Lost my instructor today...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found out this morning that my instructor (I've trained with him for over 20 years) died this weekend in a scuba diving incident. Words can't express how devastated I am. I've had the unenviable job of phoning round and telling all the other students as the family got in touch with me and it's broken my heart with every person I've had to tell.

A very hard and sad day...

RIP Master Carl Lees, there's a lot of people in the UK who will never forget you!

Sorry for your loss.

shima

K3NPO
Reaction score
So sorry to hear this :( The worst is when they don't die from natural causes :( My thoughts go out out to you and everyone who knew him.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Found out this morning that my instructor (I've trained with him for over 20 years) died this weekend in a scuba diving incident. Words can't express how devastated I am. I've had the unenviable job of phoning round and telling all the other students as the family got in touch with me and it's broken my heart with every person I've had to tell.

RIP Master Carl Lees, there's a lot of people in the UK who will never forget you!

Sir: My sincere condolences and prayers, with hope that you will find strength to carry the heavy burden of keeping alive, the flame that your teacher lit.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, yet, he lives on, in a way. His teaching touched your life - and you touch others for the better and will continue to do so I am sure. The chain continues not in spite of today's pain but perhaps because of it. Be there for his family and for your own. We are given reminders how important relationships are and how we should fear their end and so more enjoy each moment we are given. RIP Master Carl Lees and God Bless

Warmest Regards Andy
Brian King

P.S. Tears cleanse the soul, do not keep them inside but rather share them with your family and loved ones.

Bri

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our condolences to his family and students.
As a diver and EMS geek, can I ask if you know what happened?

The only details I know at the moment are from his brother's phone call. They are still waiting for the police report (as there has to be a full investigation for non-obvious deaths). Neither he nor I are divers, so some of this may be inaccurate/incomplete - but it's the best I know...

He was diving 30m (he'd previously done 50-60m dives, but this was a new association/club he'd joined and he needed to re-certify at 30m with this group). They were just finishing up and getting ready to go back to the surface and he indicated either breathing troubles or a medical emergency by some hand signal. On the way up he then lost consciousness and upon reaching the surface attempts were made to revive him. The ambulance arrived and also tried but were unable to revive.

He was always telling us about how Taekwondo helped his breath control when diving and he would normally outlast other divers under water due to better breathing control and oxygen usage. I would guess this isn't just a "ran out of air in the tank" because I would have thought that would be a different hand signal and his pair diver would have shared their tank?

If I ever hear more details (to me, it's fairly irrelevant now, he's gone and that's the only fact that matters to me now) I'll let you know. I assume at the funeral there will be some of his dive buddies, so I guess they'll know more and may volunteer it.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
P.S. Tears cleanse the soul, do not keep them inside but rather share them with your family and loved ones.

I felt like the parent for most of yesterday. Telling all the metaphorical children (adult students) and being strong for them. Being strong didn't last all day and I'm OK with that. Got a hard week coming up this week (I have to tell his actual children students and then I'd imagine we'll have the funeral).

Thanks again everyone for your wishes.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It pains me to hear this Master Jeffries, very sorry for you all.

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Sorry to hear about your loss and your schools loss. I know how it feels. Lost my instructor who was more then in Instructor to me, almost like a second father to me back in 2006 due to Cancer. Hang in there. And if your next in line for the school make him proud and continue to build and grow the school.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm very sorry for your loss. I lost my GM and friend a little over two years ago. It is not a good feeling. Only great loss. I understand your distress. Know you are in my prayers, as well as other MT well wishers. Take strength from that.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very sorry for your loss :(

May his memory live in your heart and continue to inspire all who knew him.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks again everyone for your support and wishes.

@Moderators - you can feel free to move this thread to the Hall of Remembrance if you like, I only just came across it otherwise I would have done so.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thread moved per OP's request.

Ana Pérez

White Belt
Reaction score
Dear Andy,
I am so sorry about it. My condolences to all of you.
I am devastated, too, as I met Carl at work 9 years ago and I considered him my mentor as an engineer... I've been working with him for 6 years on a nearly daily basis and shared lots of things in common apart from work, like martial arts (I do karate). I remember him always telling me to bring my kimono in my suitcase and go to one of his classes.
You said there's a lot of people in the UK who will never forget him... I can tell you there's a lot of people in other parts of the world that will miss him, too. For example, here in Spain. There is not a day that I don't remember him...
I wonder if there's a video or photo of him in one of his taekwondo classes, so I could at least see him practicing...
Regards!!

Latest Discussions