Mcdojo's and their Managers

• Thread starter Deflecting_the_Storm
  • Start date

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The strange truth that I've discovered, and come to grips with, is that a great many people don't want effective training. They don't want to practice that much or that hard. They are perfectly happy doing sloppy technique and feeling good about themselves because they're training in the martial arts. This is why there are still a lot of strip mall karate clubs, and places like the World Sokeship Council and World Martial Arts Hall of Fame have a lot of members. :) McDojos obviously fill a need, and even bad martial arts training is better than sitting on the couch watching reality TV. :)

swhitney222

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Most people are ignorant of Martial Arts when they first start training. Many people are unsure what to look for in a MA school. There are parents that take their child or children to one school that they know very little about. They think it's all the same, "kicking is kicking, punching is punching". Mcdojos have their business down to a science. They know how to act, speak and present themselves in a manner that makes them look competent. They know how to create an environment that tricks people into thinking they are at the right school. In summary, I think children make up the bulk of the business for Mcdojos and that's what keeps them financially successful.

Hi Anarax,

I total agree. most people are uneducated about the different types and styles/systems of martial arts especially starting out. I started out my training with no research and ended up training with a school that could talk great and could sell anything. Not until you are to deep in training do you find out that it was a bunch of crap. He would not tell anyone who certified him in his rank in any of the styles he was teaching, no paper certifications of rank, and over the years began to test people that skill levels were not there. I know cause I got to black and was running his schools for awhile until I went to another school and noticed a huge difference in knowledge and skill that I was not getting. Glad I am not there now he is doing 3 year contracts and has watered down the skill needed to get your next belt. I guess if you made up your own curriculum with no lineage you can make up whatever you like. So glad I am out of there now.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
The strange truth that I've discovered, and come to grips with, is that a great many people don't want effective training. They don't want to practice that much or that hard. They are perfectly happy doing sloppy technique and feeling good about themselves because they're training in the martial arts. This is why there are still a lot of strip mall karate clubs, and places like the World Sokeship Council and World Martial Arts Hall of Fame have a lot of members. :) McDojos obviously fill a need, and even bad martial arts training is better than sitting on the couch watching reality TV. :)

i have thought the same thing for a long time now. my take on it is that people want the image of a butt kicking bad a$$. they enjoy family and friends bragging about how they just got their next rank, they like the feeling when people say to them "oh your a black belt ,, well i wont mess with you" to me it is the equivalent of guys that buy and ride a Harley motorcycle but are not really bikers. they bought the Harley to be cool but really a Vesper would meet their riding needs.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score

i have thought the same thing for a long time now. my take on it is that people want the image of a butt kicking bad a$$. they enjoy family and friends bragging about how they just got their next rank, they like the feeling when people say to them "oh your a black belt ,, well i wont mess with you" to me it is the equivalent of guys that buy and ride a Harley motorcycle but are not really bikers. they bought the Harley to be cool but really a Vesper would meet their riding needs.

swhitney222

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Most people are ignorant of Martial Arts when they first start training. Many people are unsure what to look for in a MA school. There are parents that take their child or children to one school that they know very little about. They think it's all the same, "kicking is kicking, punching is punching". Mcdojos have their business down to a science. They know how to act, speak and present themselves in a manner that makes them look competent. They know how to create an environment that tricks people into thinking they are at the right school. In summary, I think children make up the bulk of the business for Mcdojos and that's what keeps them financially successful.

Hi Anarax,

I total agree. most people are uneducated about the different types and styles/systems of martial arts especially starting out. I started out my training with no research and ended up training with a school that could talk great and could sell anything. Not until you are to deep in training do you find out that it was a bunch of crap. He would not tell anyone who certified him in his rank in any of the styles he was teaching, no paper certifications of rank, and over the years began to test people that skill levels were not there. I know cause I got to black and was running his schools for awhile until I went to another school and noticed a huge difference in knowledge and skill that I was not getting. Glad I am not there now he is doing 3 year contracts and has watered down the skill needed to get your next belt. I guess if you made up your own curriculum with no lineage you can make up whatever you like.

The main problem is people don't know any difference when they start and most become brain washed into thinking that they have this great skill and knowledge. and sadly they do not research there own art to find out the truth.

Latest Discussions