MARPPIO 2-day seminar in Kansas

OP
Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Evans said:
IMHO, GM Remy Presas's first students are the best.

Someone privately criticized me for that statement. I didn't mean to offend, so let me explain…

When GM Remy Presas first came to the U.S., Modern Arnis was not as popular as it would later became. During those times, his first students had more time with him. I heard stories of him living in the same house with his students for months and training with them during every available moment. A couple of his first students told me how he drilled them over and over in the basics.

When GM Remy got popular, he was at a different location almost weekly. I don't see him being able to spend as much intense training time as he use to. His excellent ability to teach was spread out. Also when you look at the head start in time (decades) that the first students had, it's almost a no-brainer that the first students would have an advantage.

I personally notice a difference in the way basics are executed between the first students and later groups. I admit that I am doing some of my comparisions based on my memory but I also watch videotapes and notice differences. (In one video, I could swear a person was trying to swing a stick on his tiptoes.)

I apologize if I appear biased but if I am able to, I will make the effort to check out more of the students.

Last but not least, maybe saying "best" is the wrong word but there is a difference.

Respectfully,

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Evans said:
I personally notice a difference in the way basics are executed between the first students and later groups. I admit that I am doing some of my comparisions based on my memory but I also watch videotapes and notice differences. (In one video, I could swear a person was trying to swing a stick on his tiptoes.)

I apologize if I appear biased but if I am able to, I will make the effort to check out more of the students.

Last but not least, maybe saying "best" is the wrong word but there is a difference.

Respectfully,

Andrew

I agree with you here, I think there is a difference (most of the time).

Mark

Latest Discussions