Master Wong's latest Wing Chun video

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score

This is the problem , indeed.
The problem is , he assumes that Wing Chun people are mindless automatons that will keep chain punching into the point of someones elbow.
The beauty of Wing Chun is that any technique can be interrupted and converted into something else.
Chain punching can also be combined with latching and parrying to necessitate the removal of any obstructions so that our punch can reach it's intended target.

Going all defensive and holding your arms up trying to shield means that you are vulnerable to having your balance manipulated by having your elbows parried to the side which will move your whole body , not to mention holding your arms up horizontally like that is also asking to get your arm latched down and your shoulder probably wrenched out of it's socket.
Arms are great handles to effect leverage on the opponents body , and genuine Wing Chun makes extensive use of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is the problem , indeed.
The problem is , he assumes that Wing Chun people are mindless automatons that will keep chain punching into the point of someones elbow.
The beauty of Wing Chun is that any technique can be interrupted and converted into something else.
Chain punching can also be combined with latching and parrying to necessitate the removal of any obstructions so that our punch can reach it's intended target.

Going all defensive and holding your arms up trying to shield means that you are vulnerable to having your balance manipulated by having your elbows parried to the side which will move your whole body , not to mention holding your arms up horizontally like that is also asking to get your arm latched down and your shoulder probably wrenched out of it's socket.
Arms are great handles to effect leverage on the opponents body , and genuine Wing Chun makes extensive use of them.

I'm only a month into training but even I wouldn't chain punch for 100 yrs when a guy has his elbows covering his face. In wing chun your looking for openings, ie.e chest and legs in this scenario.. Every point he makes, there is a counter point. The only "weakness" I see in wing chun is ground fighting. But, in the street if someone has me in a arm bar, expect to be severely bitten or be missing a pair of nuts.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm only a month into training but even I wouldn't chain punch for 100 yrs when a guy has his elbows covering his face. In wing chun your looking for openings, ie.e chest and legs in this scenario.. Every point he makes, there is a counter point. The only "weakness" I see in wing chun is ground fighting. But, in the street if someone has me in a arm bar, expect to be severely bitten or be missing a pair of nuts.

Actually you don't even have to do that , you just move the obstruction out of the way and the targets are revealed.
Sometimes if it is more advantageous and efficient for us to go around the obstruction we will do that , as in the case of the Hook punch from Bil Sze , but usually it's just a matter of moving the barrier slightly to the side or pulling the barrier down in order to get the punch through.

Latest Discussions