Martial arts style v style rant

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is categorically not true. If your argument is that the people coming out of sport arts have more experience against someone else that is a point I would be willing to acknowledge because of experience against an opponent.

But...sports have rules. There are no weapons. It is 1 on 1. And the ground? The ground is typically hard. Not soft. And if you take that sport like MMA out into the street...you might be delivering accurate punches or grappling, but the other guy very easily could be pulling a gun/knife/stick/brick/soup can and delivering strikes. He also may be a hell of a lot tougher and meaner. And he may not fee too bad about kicking you in the crotch or throat punching you.

And I'm primarily a sport martial artist. But I carry a gun.

Now...if you are talking about that art that is all "pressure points" and magic punches (what is it? Systema?)...then I agree lol. But other arts like Kung Fu...are actually surpassingly effective and brutal....if applied correctly. I love watching the Kung Fu guys spar at my gym.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really.

The idea put forward that if you train without rules you will have a better ability to deal with a gun/knife/stick doesn't really work.

Mostly because people dont train without rules.

Partly because guns knives sticks are such an advantage that It may not matter what you train.

And lastly if you are limited to what you can train how real you can train and how much one person is reasonably expected to be handle.

The you should at least get that part right.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It has gone on for decades which style is the best and the answer is depends on what. Kenjutsu without a sword vs BJJ or BJJ vs a kendo match. There is no one style that is effective in dealing with street self defense what makes effective street self defense effective is knowing how things are done on the street and how to react to that type of violence.

I think the big road block in training is the rules or lack of rules in trying to get as close to realism as we can in training.
Obviously we can not critically hurt or kill each other so we have to come to some sort of safe way to train as close as we can,
so for me my guidance standard will be someone who has been in life or death situations.

When you have a gun pressed against your head the feeling you get, the surreal knot in your stomach it is something that can not be duplicated in the dojo or any cage fight. However, being conditioned through the scenario could give you that split second of unconscious decision making to act, When I had a gun placed against my head from someone high on drugs two things stuck in my head, one was keep talking, off the line of fire.

It has nothing to do with styles and really training is only a percent because what will make the difference is the mindset.
Have a safe and happy thanksgiving be thankful for the ones you are with.

Zephyor

Orange Belt
Reaction score
there is no best style, but there is best style for one specific person. The best style for someone is the style that the person will be able to enjoy and commit to

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is no best style, but there is best style for one specific person. The best style for someone is the style that the person will be able to enjoy and commit to
I'll go another step into that and say it's not so much the style that fits the person, as the training environment. There are instructors under whom I don't think I'd have kept my interest in NGA, for instance. And there are instructors under whom I'm fairly sure I'd have more interest in almost any art than under another instructor. And I don't think it's a single fit - one "best" - but a range of fits. Some are better fits for a given individual than others, and if we find something that fits well enough, it quickly becomes a favorite.

Latest Discussions