Master Wong's latest Wing Chun video

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
And does it have a name? :drinkbeer Other than being a blood choke.

I'm sure it does have at least one name in at least one of the systems that use it. But I don't know it. I have practiced this choke though. Even been choked out once by it. It's not pleasant. However a name I can't help you with unfortunately.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sure it does have at least one name in at least one of the systems that use it. But I don't know it. I have practiced this choke though. Even been choked out once by it. It's not pleasant. However a name I can't help you with unfortunately.
Similarly, ive learnt it. But the person who showed it to me (thats such a nice way of putting it, isnt it?) just said, and this is an exact quote: "Its like a headlock, but you do it backwards."

So to me its a headlock. But i really wish i knew what it was called.
Oh well :)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Question: What is that choke he uses called? I know the hold, but ive always just called it a headlock.

I've always thought it was just a variant of the RNC, except you don't have it in as far, so you grab the fist of the choking arm to crank it, instead of hooking the hand of your choking arm inside your elbow and bracing your other hand on his head. Check this:

Now check variant number 2 below:

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've always thought it was just a variant of the RNC, except you don't have it in as far, so you grab the fist of the choking arm to crank it, instead of hooking the hand of your choking arm inside your elbow and bracing your other hand on his head. Check this:

Now check variant number 2 below:

Normally id agree, but hes standing to the persons side, not behind them. But, that may be the variation. Its hard to tell.

StormShadow

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Get used to it, and don't let it bother you. The politics of Wing Chun are really over the top. And people are generally nicer here than on the other forums. Really. Surf around the web and see for yourself. I can't even repeat what some folks say about my old sifu. It would look like this ************* **** ****!!! LOL. So, if you like Master Wong, that's fine by me. Youtube would be a lot more boring without him. And if you ever get to train with him, please tell us what its like.

I have to second being shocked with all the politics as well. Even well known sifus are disparaged. This lineage of wing chun is better than this other lineage of wing chun. We have know it all kung fu artist who created the system of wing chun judging everyone on how it should be done. Being new to wing chun, I came in with an open mind, showing everyone respect and will continue to do so. All the bickering is just wasted energy and does nothing to unify wing chun as an excellent combat system.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
He has a whole video about why he personally doesnt use the centerline. He isnt doing Wing Chun, thats already been established. Hes doing his own thing which he made out of Wing Chun.

That's his own perogative, but I agree with some others that if what he is doing isn't Wing Chun, then he should call it something else. To advertise it as Wing Chun and call yourself a Wing Chun master and then not say at all who/where your lineage is and then state that what you are really doing isn't WC at all, just seems a bit odd to me.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score

Pretty basic leg jamming in that video.
Having said that , if your kick is jammed properly there will be no counter kick as shown by Mr Wong in the video .

Because if somebody knows what they are doing your shin will quite likely be splintered from the jam leaving you hard pressed to even stand let alone continue to fire off kicks.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mook, did you notice how the guy in the blue didn't move forward to press the attack after the "jam" kick. Instead he hung back in perfect range for Wong's follow up kicks. Even stranger, Wong also hung back in kicking range like a Thai boxer, but with less power... delivering a series of very un-WC looking snap kicks.

I was taught to view every kick as a step ...not withdrawing back to a chamber, but stepping straight down, often pinning my opponent's foot, and always pressing forward along the center. Not fancy, but it works for me.

Another odd thing. Did anybody notice that attack Wong demonstrates at around :42 - :45? Wong says: "We punch we're here!" and throws a very odd attack ending with a wide, off center, almost looping or "long-fist" looking (?) arm strike with his left. The other guy stops it and it looks to me like Wong is set up to receive a nasty palm strike to the face ...except that his demo partner is being very cooperative. What am I missing here?

Last edited:

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yeah... he's too used to compliant partners who are intimidated and will let him walk all over him.. I'm sure he'd be a handful to deal with it.. but his "WC" isn't very sound at all from what I can see..

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mook, did you notice how the guy in the blue didn't move forward to press the attack after the "jam" kick. Instead he hung back in perfect range for Wong's follow up kicks. Even stranger, Wong also hung back in kicking range like a Thai boxer, but with less power... delivering a series of very un-WC looking snap kicks.

I was taught to view every kick as a step ...not withdrawing back to a chamber, but stepping straight down, often pinning my opponent's foot, and always pressing forward along the center. Not fancy, but it works for me.

Another odd thing. Did anybody notice that attack Wong demonstrates at around :42 - :45? Wong says: "We punch we're here!" and throws a very odd attack ending with a wide, off center, almost looping or "long-fist" looking (?) arm strike with his left. The other guy stops it and it looks to me like Wong is set up to receive a nasty palm strike to the face ...except that his demo partner is being very cooperative. What am I missing here?

To be honest I find his videos extremely confusing , I find it hard to work out who exactly is supposed to be doing the Wing Chun , is it Wong? , his partner? , or is it a bit of both?
If I find it difficult and I know what I'm looking for , then how hard must it be for people who don't have a clue what Wing Chun is supposed to look like.

In my opinion it is a case of a lot of flash and speed with no real substance to it.
As you alluded to in your post , basic Wing Chun tactics like immediately stepping in after kicking or jamming a kick seem to be completely ignored in Wong's system.

In regards to the other thing you picked up where he potentially could have been nailed with a palm strike , that might have something to do with his apparent dislike of using the centerline.

I think it was Cyriacus that mentioned in an earlier post that Wong has a video out where he explains why he doesn't use the centerline.
But as you so well spotted Geezer , we can see that deviation from the centerline can have potentially dire consequences.
If your hands aren't striking on the centerline , then it also follows that you are not guarding your centerline.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it was Cyriacus that mentioned in an earlier post that Wong has a video out where he explains why he doesn't use the centerline.
But as you so well spotted Geezer , we can see that deviation from the centerline can have potentially dire consequences.
If your hands aren't striking on the centerline , then it also follows that you are not guarding your centerline.

For what its worth, his reasoning is unusual. imo, just saying 'attacking someone from outside their field of vision is effective!' makes sense. But deprioritizing it head on in a system that uses strikes which are 'similar' to WC is just weird to me. He has alot of good information, and some of the stuff is good in and of itself, but the way he then proceeds to train it, and what he does with that information is unusual. I can provide examples if that doesnt make sense.

OP
W

Wingsingh

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
MJM, Master Wong's Wing Chun system does use the centerline. I knew this because I've been training in his system for 8 odd months.

Master Wong's got a few videos were he demonstrates the use of the centerline. I'll try to find them and put them up.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score

I think what it shows is that he has a rather shallow understanding of the mechanics behind simultaneous defence and attack using the centerline.
He doesn't appear to have the tools necessary in order to move forward and redirect chain punches and penetrate the opponents defence , so he takes the easier option of shifting 45 degrees to the side.

This is a very valid Wing Chun tactic , and one I often use myself under certain circumstances , eg when I have the time and distance at my disposal.
However it cannot be used all the time , at close range you simply won't have the time to shift to the side , and you will be forced to mix it up and go directly down the middle.

Latest Discussions