Martial arts shouldn't take years to learn.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course you don't ride lions. That's what giraffes are for.

That's ostriches. My grandfather grew up on an ostrich farm in South Africa, they used to ride them. The farms went out of business at the decline in wearing ostrich feathers in hats and fans.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's ostriches. My grandfather grew up on an ostrich farm in South Africa, they used to ride them. The farms went out of business at the decline in wearing ostrich feathers in hats and fans.
Nah, you stand on the ostrich if you don't have a stepladder to put the bridle on your giraffe.

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok well, people like Kevin Richardson will playfully ride his lions by climbing on top of them & cuddling them, but that's about as far as "lion-riding" goes. :D

My father's friend has a lion farm where you can walk the lions, but everything happens strictly on farms. :shamefullyembarrased:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread was doomed to begin with. Ill-conceived at best. The de-rail(s) has been the better part of it by a fair margin.

They quite often are, it's because we communicate properly and get to know each other better. In turn that means when we discuss actual martial arts we see each other as being more friendly, more 'human' rather than just a user name who disagrees. It's why it's worth letting some threads, such as this one, run with the off topic bits. The tone of the thread has changed to something similar to a conversation you'd find friends having in a pub or café, if it gets back on track it should stay that way. If not at least people would have had a smile from the off topic bits.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually it does, dairy that is.

You can't drink clotted cream, you can spread it though.

Whipped cream is different, clotted cream is much denser and very delicious. More like butter than cheesecake.

I thought somebody would have brought up veggie mate by now. :eek: :D

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For self-defense purposes, it's important to realize that you aren't training to defeat the average out-of-shape couch potato who has never been in a fight. Those guys aren't so likely to be attacking you on the street. Being able to beat half the population doesn't mean much when half the population can't fight. If you have to defend yourself, it's more likely that you're dealing with a young guy who has too much testosterone and a history of violence.

I'm not sure that's true?, but of course we have no data at all to go on. From my observations of the fights i got into and a lot more I've seen, then its not at all in common to see unfit uncoordinated people fighting each other, and occasionally me. I think you can build a super bogey man who might attack you, when its far more likely to be some less than able bozo who is having a bad day

you just have to cut the % by being the best you can and then take what comes

i had a run in a couple of weeks back some guy who was far bigger than me in dispute over who had right of way ( me), who was confident that his,size would intimidate me, when it dawned on him that i wasn't at all opposed to fighting him, he left quickly, unless he trains harder than me, that seems unlikely as he was three stone over weight, then I'm almost certainly fitter and stronger than he was

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Vegemite is a yeast product. This thread is about dairy products.

Don't take us off-topic, man.
Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder.
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover…

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder.
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover…
Exactly what goes through my head every time I hear the word vegemite.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure that's true?, but of course we have no data at all to go on. From my observations of the fights i got into and a lot more I've seen, then its not at all in common to see unfit uncoordinated people fighting each other, and occasionally me. I think you can build a super bogey man who might attack you, when its far more likely to be some less than able bozo who is having a bad day

you just have to cut the % by being the best you can and then take what comes

i had a run in a couple of weeks back some guy who was far bigger than me in dispute over who had right of way ( me), who was confident that his,size would intimidate me, when it dawned on him that i wasn't at all opposed to fighting him, he left quickly, unless he trains harder than me, that seems unlikely as he was three stone over weight, then I'm almost certainly fitter and stronger than he was

Usually alcohol is involved. It can make skinny guys think they are Arnie, unfit guys think they are MMA pros and is more often than not the reason behind fights, actually it's behind a great deal of violence and criminal behaviour.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Yeah, but those are typically the fights you can walk away from. I've never had a situation where an un-fit, un-coordinated, non-fighter challenged me and I wasn't able to avoid any sort of physical confrontation. Actual predators tend to be a bit tougher on average.

Latest Discussions