Maxims.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
"This video is unavailable."
@gpseymour @Kung Fu Wang the video should be viewable now. Keep in mind A: it isnt a drill for body unification as a whole, just a way to learn how to keep your elbow in, and B: the movement in the legs/hip are just to show the drill doesn't impede with any other movements, so it should work no matter how you generate power.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@gpseymour @Kung Fu Wang the video should be viewable now. Keep in mind A: it isnt a drill for body unification as a whole, just a way to learn how to keep your elbow in, and B: the movement in the legs/hip are just to show the drill doesn't impede with any other movements, so it should work no matter how you generate power.
That's a nice, simple drill for correcting (actually, creating awareness, which leads to correction) a pretty common mistake.

OP
Highlander

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
"Hands before the feet"
Your hands have to lead the charge, if you start a movement in you're legs it's very easy to 'outrun' your structure.

"Every step is a kick, every kick is a step
"
This doesn't mean that every time you take a step you're practicing kicking. What I think this means is every step should be taken with the explosive energy of a kick. Also it's a reminder that you should be able to throw a kick at any point while you're moving and fighting. I.e keep your weight back.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It looks to me that your elbow and knee are coordinated.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks to me that your elbow and knee are coordinated.
They very well may be, but that's more a result of ingrained habits, not the drill.

Edit: Actually, it may be the drill to. I'll have to experiment with it to see if the drill teaches anything about coordinating arm with legs. I don't think so though.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
They very well may be, but that's more a result of ingrained habits, not the drill.

Edit: Actually, it may be the drill to. I'll have to experiment with it to see if the drill teaches anything about coordinating arm with legs. I don't think so though.
If your hand and foot stop at the same time, you should achieve the 3 harmony already. Unless when your punch stop, but your leg is still moving (or the other way around).

For example, the following drill has achieved 3 harmony.

- You step in and do downward block at the same time.

The following drill has not achieved 3 harmony.

- You step in.
- You then do downward block.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If your hand and foot stop at the same time, you should achieve the 3 harmony already. Unless when your punch stop, but your leg is still moving (or the other way around).

For example, the following drill has achieved 3 harmony.

- You step in and do downward block at the same time.

The following drill has not achieved 3 harmony.

- You step in.
- You then do downward block.
I agree fully, but thats not the point of the drill i showed. That drill is purely about keeping your elbow in (which can be done without losing out on body unification)

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can't imagine a time where I want full body unification in the sense that you're saying.
The discussion started from your concern.

The human body is like 3 springs. Without training, all 3 springs will compress and release separately. With training, all 3 springs will compress at the same time and release at the same time (body unification).

I do think this principle apply to all MA systems.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

The human body is like 3 springs. Without training, all 3 springs will compress and release separately. With training, all 3 springs will compress at the same time and release at the same time (body unification).

I should correct my previous statement (not my concern). I want my arm and shoulder in line, I don't want my elbow in line with anything. I want my elbow doing as little movement as possible.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

That is an interesting analogy. Where are the 3 springs relative to the body?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Each limb can be a spring. So it can be as many as 4 springs.
That was my ponder. This leads to the segmented movement argument. I can make a finite amount of power if I use only my arm or leg. With my back pressed to a wall for example. They are a spring in the functional sense but with potential energy only. When I add the powerful spring in my mid-section the strike is exponentially stronger. So if the arms and legs are springs, I would add that the waist is also a spring. And you could argue that the shoulders and hips are also springs.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Where are the 3 springs relative to the body?
When you execute a throw, you will

- pull your opponent's leading arm with your arm wrap.
- lift his left shoulder with your under hook.
- horse back kick up his legs.

All these 3 forces should start at the same time and end at the same time.

Last edited:
OP
Highlander

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
That is an interesting analogy. Where are the 3 springs relative to the body?
My thoughts on this is the body is one large spring working together. If I had to break it into three sections I would say it's the legs, spine, and arms, but they should all flow/work as one.

OP
Highlander

Highlander

Green Belt
Reaction score
- In training your body pushes your arm (for power).
- In fighting your body chases your arm (for speed).
^^^^hands before the feet.
I think were beating around the same bush here my man.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions