MA school website

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think part of it is your American given name. If your name was Ming Wang or Hai Wang or something like that, it might be different.
People call me Kung Fu Wang because I train Kung Fu.

In Chinese, you may call someone

- Soy Sauce Yang because his last name is Yang, and he sells soy sauce.
- Poker Liu because his last name is Liu, and he likes to play poker.

This way, you don't have to remember someone's first name but his last name, and his job (or his favor hobby).

In other words, the 1st name is not important.

I used to have a student, his first name is Light and his wife's first name is Flower. The best first names that anyone can pick.

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

This way, you don't have to remember someone's first name but his last name, and his job (or his favor hobby).

I used to have a student, his first name is Light and his wife's first name is Flower. The best first names that anyone can pick.

I meant in regards to your website. Also the fact that your middle name starts with S, makes it look like the possessive (i.e. "John's" instead of "John S.").

It's just an unfortunate set of circumstances to give your website a very suggestive name.

Then again, I've participated in the Lee Martial Arts Open (LMAO) in the World Taekwondo Federation (WTF), so I can't really judge. Both have since changed their names to the Lee Martial Arts Championship and World Taekwondo, I wonder if it's to avoid those unfortunate acronyms.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I think the point is the url johnswang.com sounds much more naughty than mingwang.com @skribs i'll have to disagree about haiwang.com. Sound it out.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I meant in regards to your website. Also the fact that your middle name starts with S, makes it look like the possessive (i.e. "John's" instead of "John S.").

It's just an unfortunate set of circumstances to give your website a very suggestive name.

Then again, I've participated in the Lee Martial Arts Open (LMAO) in the World Taekwondo Federation (WTF), so I can't really judge. Both have since changed their names to the Lee Martial Arts Championship and World Taekwondo, I wonder if it's to avoid those unfortunate acronyms.
I think the WTF have outright stated that's why they changed their name.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the WTF have outright stated that's why they changed their name.

I had one of my students, an 8-year-old girl, come up to me after class and say "did you know 'WTF' means a bad word?" I'm guessing she read the logo on my shirt.

Her Mom hadn't noticed the logo, and thought it was just a random fact she was giving me, and was very embarrassed.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had one of my students, an 8-year-old girl, come up to me after class and say "did you know 'WTF' means a bad word?" I'm guessing she read the logo on my shirt.

Her Mom hadn't noticed the logo, and thought it was just a random fact she was giving me, and was very embarrassed.
Well whenever I watch TKD in the Olympics I'm always thinking to myself WTF.

(JOKE lol sorry couldn't resist )

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think part of it is your American given name. If your name was Ming Wang or Hai Wang or something like that, it might be different.
My saint's name is Mark. In high school, my friends always made fun of me and called me "German Mark". When I came to US, I had chance to choice my English name. Since I remember a song "Dear John". I picked my first name as John.

When I was a student in UT Austin, one time I waited in the Gregory gym to pick up my student ID. When someone announced my name, a lot of people stood up and looked around. People thought John Wayne became a UT student (John Wayne was still alived during 1972).

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well whenever I watch TKD in the Olympics I'm always thinking to myself WTF.

(JOKE lol sorry couldn't resist )
I still remember hearing it for the first time at a tournament in late 1985. I busted out laughing and got some very hard looks. Good times.

Latest Discussions