Master Wong's latest Wing Chun video

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yes, it is. But how many people have found it as a result?

Mind you, im not saying its a good thing. I was originally just saying. Its advertising.

Yeah, but it's wrong. It can also confuse people that don't know the difference. Not only that, it can give a style a lot of bad rep. It's like Krav Maga. So many people claim to teach it, and they don't teach anything CLOSE to it. So eventually people get the wrong idea about the style and it hurts the business of true Krav schools.
But these posers don't care. When they smear a style's rep, they will just find the new fad style and move on. These people are leeches.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, but it's wrong. It can also confuse people that don't know the difference. Not only that, it can give a style a lot of bad rep. It's like Krav Maga. So many people claim to teach it, and they don't teach anything CLOSE to it. So eventually people get the wrong idea about the style and it hurts the business of true Krav schools.
But these posers don't care. When they smear a style's rep, they will just find the new fad style and move on. These people are leeches.

Of course. I didnt imply otherwise. Its advertising.

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Of course. I didnt imply otherwise. Its advertising.

True. I just wish that these people were subject to the same laws as a company found to be falsely advertising. But unfortunately a judge would likely not see the difference due to ignorance of the subject. ( Some may get it, I'm sure a few judges practice martial arts ) But as it stands now, trying to go after someone advertising a style they don't really teach is fighting an uphill battle. And that is assuming anyone is willing to listen in the first place :/

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
True. I just wish that these people were subject to the same laws as a company found to be falsely advertising. But unfortunately a judge would likely not see the difference due to ignorance of the subject. ( Some may get it, I'm sure a few judges practice martial arts ) But as it stands now, trying to go after someone advertising a style they don't really teach is fighting an uphill battle. And that is assuming anyone is willing to listen in the first place :/

Well, i think the first thing thatd need to happen is that WC (or insert other system here) would need to have a trademarked (thats the wrong word. intellectual property maybe? i forget what non-material things thatre deemed to be property are called) identity. Like the Nike logo and brandname, itd need to be identifiable by its contents (nike cant use a different logo for each of its outlets, or a different brandname, though the range can have a different name). Next, youd be forcing the organisation to change its name and/or logo to adhere to regulation, since even though he may be able to have a different 'range', in order to do so hed need to be a part of the governing entity and he would need to be producing that range on behalf of that entity. While youre at it, you get to deem everything with some level of the original brand a knockoff (invent shoe identical to nike shoe, slap a different logo on it, sell it for less in order to sell it at all). Next, thered be forcing all non-affiliated WC outlets to change their names in order to conform to the same standards. Then things get legally messy.

Im not a lawyer. Im just handballing since my one sentence comment has resulted in conversation, and i may as well join in with it.

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well, i think the first thing thatd need to happen is that WC (or insert other system here) would need to have a trademarked (thats the wrong word. intellectual property maybe? i forget what non-material things thatre deemed to be property are called) identity. Like the Nike logo and brandname, itd need to be identifiable by its contents (nike cant use a different logo for each of its outlets, or a different brandname, though the range can have a different name). Next, youd be forcing the organisation to change its name and/or logo to adhere to regulation, since even though he may be able to have a different 'range', in order to do so hed need to be a part of the governing entity and he would need to be producing that range on behalf of that entity. While youre at it, you get to deem everything with some level of the original brand a knockoff (invent shoe identical to nike shoe, slap a different logo on it, sell it for less in order to sell it at all). Next, thered be forcing all non-affiliated WC outlets to change their names in order to conform to the same standards. Then things get legally messy.
Im not a lawyer. Im just handballing since my one sentence comment has resulted in conversation, and i may as well join in with it.

Lol you have a point
Still, I go back to my original point before we get too off topic from the OP. I have little respect for him due to his false advertising. Though nothing can really be done about it obviously.
I still say not all of his stuff is bad. It's just too bad he's dishonest.

Ediaan

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would like to see Master Wong in a challenge against a proper Master, like Emin Boztepe or GM Kernspecht or even my Sifu Kevin Stewart. It's a shame that people like that claim to be legitimate martial artists. No martial art can be truly learned from instructional videos, there needs to be physical interaction and practical demonstrations. What he sows he shall reap...

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Question: What is that choke he uses called? I know the hold, but ive always just called it a headlock.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
-------------------------------------------------------

Another- if this then that-technique oriented demo!!!

Leave it to Joy to sum it up in one short line. That's really the whole point. If you really move like a WC man, applying core concepts (non-WC folks please refer to Mooks post #6, where he covered this very nicely) then you A. don't expose yourself like this, and, B. have a way to recover by sticking to the concepts. WC isn't a collection of moves and countermoves meant to to be memorized. It's an integrated system that produces a way of moving and, IMO, a way of thinking as well.

