MARPPIO 2-day seminar in Kansas

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Mark,

Looking forward to more of your review.

Andrew,

I want to hear your review as well. How many people attended? What was you favorite part of the event? Congratulations on putting it on. I'm looking forward to meeting you when you are out my way.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

OP
Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wow! I don’t know what to say. 35 people were banging away in this small city. We even have instructors coming in from other states just to see what MARPPIO had to offer. Drs. Presas and Matias rocked Topeka!

Mark, the instructors leading the warm-ups were Guro Sheryl Baber Evans and Guro Ric Velando. The power striking was led by MARPPIO senior practitioner Pol Duran. Master Pol was great. Thank you for the compliments on my dirty bastard MA techniques. I think my first session was better, as I was starting to get tired from late night training sessions with the Filipinos (2-3am).

No offense is taken Mark, feedback is good! It was my fault that Dr. Presas’s disarms and counters being too complicated at the Topeka seminar. A handful of my students and me saw him in Davenport last month, where he covered easier versions of the material plus we always work a lot of those in class. I told Remy Jr. to take it up a notch or two and the good Doctor brought it on. I admit some of those variations were new but my students did well for the obvious reason stated above.

Also, I told Dr. Presas that sixth degree and fifth degree instructors from Kombatan might be coming. This may have increased his intensity to share the art. Unfortunately, they didn’t make it, which is unfortunate because they would have seen the family resemblance in more ways than one. I believe they are doing a big presentation in St. Louis at the World’s Fair this week and I can relate to focusing on that.

BTW, Dr. Presas said no politics would have been discussed just a sharing of the art.

OP
Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
A detailed review would be much appreciated! I still have yet to see many of my Modern Arnis brethren, MARPPIO being one of them, so I must live vicariously though others. :) :asian:

Paul,

You should have driven down here. The barbeque and blues is good. Maybe I'll make it up to your neck of the woods. Either way, you're one of my MA brethren that I hope to meet.

With respect,
Andrew

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Andrew Evans said:
Paul,

You should have driven down here. The barbeque and blues is good. Maybe I'll make it up to your neck of the woods. Either way, you're one of my MA brethren that I hope to meet.

With respect,
Andrew

Thanks you sir! I am sure we'll meet soon. If you are in Michigan, or have any plans to come up, I'll make sure you'll have someplace to crash!

We'll talk soon!

:asian:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
Thanks you sir! I am sure we'll meet soon. If you are in Michigan, or have any plans to come up, I'll make sure you'll have someplace to crash!

We'll talk soon!

Even if it is my Place :)

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Even if it is my Place :)

:rofl:

That's my M.O. .... I invite people to stay over, then they end up at Rich's because he has the bigger place and he doesn't have the stressed out fiancee' at home! Mwoahahaha! :wink1:

Seriously, between the many generous people around like Rich, there is almost always somewhere to crash, even if it is on my day bed with the cats.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I got a few minutes before dinner.

Dr. Matias ended the double baston instruction with us doing line drills with one person disarming and the others in the line feeding one after the other. We did this twice with the first time disarming with the punyo or the stick shaft off of the force to force blocking and then the second time with us using a combination of the force to force blocking and the crossada or the cross defense.

Dr. Matias then taught some empty hand vs. stick disarms off of the forehand and the backhand feeds. Again the instruction here was real good as he was demonstrating the proper form for the disarm and really breaking down the mechanics of the technique. And then we ended this session with a Bull in the Ring type drill with the person standing in the center disarming as the people on the outside fed (with a soft stick) a forehand or a backhand to him.

Dr. Matias also covered empty hand to empty hand techniques off of the crossada block. One series of techniques moving to the outside of the attackers body, and one series moving in front of the attackers body.

Andrew finshed the day with a segment on dirty MA techniques. I told Andrew later how impressed I was with his instruction, he put them together well and demonstrated effectively. He was humorous and he did a good job. On a side note I met Andrew 4 years ago at the Houston Summer Camp when he didn't have much of a clue about arnis. So to see him up there teaching and doing a good job at it I thought was great.

Day Two
Andrew's wife got us warmed up with some stretching excercises and then Andrew led us with the 12 angles of attack, and then he and another instructor taught on supported blocking and proper feet and body placement for blocking.

