Martial arts shouldn't take years to learn.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the US, it's almost always (in my experience) just called "clotted cream" (as the linked article indicated), so some variation of that might be the standard in SA, too.

Knowing the Brits (and Americans) there's probably some difference between Cornish cream and Devon (Devonish??) cream of which we in America are largely unaware.

Not 'Devonish'! it's Devonshire.

Devon clotted cream is less yellow because there's less carotene in the grass in Devon. Cornish clotted cream is a holder of the EU's Protection of Designated Origin. In the USA clotted cream is designated as a butter by all accounts (?).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not 'Devonish'! it's Devonshire.

Devon clotted cream is less yellow because there's less carotene in the grass in Devon. Cornish clotted cream is a holder of the EU's Protection of Designated Origin. In the USA clotted cream is designated as a butter by all accounts (?).
I don't know what it's designated as here - I just know I have to buy it in quite small jars, because I will eat however much is in the jar once I open it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen thread drift, but from how long it takes to learn martial arts (Black belts guaranteed in a month, two weeks if you double the fee) to how to bake biscuits?

And you didn't ask, but I like my doughy.

How bout we tie it all in....

My son has trained for 8 years and received his youth blackbelt in 7 years (officially he is still a 9th kyu though) and his Sensei is good friends with Demura who a couple years ago gave my son an Autographed copy of his Book on the Sai and although we like Powdermilk Biscuits we prefer Homemade Sweet Potato Bisquits more.

I don't know what it's designated as here - I just know I have to buy it in quite small jars, because I will eat however much is in the jar once I open it.

And to make sure we stay on track...Clotted cream probably goes quite well on Sweet Potato Biscuits, too.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it this? Cream & Cheese

Noticed they also had this Candy (Chocolate Bar & Boxes) Galaxy chocolate. nom nom!
This - from World Market.

iipsrv.fcgi

The Double Devon Cream Butter in your link sounds intriguing.

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
In the US, it's almost always (in my experience) just called "clotted cream" (as the linked article indicated), so some variation of that might be the standard in SA, too.

Knowing the Brits (and Americans) there's probably some difference between Cornish cream and Devon (Devonish??) cream of which we in America are largely unaware.

Clotted cream sounds very familiar... In the pictures it looks almost like the colour of Buttermilk. I know a lot of people drink it here, it's very high in calcium. :happy:

Have you ever been to SA? :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This - from World Market.

iipsrv.fcgi

The Double Devon Cream Butter in your link sounds intriguing.

Ah that's very nice but it's not clotted cream, it's double cream nor is it from Devon but Somerset the next country over!

Clotted cream has a thick crust on the top and is very thick, spreadable in fact.

This is the Devon one, below is the Cornish one.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah that's very nice but it's not clotted cream, it's double cream nor is it from Devon but Somerset the next country over!

Clotted cream has a thick crust on the top and is very thick, spreadable in fact.

That stuff is spreadable (far too thick to pour - somewhat thicker than Greek style yogurt), though has no crust on it. How is the flavor/texture different?

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have not. I've worked with some folks from SA, and heard a bit from them. I know very little about it.

That's awesome! :)

As long as you're not under the impression that we ride Lions, & that all of the wild animals roam free in our streets... :hilarious:

I highly doubt that, since you're a very knowledgeable individual. Some Americans actually imagined South Africa to be like that... Someone shared the story with us after their visit in the States. :D

We know a bunch of Americans as well through the Mormon church.

Tarrycat

Green Belt
Reaction score

It resembles baked cheesecake a little... :bored:. Do you prefer it to normal whipped cream? :happy:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look. It doesn't take years to become an expert on diary products.

Actually it does, dairy that is.

Clotted cream sounds very familiar... In the pictures it looks almost like the colour of Buttermilk. I know a lot of people drink it here, it's very high in calcium. :happy:

Have you ever been to SA? :D

You can't drink clotted cream, you can spread it though.

It resembles baked cheesecake a little... :bored:. Do you prefer it to normal whipped cream? :happy:

Whipped cream is different, clotted cream is much denser and very delicious. More like butter than cheesecake.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is also a psychology to all this. Some people do not need a martial art to be effective on the street or in a ring. Plus as someone previously stated there is a difference between proficiency and mastery.

Have a great day!
effective fighting, is a relatively straight forward process, it takes a good bit of fitness and some skills, i have decided that ma can complicate things to the point that you have to many options and not enough practise in any of them to be effective.in the short term, we spent last night doing techniques that i will never ever use. You had you oppoinent in an arm bar and you put them on your shoulder like a sack of coal and then transferred into a head twist. Eeerrrr.

if i have my opoinent in a arm bar, I'm either breaking his arm or kicking his knee out, or kneeing him the face.. The instructor made it look good, i made it look like,a,drunken barn dance and started doing something else , which partner to start complain( again)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's awesome! :)

As long as you're not under the impression that we ride Lions, & that all of the wild animals roam free in our streets... :hilarious:

I highly doubt that, since you're a very knowledgeable individual. Some Americans actually imagined South Africa to be like that... Someone shared the story with us after their visit in the States. :D

We know a bunch of Americans as well through the Mormon church.
Of course you don't ride lions. That's what giraffes are for.

Latest Discussions