, can not learn Judo from a book. If you already have the basics, you may be able to pick up a few techniques in this way, but the basics have to be trained into you first.

Ok, now onto the claims:

"125 White through green belt techniques."

Since when have colored belts been used in Ancient Samurai Jujutsu? That's a modern trend. I don't know what a green belt is in whatever they are promoting, but I'm going to guess it's either a yonkyu or sankyu, maybe a nikyu. Even at nikyu, 125 techniques is alot to remember in grappling arts. They must be including Ukemi and other non combative techniques, which leads me to my next point...

How do they propose you practice this without training in falling technique? If you get this book and just begin throwing people improperly who haven't been Ukemi trained, someone's going to get hurt. Even if they do explain the art of falling, It is something that can not be directed in only words. An expert has to watch you and tell you what you're doing wrong, because nobody gets it completely right the first time.

Third: what about dangerous and sensitive manuevers. By sensitive, I mean difficult and less tangible. Perfect example: Choke techniques. They are more than just a means of wrapping your arms around someones neck. You have to be very careful in your placement. If you aren't, it either won't work or will hurt Uke. It takes alot of practice to generate a decent choke. If you aren't taught how not to hurt someone, this practice would be dangerous.

My verdict: Bullshido. You can always find an 'expert' to page through your book and give it a good review.

OP
G

Gaidheal

Yeah.. pretty much what I thought in every regard.. but every so often I like to check that I am not simply being arrogant and overly skeptical. Nice to know I was right... again.

John

[edit]P.S. Manners!! Thankyou all for bothering to take the time to read that dross and reply to me here.

Latest Discussions