Martial arts shouldn't take years to learn.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a renaissance of historical "Irish" martial methods

I don't think it's a 'renaissance' with these guys, nor do I think it's historical with them as their regiment dates from the 17th century and it's something they've always done. I doubt it's as finessed as training elsewhere but it's very realistic. They will even use it outside the camp gates because I have only met one other regiment ( The Black Watch) that fights as much as they do, if they run out of people to fight they will fight among themselves. Never though unlike other regiments have I ever been threatened by them though.

A 'cane' in the UK is specifically a bamboo cane, usually used to spank children ( historically) and willing adults, sometimes used as a dandy's walking stick.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think it's a 'renaissance' with these guys, nor do I think it's historical with them as their regiment dates from the 17th century and it's something they've always done. I doubt it's as finessed as training elsewhere but it's very realistic.
I was referring to the status in the U.S. :)

They will even use it outside the camp gates because I have only met one other regiment ( The Black Watch) that fights as much as they do, if they run out of people to fight they will fight among themselves. Never though unlike other regiments have I ever been threatened by them though.
Historic Black Watch documents are an important source for many of my friends studying Scottish martial arts.

A 'cane' in the UK is specifically a bamboo cane, usually used to spank children ( historically) and willing adults, sometimes used as a dandy's walking stick.
Yeah, well, you guys also misuse the term "pants" so what do you know. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Historic Black Watch documents are an important source for many of my friends studying Scottish martial arts.

They aren't a well liked regiment in some places including the 'Irish' parts of the USA because of the Troubles in Northern Ireland. In Scotland they aren't too loved either because they were considered 'traitors' to the Jacobite cause, they also had Campbells who to this day can have problems in some parts of Scotland. They are also known for dirty fighting and no one likes getting in to sort it out.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
now wait just a darn tootin minute.....Pat was Arnold in the TV show "Happy Days"!!! Happy Days is an iconic piece of Americana. (my favorite show as a youngster) without Arnold's where would we be today?
not to mention his appearance in the show "Welcome Back" where he was an inventor who invented musical underwear. Al Pachino or Meryl Streep never invented musical underwear ...now did they?

The thing is Pat Morita was actually a stand up comedian.

According to the NetFlix special on Demura, Fumio Demura was the first choice for the role but Fumio turned it down because he didnt think he could act, so instead did the martial arts parts. Pat and Fumio shared a special botherly bond.
I knew he was Arnold. But he wasn’t exactly Pacino, DeNiro, et al. was my point.

I can’t remember who recommended Morita for the role initially, but either the director was strongly opposed to him and the producer was strongly wanted him, or the other way around due to Morita being a stand up comedian and previously Arnold. That person thought no one would take him seriously in that role. That feeling reportedly changed completely after about a minute into Morita’s audition.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is something that is baffling to non Americans because when we look at you we see Americans, it doesn't occur to us that you might want to be split down into ancestral divisions. We also assume that the culture you have is American because you know.... you are Americans. :) Many people here who have forbears not from UK carry on customs from those countries but their culture is firmly British ( ie they eat fish and chips, curry, (often together with curry sauce on the chips), watch Coronation Street and discuss the weather) so we think it would be the same with you lot.

I'm not entirely sure I agree with your perspective on this, Tez and it's something that I've thought a lot about. In certain parts of the US, we still have strong, active communities of ethnic communities; Irish, Polish, Czech, Italian, Dominican... /Americans. Some cities, like mine for example, have Chinatowns and ours bleeds into Vietnamese, Japanese, Thai and other communal neighborhoods. Younger generations identify more as American, but they still have those ties.

I think that there is also a resurgence of interest from average American mutts like me in understanding some family history that ties us to somewhere or something other than what we know. DNA testing for this purpose is on the rise and there are several TV shows about genealogy. I grew up around ethnic communities in the US and lamented not having a duel identity American and X. Certainly not everyone feels that way, the US is a big place with a lot of people in it and my perspective is probably just as accurate as your generalization, which is to say that neither is quite right as a rule of thumb.

...and for reasons that I can't begin to explain, I've watched more than my share of Corrie. o_O

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I knew he was Arnold. But he wasn’t exactly Pacino, DeNiro, et al. was my point.

I can’t remember who recommended Morita for the role initially, but either the director was strongly opposed to him and the producer was strongly wanted him, or the other way around due to Morita being a stand up comedian and previously Arnold. That person thought no one would take him seriously in that role. That feeling reportedly changed completely after about a minute into Morita’s audition.
yes my post was meant to be tongue in cheek.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure I agree with your perspective on this, Tez and it's something that I've thought a lot about. In certain parts of the US, we still have strong, active communities of ethnic communities; Irish, Polish, Czech, Italian, Dominican... /Americans. Some cities, like mine for example, have Chinatowns and ours bleeds into Vietnamese, Japanese, Thai and other communal neighborhoods. Younger generations identify more as American, but they still have those ties.

I think that there is also a resurgence of interest from average American mutts like me in understanding some family history that ties us to somewhere or something other than what we know. DNA testing for this purpose is on the rise and there are several TV shows about genealogy. I grew up around ethnic communities in the US and lamented not having a duel identity American and X. Certainly not everyone feels that way, the US is a big place with a lot of people in it and my perspective is probably just as accurate as your generalization, which is to say that neither is quite right as a rule of thumb.