Dr. Remy then started off the morning on having us do unsupported blocking and the checking of the weapon or weapon hand with the alive or "active hand". Then we started with the feeding back the weapon (the punyo) after the block and check, then added the checking of the punyo and then the clearing of that check.

From here Dr. Remy moved into some of the techniques and such that we did the day before. Basically these were variations of (what I've heard referd to as) "The Big Wheel" the clearing motion of the checking hand with the punyo. Again he inserted various chokes, counters and traps. we worked these techniques off of angles 1-5. Correction here some of the techniques came off of what I heard called the "Big Wheel", not all of them as it was on angle 3 defense that my notes reference the technique.

After lunch Dr. Matias once again taught but this time it was on the knife. He explained the different grips, reverse, sabre, paulasut (knife held with the edge facing the forearm, used for hooking) as well as what not to do or as Hock calls it the "Cancer grip". he also talked about proper technique for slashing with the blade etc. etc.

Then he had us work on defending with the knife off of angles 1,2,5, and 12. And the various ways of blocking/cutting the arm that is feeding. He had us combine the techniques into a flow drill as well. He also showed some techniques off of a #1 feed like cutting to the face, or cut the arm slash across the stomach and cut the thigh. Or cut and pass and disarm.

Then we did empty hand against the knife, off of angles 1 and 2 and finished some empty hand vs empty hand techniques that tied in with the knife defenses. Sorry we didn't finish yet with the knife my notes read. :)

He then taught on the crossada motion with the knife and it's application as well as empty hand vs. knife defense using the crossada motion.

Dr. matias then covered the concept of the "covering slash" (I might have the name wrong I couldn't hear the name clearly :idunno: ) which is where A feeds in sabre grip and the defender has the knife in reverse grip and slashes the forearm. And last he covered paulasut or the hooking motion.

Then he covered two self defense techniques for when someone has a knife to your throat, or at your belly.

Dr. Remy then finished the seminar with traditional arnis; teaching on the Wing block (the Professor's tape #7), the crossada block, Palis palis, banda banda, Umbrella etc. etc. I could go into more of a description here but dinners ready and I have to take my son to youth group at church.

All in all it was a great seminar.

Mark Lynn
:boing2:

OP
Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The Boar Man said:
Andrew finshed the day with a segment on dirty MA techniques. I told Andrew later how impressed I was with his instruction, he put them together well and demonstrated effectively. He was humorous and he did a good job. On a side note I met Andrew 4 years ago at the Houston Summer Camp when he didn't have much of a clue about arnis. So to see him up there teaching and doing a good job at it I thought was great.

Thanks for the kinds words Mark! I was very impressed with your presentation at the recent Hock camp in Independence, Missouri. You took me back to 2000 and I was finally able to understand what I didn't get back then.

At that Houston camp, my main art was still Chinese Kempo (Kajukenbo-based). The escrima I learned from it was minimal. I got hooked on Modern Arnis by a visiting practitioner who was a blackbelt with all of the big three (Dillman, Jay, and Presas). Although he only stayed for 1-2 weeks, I learned some basics from him and eventually from GM Remy's videos. Since 1999, I taught basics to my Chinese Kempo class. Of course, nowadays I teach a lot more Modern Arnis.

I decided to meet GM Remy himself the following year. The Houston camp was an advance camp that focused on tapi-tapi. It was overwhelming! I felt like an ornate box turtle crossing I-70.

Despite my frustration, I stayed with it. Maybe it was my opportunity to engage in stickfighting with padded sticks where my fencing experience of 8 years, at that time, allowed me to do well. Datu Tim Hartman was impressed and mentioned that I should get involved with a stickfighting league he was starting. Lisa McManus provided some personal training. She also sent me some correspondence and encouragement afterwards. Of course, there was also something magical with the late GM Remy Presas. Something beyond belief... I have no doubt that he was one of the greatest martial artists who ever lived.

It has been great sticking with the art and Mark, your words made it even better.

Salamat Po!
Andrew

OP
Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Oops! I forgot a couple of things.

To my buddies in Michigan, thanks for the invite. I'll eventually take you up on it. Of course, you are also welcomed in the Land of Oz.

The technique Mark mentioned is actually called covering flash. I think it's called that way because the knife held in a reverse grip is partially hidden by the live hand's forearm (cover) prior to doing a slice and check (flash).

