Maxims.

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
Throw out some WT Maxims you've been told over the years and let's talk about them.

"When your elbow moves, the body stays. When your body moves, the elbow stays"

"Hands move before the feet"

"Every step is a kick"

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"When your elbow moves, the body stays. When your body moves, the elbow stays"

"Hands move before the feet"

"Every step is a kick"
You have just violate the most basic CMA guidelines:

1. Body unification - When you move, all body parts move at the same time. when you stop, all body parts stop at the same time.
2. Outer 3 harmony - Hand shoulder coordinate with foot. Elbow should coordinate with knee. Shoulder should coordinate with hip.

I prefer to call that "every step can be either a shin bite, or a reverse shin bite".

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score

1. Body unification - When you move, all body parts move at the same time. when you stop, all body parts stop at the same time.
2. Outer 3 harmony - Hand shoulder coordinate with foot. Elbow should coordinate with knee. Shoulder should coordinate with hip.

I prefer to call that "every step can be either a shin bite, or a reverse shin bite".

Uh, it's not a violation, he's saying the same thing you are. The motto of " when the elbow moves the body doesn't, when the body moves the elbow doesn't", is first addressed in the Chum Kiu form.

The Chum Kiu form teaches body unison. Hands and feet are synchronized, as are elbows/knees, and shoulder/hips.

When we say the elbow doesn't move when the body moves, we are saying that the elbow doesn't move from where it is in relation to the body, but it does move through space along with the body.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Keep your hands up and your chin down.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When we say the elbow doesn't move when the body moves, we are saying that the elbow doesn't move from where it is in relation to the body, but it does move through space along with the body.
So it's the same as to say, "You only see the body move and you don't see the arm move". In that case, I agree!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think the purpose of this thread was to nitpick the maxims. Sayings like this present an over-simplified view, by necessity, to make them easy to say in a moment. Their purpose is to remind of a specific principle, not to fully describe the movement.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

While I don't study wing chun, I can't imagine a time where I want full body unification in the sense that you're saying. Generally, I want my hand, shoulder, hip, knee and ankle/foot in line. I don't want my elbow, eyes or head to follow that line though. I think this is a fair statement to make throughout MA and that wing chun woudl not be an exception. As for point two, I agree hand/shoulder should coordinate with foot, and shoulder should coordinate with hip, but I don't think they should coordinate with elbow. When I see people trying to make their elbow move, it tends to be a "popping", that is dealing damage to their elbow in the long term. That's what makes learning a jab/cross against a wall so useful (if you don't understand what I mean by that let me know and I'll make a video. IMO it's a really important drill for any style that teaches jab/cross)

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
5af1800dbd18b30ced7a98fd63f0fe1f411091a0da880f6bf4dcdd967cce8270.jpg

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Another maxim, this one concerning sparring. One that was a sign on our dojo wall for years -

Beware of those that say "We'll go easy."

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in seeing that, or at least a description of it.

I would also like to see an example that

- your hand coordinate with your foot, but
- your elbow does not coordinate with your knee.

Ignore most of my form in this video-It's probably horrible since I just wanted to show the concept of the drill. Also, I switched feet halfway through-that was just to show how it works with a cross, without forcing my camera holder to move to a different angle. Obviously if your drilling it and you only fight with one leg forward, you would just turn around to focus on the cross. The idea is to make sure that your jab or cross is that you have to keep your elbow in while throwing it-if your elbow normally moves away from your body and your arm corkscrews when you punch (something I've seen a lot in beginners), it will hit the wall and you learn to stop doing that.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ignore most of my form in this video-It's probably horrible since I just wanted to show the concept of the drill. Also, I switched feet halfway through-that was just to show how it works with a cross, without forcing my camera holder to move to a different angle. Obviously if your drilling it and you only fight with one leg forward, you would just turn around to focus on the cross. The idea is to make sure that your jab or cross is that you have to keep your elbow in while throwing it-if your elbow normally moves away from your body and your arm corkscrews when you punch (something I've seen a lot in beginners), it will hit the wall and you learn to stop doing that.

Also, if you look at my legs, I intentionally turned them (not necessarily correctly) while throwing the punches just so you can see it doesn't interfere with any hip or leg movement.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Your clip doesn't work for me.

If you just try to keep elbow in, it has nothing to do with your elbow and knee coordination. If your hand is truly coordinate with your foot, it's difficult to make your elbow to move slower or faster than your knee movement.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

"This video is unavailable."

Latest Discussions