Oh, and guys, let's get away from the "fraud-busting". Wong can teach whatever he teaches and call it what he wants. There's no trademark or servicemark on the name. And, there are plenty of others teaching stuff that's even farther away from what I understand to be WC. But there's nothing I can do about it, sooo I just let it go...

And, on the bright side he really is entertaining!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In my lineage we use these 5 principles to evaluate the quality of Wing Chun.
Simplicity
Directness
Practicality
Economy of movement
Minimum use of brute strength

In my opinion, this is often the biggest problem in what people are doing, regardless of what system they train: they use a very complex/complicated solution to an encounter that really requires a simple, straight forward solution. People make it complicated, and complicated has a much lower rate of success.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would like to see Master Wong in a challenge against a proper Master, like Emin Boztepe or GM Kernspecht or even my Sifu Kevin Stewart. It's a shame that people like that claim to be legitimate martial artists. No martial art can be truly learned from instructional videos, there needs to be physical interaction and practical demonstrations. What he sows he shall reap...
Disagree with this for two reasons. The first is that im not a fan of one master vs. another, i know some people suggest it to knock out phonies, but that means that in the end only one master could not be a phony, plus how do you know the master hes challenging is legitimate?
Second, IMO what master wong is teaching isn't all that bad. I've watched a few of his videos, and while I would never call it Wing Chun, I would say its decent stuff, and thought was put into the technique, and while YT learning isnt good at all, its better than YT learning from someone who is teaching stuff incorrect for ANY style.

OP
W

Wingsingh

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think Master Wong deserves a little more respect then some have given him on here. Martial Arts are his life and i can tell you he's dam good. What he shows in his videos are one solution. In a real fight how many people can really use 'real Wing Chun?'

Am pretty shocked at all the politics involved in Wing Chun TBH.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a lot of crap being passed off as WC out there. While I don't consider his stuff 'good WC",, it's OK for what it is.
Besides, the dude has a bazillion videos on youtube...they can't all be Wong.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Master Wong deserves a little more respect then some have given him on here. Martial Arts are his life and i can tell you he's dam good. What he shows in his videos are one solution. In a real fight how many people can really use 'real Wing Chun?'

If you cannot use the MARTIAL art you're studying in a real fight, then your understanding of the principles of that art are, I would say, severely lacking. I would expect our yellow belts to be able to apply what they've been taught in a real fight. I'd expect much more of our black belts. And of a Master...

The ability (or in-) of an individual to apply what the principles of their art has nothing whatsoever to do with politics.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
...Am pretty shocked at all the politics involved in Wing Chun TBH.

Get used to it, and don't let it bother you. The politics of Wing Chun are really over the top. And people are generally nicer here than on the other forums. Really. Surf around the web and see for yourself. I can't even repeat what some folks say about my old sifu. It would look like this ************* **** ****!!! LOL. So, if you like Master Wong, that's fine by me. Youtube would be a lot more boring without him. And if you ever get to train with him, please tell us what its like.

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Don't get me wrong. I lack respect for his advertisement and find him slightly unethical. That being said, some of his advice is rather good. And some of the techniques shown seem effective. I give credit where credit is due. But just feel he could be a little more open and honest where his advertising is concerned.

chinaboxer

Green Belt
Reaction score
i think wong is funny and clever. he knows the shapes of wing chun, but what i don't see is his "siu nim tau", i don't see the "little idea" in all his movements. his method of wing chun IMO is wing chun without the understanding of chi sau or structure, it just becomes about how to use the "shapes" of wing chun in applications while relying on your athletic abilities. wing chun done this way is just very poor distancing fighting. also that choke he applies is a complete joke.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
also that choke he applies is a complete joke.

Why is that? Its the only part of the video i wanna know more about. From what light experimenting ive done your body presses into the shoulder while your arm pulls into the side of the neck. Id also like to know what its called.

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Why is that? Its the only part of the video i wanna know more about. From what light experimenting ive done your body presses into the shoulder while your arm pulls into the side of the neck. Id also like to know what its called.

That choke is actually effective. You use the opponent's own anatomy and your own arm to cut off the blood flow to and from the brain. It isn'tabout cutting off the air, that is a common misconception about effective choking techniques. Without air some people can stay concious for minutes. With restricted blood flow, you're out in a matter of seconds.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
That choke is actually effective. You use the opponent's own anatomy and your own arm to cut off the blood flow to and from the brain. It isn'tabout cutting off the air, that is a common misconception about effective choking techniques. Without air some people can stay concious for minutes. With restricted blood flow, you're out in a matter of seconds.

And does it have a name? :drinkbeer Other than being a blood choke.

Latest Discussions