Andrew

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew

I thought that's what they were calling it, but I thought I was miss understanding the term. Kinda like GM Remy not using a P sound and instead a F sound, "you Foke him like this". Thanks for the clarification.

Mark

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Evans said:
Of course, there was also something magical with the late GM Remy Presas. Something beyond belief... I have no doubt that he was one of the greatest martial artists who ever lived.

Amen!!!
Andrew, alot of peole will agree with this statement!!!

Best regards and congratulations on sucessfully spreading the Professor's art in Kansas,

Palusut

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Evans said:
No offense is taken Mark, feedback is good! It was my fault that Dr. Presas’s disarms and counters being too complicated at the Topeka seminar. A handful of my students and me saw him in Davenport last month, where he covered easier versions of the material plus we always work a lot of those in class. I told Remy Jr. to take it up a notch or two and the good Doctor brought it on. I admit some of those variations were new but my students did well for the obvious reason stated above.

Also, I told Dr. Presas that sixth degree and fifth degree instructors from Kombatan might be coming. This may have increased his intensity to share the art. Unfortunately, they didn’t make it, which is unfortunate because they would have seen the family resemblance in more ways than one. I believe they are doing a big presentation in St. Louis at the World’s Fair this week and I can relate to focusing on that.

Andrew

I thought that the disarms and counters to disarms was the weakest part of the seminar due to the techniques themselves (or maybe it was how they were presented). Some of the techniques and counters were very good, although some seemed to complex to really pull it off. Some of the techniques I noticed bypassed a lock to instead try and get another one a few moves later on. This is why I thought this material was the weakest part of the seminar. When Dr. Remy demonstrated some of these techniques to Michael and I, I noticed these things. Some other things that I noticed where that at times the other person could have countered (it appeared) due to them letting go of the other person's hand.

The Professor had the skill to pull these techniques off in flow and at speed, however to me they seemed to be more advanced and would take a certain degree of greater skill to actually pull them off.

Now why I referenced Dan's teaching on counters was because it was very basic, but yet deep in application. The counters Dr. Remy showed were more complex and still pretty deep in application. And both of the instructors were showing counters off of the same angles of attack. Just different approaches.

Dr. Remy as he stated is the "new kid on the block" in regards to teaching seminars, so maybe he didn't present the technique just right or as smoothly as he did the other material. Maybe I'm just unfamliar with the counters taught in this manner and I'm being overly critical.

Botom line is does MARRIPO have some good stuff to give to the MA community as a whole? And do they have good qualified instructors to pass this material on? I give them two THUMBS UP on this end. Heck yah. I believe they have a lot to offer the MA community. Would I pay my hard earned money to see them again? When are you bringing them back, I'll be there. (If I get a kitchen pass) :uhyeah:

This seminar had different material than the others I have attended for MA, both camps and others seminars. I've seen a lot of the major players in the MA world here in the states, SM Dan, Datu Dieter, the MoTTs, Jeff D., Dr. Schea, Datu Hartman, and now MARRIPO as well as meeting a whole lot of other instructors at the camps as well. It was good to see a different view point on the same / similar techniques, or a different feel to them. It was good to see an older version of the art than when I started in it in 95.

One last point. Dr. Remy was a great teacher in that he personally came by to encourage my son in ways that I as his father can't. He would watch us and he came over many times to check my son out and show him attention and explain things to us. His take on things helped clarify several things for me on terminology and techniques and such. Not being from the host school or even in with the organization we could have easily been left out of the loop (so to speak), but you and all of the instructors made sure we had a great time. And I'm thankful for that.

Mark

OP
Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Palusut. I'm glad you at doing your part in NC. Do you know Lyndon Johnson by any chance? If so, say hi for me. I enjoyed him helping me out with tapi-tapi last month. The next time I see him, I'll show him a couple of other versions that Dr. Matias showed me.

Thanks again Mark. That's the first time I saw Dr. Presas show anything like that. I remember him telling me in private that he actually had more experience in academic seminars than in Modern Arnis seminars. As someone with a couple of college degrees, I know what he means. :)

I also want him to come back. I asked him to commit to a time in 6 months but I have a feeling I might have to wait my turn which will be next year. :waah:

Andrew

OP
Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I received a private message requesting that I continue my Modern Arnis story. Here goes... (no disrespect is intended)

After the camp, the folks who owned the dojo I was using were not interested in bringing anyone out and at that time my wife was more interested in studying Brazillian Jujitsu. I didn't want to do it alone without extra support.