...and for reasons that I can't begin to explain, I've watched more than my share of Corrie. o_O
I completely agree on an individual level, but have seen the neighborhoods in Seattle become more homogenous over the last 30 years. Ballard even into the 1990s was a proud Scandinavian community, but has become virtually indistinguishable from any other borough due to the rampant gentrification that is occurring due to MS, Amazon, Google and the rest. It's a shame when you see the Swedish bakeries on 15th NW close and yet another generic business open in its place. Best case is when a neighborhood becomes a shell of itself, such as Fremont, Wallingford, Maple Leaf, Roosevelt and the rest.

South Seattle is next. Beacon Hill, Central District and Georgetown are being "discovered" and within 10 or 15 years, any vestige of the Seattle I knew as a kid will be gone and it may as well be Bellevue-lite at that point.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a shame when you see the Swedish bakeries on 15th NW close and yet another generic business open in its place.
Yeah, the loss of culinary cultural heritage is a shame. Fortunately you can still get Powdermilk Biscuits, made from whole wheat raised by Norwegian bachelor farmers, so you know they're not only good for you, they're pure, mostly.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yeah, the loss of culinary cultural heritage is a shame. Fortunately you can still get Powdermilk Biscuits, made from whole wheat raised by Norwegian bachelor farmers, so you know they're not only good for you, they're pure, mostly.
What I do like is the explosion of indian food that we've enjoyed around here. While my Viking roots are disappearing (or at least, I need to take the ferry over to Poulsbo), the curry and jalfreezi are awesome. We also have a ton of great Pho restaurants around now, too.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You may not agree but you have to understand the perspective is from a non American's point of view. If you are a country it's hard not to see people there as belonging to that country, not as some sort of dual citizens.
Communities sharing common interests often do keep up customs but the culture would be that of the country they were born and grew up in.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I looked them up, they're scones. :rolleyes: We make a lot of them over here.
Biscuits are what you call 'cookies'.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You may not agree but you have to understand the perspective is from a non American's point of view. If you are a country it's hard not to see people there as belonging to that country, not as some sort of dual citizens.
Communities sharing common interests often do keep up customs but the culture would be that of the country they were born and grew up in.

This is all perspective, yours, mine, and we are looking through different lenses and seeing similar, but not exactly the same things.

I don't think it's about duel citizenship. But it is about ethnic tradition, cultural, linguistic, and otherwise. There are very homogeneous parts of the US and other parts that are very diverse. I get that what we put out is how we look to the rest of the world. I'm not always proud of that and certainly not lately. Fortunately my experiences don't frequently match that image.

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score

"...Powdermilk Biscuits, made from whole wheat raised by Norwegian bachelor farmers..." :hilarious::bawling: . Now THAT's a very unique name for scones! :p

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

"...Powdermilk Biscuits, made from whole wheat raised by Norwegian bachelor farmers..." :hilarious::bawling: . Now THAT's a very unique name for scones! :p

For the non-Americans and the non-NPR listeners, I was making a reference to the (fictitious) sponsor of A Prairie Home Companion.

"Heavens they're tasty, and expeditious. Give shy persons the strength they need to get up and do what needs to be done. Made from whole wheat raised by Norwegian bachelor farmers, so you know they're not only good for you, they're pure, mostly. Get 'em in the bright blue box with a picture of a biscuit on the front, or ready-made in the brown bag with the dark stains that indicate freshness"

Has your family tried them? (Powdermilk!)
Has your
family tried them? (Powdermilk!)
Well, if your family's tried 'em,
then you know you've satisfied 'em
They're a
real hot item: Powdermilk!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
0:38 in says it all...

Had a chance to train with Fumio Demura many years ago. He was the only reason I drove the distance (about 100 miles) I had to for the seminar he was at. He was showing some application s that involved a punch/block/grab that ended with throwing the guy to the floor. I was training Taijiquan and a bit of Bagua and Xingyi then and my approach was to automatically relax when grabbed. There were a lot of seminars that day and everyone was having trouble applying their technique to me and I apologized multiple times, but I could not help it. I eventually gave up on most of the seminars due to my inability to tense up when grabbed.

But I went there for the Fumio Demura seminar so I did not avoid that one. And everyone there, that was my partner, was having the same issue with me. Then finally one of the students asked Demura Sensei what the problem was. He had me throw the punch at him and he threw me on the floor with no problem at all. Relaxed or tense, made no difference to him.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the non-Americans and the non-NPR listeners, I was making a reference to the (fictitious) sponsor of A Prairie Home Companion.

"Heavens they're tasty, and expeditious. Give shy persons the strength they need to get up and do what needs to be done. Made from whole wheat raised by Norwegian bachelor farmers, so you know they're not only good for you, they're pure, mostly. Get 'em in the bright blue box with a picture of a biscuit on the front, or ready-made in the brown bag with the dark stains that indicate freshness"

Has your
They're a

Powdermilk Biscuits

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've seen thread drift, but from how long it takes to learn martial arts (Black belts guaranteed in a month, two weeks if you double the fee) to how to bake biscuits?

And you didn't ask, but I like my doughy.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've seen thread drift, but from how long it takes to learn martial arts (Black belts guaranteed in a month, two weeks if you double the fee) to how to bake biscuits?

And you didn't ask, but I like my doughy.

How bout we tie it all in....

My son has trained for 8 years and received his youth blackbelt in 7 years (officially he is still a 9th kyu though) and his Sensei is good friends with Demura who a couple years ago gave my son an Autographed copy of his Book on the Sai and although we like Powdermilk Biscuits we prefer Homemade Sweet Potato Bisquits more.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Has your
They're a
I miss Garrison on that show.

Latest Discussions