MARPPIO 2-day seminar in Kansas

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
JUNE 5th-6th
MARPPIO MODERN ARNIS 2-DAY SEMINAR

2-day event with Dr. Remy Presas and other MARPPIO instructors in Topeka, Kansas. See http://hokkien.uuft.org/kansas2004.doc for information and registration or contact Andrew Evans at 785-213-1576.

In the evenings after training, I’ll probably show folks what good midwestern barbeque tastes like. Maybe we'll also check out some real Kansas City blues. The Heartland will never be the same!

OP
Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Cost of Seminar: The cost is $130 for 2 days. If you preregister, see www.TopekaKarate.com , before April 30th, it's only $110.

Travel: I love road trips, especially in the Midwest where highways are not as congested as in other areas of the country. However, someone coming all the way from one of the coasts should fly into KCI. Kansas City International is only 60-70 miles from here. I can try to arrange for someone to pick you up.

Lodging: The Midwest Travel Buddy, see http://mwtravelbuddy.com/kansas.htm , has specials as low as $35 for 1-2 people in 1 bed and $45 for 2-4 people in 2 beds.
The American Travel Services Guide, see http://atsicoupons.com/coupons.asp?City=Topeka&Submit=GO!&State=KS , and U.S. Travel Guide Coupons, see http://www.roomsaver.com/coupon_search.php?state=KS , also has great deals.

Topeka has lots of choices in food and lodging. (Okay, we'll lacking in great ethnic food but the barbeque is great, as farms and meat packing plants are located throughout the state.)

OP
Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I recently spoke with Dr. Remy Presas Jr. and got to thinking how much he reminds me of a younger Professor Presas. Their voices and mannerisms are so similar. Oh wow!

Looking forward to June. -Andrew

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew

It was good seeing you again at Hock's event. I talked to my wife and my son and he and I are planning on coming up for the seminar with Dr. Presas.

Do you know anything about what he might be covering, what topics etc. etc. so that I could maybe introduce my son to the ideas of the drills, techniques etc. etc. so he won't be totally lost. In the past what I taught him was more of GM Ernesto's Kombatan double stick material but we have started working on GM Remy's solo baston drills (I figured that it was a safe bet that he might cover something with the solo baston). Anything else though would be appreciated.

What are the times of the seminars, I need to plan the travel arrangements, hopefully I won't have to leave early like I had to at Hock's. Did you have a good time working with Julius at the seminar.

Hey my son is looking fwd to meeting and maybe working with your son.

Mark

OP
Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mark,

It was also good to see you. I look forward to seeing you again in a couple of weeks.

Please see www.TopekaKarate.com for the flyer. I believe it says 10am-3pm. However, Remy Jr. is a lot like his father and doesn't know when to stop training. Chances are, we'll go past 3pm and probably end ending around 5pm.

I recommend coming early so that you and your son can also visit Topeka's National Historic Brown v. Board site while you are in town. At the grand opening earlier this month, we had many dignitaries in attendance. See http://www.nps.gov/brvb

Andrew

OP
Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Oops, still too early in the morning for this night owl.

To answer your question, I believe a lot of disarms and counters to the disarms will be covered.

The seminar will probably start off with some good classical Arnis and then go forward from there. There will be enough for everyone- beginner and advanced alike.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew

How far is it from the KC Airport to Topeka? Our flight should get in a little after 8:00am that Saturday morning. How long will it take to get from there to the seminar site? Rough guesstimate.

Right now I'm planning on leaving around 7:00pm on Sunday, if the seminar runs late I still should be able to make that time I think.

Mark

OP
Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It's exactly 1 hour and 15-minutes on the weekends. (Normally rush hour traffic would slow you down.)

PM me your cell phone number. That way I can guide you in cause you get lost. Mine is on my business card that I gave you at Hock's camp and on my website.

Anyway, take I-435 south for about 18-20 miles. Then get on the I-70 turnpike heading west ($1.85 toll) for about 48-50 miles and get off of the Adams exit, number 363. Turn left at the stop sign. At the first light, which is 15th street, turn right. When it splits within 50 yards, take the left choice, which is 17th street. Go past Kansas Ave and Topeka Blvd, then the next light should be Washburn Ave. Turn south (left) on Washburn. You'll be seeing the university to your right around this time.

Keep going past a couple of entrances and you'll see an electronic billboard off of Washburn. That's the parking lot of the Petro building. Park on the south side of the lot. Inside the building, the dance studio is on the south-east corner of the bottom floor.

Take care,
Andrew

Pappy Geo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Time is almost here, looking forward to a report on the MARPPIO seminar.

Dr. Remy and Dr. Tito Willy are so energetic and so willing to share the Art. They have techniques that come straight out of the mother country, the Phillipines and it is like, Oh Wow!

Enjoy!

Tito Geo

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew

Thanks for the info. Hey how many of the instructors besides Dr. Remy are going to be there. Is Dr. Tito Willy going to be there? Actually I'm looking fwd to seeing some different, talented, skilled etc. etc. instructors in MA. This should be cool.