I continued teaching MA basics to my Chinese Kempo/Kajukenbo class. During that time, I also watched Datu Kelly Worden's material. His knife material was state of the art. Heck, it still is. I also like the way he blended his Renegade JKD with Modern Arnis. In a way, I was doing some of that with my Kajukenbo background.

Every now and then I thought about attending another one of GM Remy Presas's camp but didn't. After seeing the infighting (no disrespect intended), I dumped any idea I had about joining any Modern Arnis organization. However, the bug kept biting me and I first found out about MARPPIO a year and a half ago. MARPPIO was having a camp in nearby (7 hours drive) Davenport, Iowa.

Anyway, I never heard of Dr. Remy Presas Jr. and did some checking. I tried calling folks that I met at the 2000 camp (nobody that I mentioned on this thread) and never got a straight answer. I was still hesitatant about MARPPIO so I called Datu Kelly. We had lots of things in common so I felt comfortable and we talked for a while. He convinced me that I should give the MARPPIO camp a try. I'm still happy with that decision. I appreciate Dr. Presas's attention to details, good chambers, nice lines, etc.

That's my story. I think the important thing is to keep the late GM Remy Presas's art alive. No matter how or who you are with. I'm just trying my best.

Andrew

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Andrew

How about showing me the versions of Tapi that Dr. Matias showed you as well. Were they right on right, or left on right?

Mark

Pappy Geo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Mark,

You are correct when you suggest that releasing the stick and go to empty hand will counter a disarm or lock. This works well when you have the sensitivity to realize a lock is about to happen.

However if you were to purchase MARRPIO'S video number nine on stick locks and disarms and counters plus counters to counters you will see DR Remy and Sr. Master Rodell drilling at full speed making these techniques work. Watch SM Rodell's face and tell me he doesn't feel the lock!

This Video along with several others was shot in the Philippines with the roots of Modern Arnis Senior Masters only about a year ago. You may believe the techniques are "Romancing the Stone", true until you have mastered the techniques until they become instinctive. Once mastered they will come not necessarily in the order presented at the seminars and videos but in response to the energy and your sensitivity to what ever strike your opponent is attacking.

Also remember much of the disarms and counters are applicable to other weapons whether it be empty hand, knife, machete and so on.

These tapes are available online at http://www.modernarnis.com/ at a reasonable price.

Modern Arnis is not necessarily old or new versions, but applicable to what works best for you and integrating it into your present art or as the Professor used to say "the art within your art". We all will apply aspects of the art differently.

Andrew and his wife visited us last night at the NSI gym in Tacoma, WA and I personally trained with him. He is a great guy and we sure enjoyed having him and his family join us.

We are have our third annual Tacoma MARRPIO camp in a week and half and we are all looking forward to a great time. Tito Willy is flying in again and we love it when he and Remy turn it on.

Tito Geo

OP
Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The Boar Man said:
Hey Andrew

How about showing me the versions of Tapi that Dr. Matias showed you as well. Were they right on right, or left on right?

Mark
Mark,

Drs. Matias and Remy Presas Jr. are very good at sharing. I'm sure they'll have no problem will me showing you. So far, I learned three left on right that transition into three more that are right on right.

Andrew

OP
Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Pappy Geo said:
Andrew and his wife visited us last night at the NSI gym in Tacoma, WA and I personally trained with him. He is a great guy and we sure enjoyed having him and his family join us.

Tito Geo,

Thanks for the compliment. It's always great to train with the talented folks at Natural Spirit International. Datu Kelly Worden's students are an excellent reflection of his skills. You folks rock!

IMHO, GM Remy Presas's first students are the best. This especially includes his son Remy Presas Jr., Dr. Willie Matias and Datu Kelly. At the Tacoma MARPPIO camp, folks will get a chance to see these 3 and more. Then they can judge for themselves. (I'm sure most of you will agree with my opinion.)

Hope to see you again soon,
Andrew

Pappy Geo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Evans said:
Tito Geo,

Thanks for the compliment. It's always great to train with the talented folks at Natural Spirit International. Datu Kelly Worden's students are an excellent reflection of his skills. You folks rock!