If you know who the insturctors are that will be presenting/teaching the seminar besides Dr. Remy could you post them. I think on the flyer it just said other senior instructors or something.

Mark

OP
Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi Mark,

The extraordinary totally awesome Dr. Willie Matias will be there. I'm on my way to church so I'll write more later.

Gotta Go!
Andrew

OP
Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Whew! That was a long church service. Actually, it was a busy weekend. If I was in a church than long, the roof would fall in and lighting would strike. Either that or I'll fall asleep. LOL.

Anyway, in addition to myself, Guro Sheryl Baber Evans will be presenting/leading a session and so will the Master of Classical Arnis- Guro Ric Velando from Davenport, Iowa. Unfortunately, Guro Gary Schroeder, one of the best grapplers with a stick or otherwise, will be in Hawaii (poor guy, it’s too bad he’s going to miss the utopia of Kansas).

A couple of other MARPPIO folks from out-of-state are arriving, but I don’t think they will be teaching. (I have a feeling that really just came out for the world famous KC barbeque.)

I invited a couple of big dogs from the Northwest but Datu Kelly Worden couldn’t make it this time around due to a previous commitment and Tito Geo Hoover is still recovering from shoulder surgery. (They'll eventually make their way down here in the near future.)

Either way, it is still going to be a memorable seminar. Can't wait till Friday when Dr. Presas flys in.

Regards,
Andrew

kaliace

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Evans,

You keep talking about the BBQ there in Topeka. I have had some seriously good BBQ on the other side of the border in Kansas City, so there is some pressure for when I get out there. Ha, ha!

I am looking forward to getting out there on Friday.

Respectfully,

Michael G Olive

www.rattanclub.com

OP
Andrew Evans

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Guro Olive, you won't be disappointed with the barbeque or the Modern Arnis.

By the way, for those of you who haven't met Mike Olive, he's a great seminar host. He even provided GM Tortal with a flag flown over the Missouri State Capitol. See http://rattanclub.com

I often wish there were more guys like him in the martial arts. Better yet, I wish I had more guys like him in my school.

Andrew

kaliace

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wow,

I am humbled by your kind words. I try to do the best I can.

What is great about my time in the Kali Arts is that I have met so many great people like Mr. Evans. Meeting such kind and generous people is a blessing.

Thank you again for all your support, I look forward to training with you tomorrow.

Michael G Olive

www.rattanclub.com

kaliace

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Greetings,

I would like to take this time to thank Mr. Evans for putting together a great seminar. I would also like to that Dr. Presas for sharing his family’s art with all of us. It was a great time.

Respectfully,

Michael G Olive

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A detailed review would be much appreciated! I still have yet to see many of my Modern Arnis brethren, MARPPIO being one of them, so I must live vicariously though others. :) :asian:

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Paul I told Andrew I would post a review on MT about the seminar so in the few minutes before I have to go to work here goes.

First off thanks to Andrew Evans, his wife, and the other people of his school that helped put on his first seminar with MARRIPO, for making it a pleasent experience for those of us who atteneded. This was especially appreciated by me coming out from of state/town to see Dr. Presas and the other instructors from MARRIPO. Andrew was a great host, and a good instructor by the way as he taught I think two short segments.

1st day
We started with wam ups lead by someone (we there just as it was ending) and then one of the MARRIPO instructors (I don't know the instructors names since I'm not familar with the organization no disrespect intended) lead us through a solo baston power striking drill. Then Dr. Presas taught.

He covered first solo baston disarming. He taught in a very clear manner explaining the techniques pretty well (a good sign of this was that my 12 year old son was able to follow along with very limited pre seminar training with his dad) covering variations of the first 5 angles of attack disarming techniqes. Included with this were various counters to the disarms. New and different material for me.

No offense meant here but this was the weakest part of the seminar for me. While the disarms were taught very well and the counters were new and diffinently looked like his farther's material. I thought they were a little to complex in this setting. It made me appreciate Dan Anderson's instruction on countering disarms at the SYMPOSIUM even more.

Dr. Presas during this time as part of the counters showed some choking techniques and off balancing moves (hooking the alive hand with the punyos, pulling to your hip and then entering in with the choke(s)) that were very good and this gave me again clearer insight into MA.

Dr. Willie Matias then taught on Double baston disarms. This was a very good session. I knew most of the material through GM Ernesto, but it was the first time I've seen this material taught at a MA seminar. Anyway even though I was familiar with the root technique(s) the execution was slightly different. Again watching Dr. Matias doing the disarms made me think of GM Remy tapes only executed with good form (like pictured in his books). He showed a variety of disarms from both forehand and backhand feeds with (what I call) force to force blocking then also with the crossada defense. Dr. Matias is a very good instructor again my son was able to follow along (although he was more familiar with this material than anything else at the seminar).

Time for work. I'll post more later but I teach tonight so it might be tommrow.

Mark

Latest Discussions