Hey Andrew,

It was all my pleasure, I am just sorry that with my shoulder post op recovery, I wasn't able to get down and dirty with you but I hope bringing Radio Bob as subsitute Uki after each demostration worked OK for you.

You are a quick study and had no problem adapting to the concepts! You are welcome to come back anytime!

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Pappy Geo said:
Mark,

1) You are correct when you suggest that releasing the stick and go to empty hand will counter a disarm or lock. This works well when you have the sensitivity to realize a lock is about to happen.

2)However if you were to purchase MARRPIO'S video number nine on stick locks and disarms and counters plus counters to counters you will see DR Remy and Sr. Master Rodell drilling at full speed making these techniques work. Watch SM Rodell's face and tell me he doesn't feel the lock!

This Video along with several others was shot in the Philippines with the roots of Modern Arnis Senior Masters only about a year ago. You may believe the techniques are "Romancing the Stone", true until you have mastered the techniques until they become instinctive. Once mastered they will come not necessarily in the order presented at the seminars and videos but in response to the energy and your sensitivity to what ever strike your opponent is attacking.

3)Also remember much of the disarms and counters are applicable to other weapons whether it be empty hand, knife, machete and so on.

These tapes are available online at http://www.modernarnis.com/ at a reasonable price.

4)Modern Arnis is not necessarily old or new versions, but applicable to what works best for you and integrating it into your present art or as the Professor used to say "the art within your art". We all will apply aspects of the art differently.

5)Andrew and his wife visited us last night at the NSI gym in Tacoma, WA and I personally trained with him. He is a great guy and we sure enjoyed having him and his family join us.

6)We are have our third annual Tacoma MARRPIO camp in a week and half and we are all looking forward to a great time. Tito Willy is flying in again and we love it when he and Remy turn it on.

Tito Geo

Pappy Geo
I added numbers to your post so I could address them.

Thanks for your response to my post.

1) I agree that letting go of the stick and countering takes a high degree of skill. And that with the proper instruction and training that a person could pull it off.

In my post I said letting go of the hand. What I meant about letting go of the hand I meant the feeder's stick hand. In other words I noticed that it appeared that for some of the techniques (locks using the stick butt or the shaft trapping the wrist/ hand of the defender to the attacker's stick hand) that the person could have released their hand from the person's wrist. We are trained generally to hold on to the wrist (even when we could release it) allowing the person to demonstrate the tehnique. Which is OK. However I was just stating that this area I thought was the weakest area that he deomonstrated. For this and other reasons.

2) I talked to Dr. Remy about this and was going to purchase the video, however I decided to wait and see what my finances would be like the second day with getting a hotel, rental car, and paying for meals for my son and I. Sadly the video was sold the first day. I had planned on purchasing it hopefully the next time I see Dr. Remy. Thanks very much though for the information about the video contents it sounds like something I will definently add to my collection.

"Romancing the Stone" (?) I'm sorry if I implied I felt it was this way. It wasn't my intent.

3) I totally agree here. In fact just this past class with my student we were doing the double baston disarms and we inserted the barong instead of one of the sticks to apply the disarms. Along with the striking techniques prior to the disarms. It really opened my students eyes to the "It's all the same" concept.

4) Old or new versions. I can agree with you here in a sense, I understand that it's still Modern Anris. However in my post I was stating the fact that I have seen several different Modern Anris instructors people from the 90's (where I came in), from the 80's, and now 2 instructors that trained with him way back 70's and before. I have also seen instructors who reside in different parts of the country and people abroad. I have made it a goal of mine to get out of my box and train or learn from several different people to try and see how other people practice the "Professor's" art, in in order to try and get a wider view. In this context I was trying to make a point for all of those people out there who haven't yet seen any instructors from MARRIPO but wondered what they had to offer that it was a good seminar and that the material was different and good from what I have seen in the past. it wasn't the same old same old.

I was not trying to knock anyone here, old vs. new. New is not better, I say it is different. (And this could also be the presenters as well :uhyeah: )

5) Andrew is a great guy and a good seminar host. I look forward to the next time I see him and his wife.

6) Have fun. One of these days I'd like to make it up there. Maybe next year.

Bottom line I tried to give an honest review of the seminar, in hopes that someone who was wanting to check out MARRIPO could read my posts and they might say "Hey that sounds cool I might check it out."

Mark Lynn

Latest Discussions