Lost my instructor today...

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Belated condolences. I can't imagine. My instructor is so close to me even after all these years we are still the very best of friends. I'll be praying for you and yours.

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Condolences for all who are touched by this untimely loss.

Gone from this World; but not from the hearts of those he touched with his heart and his art!

:asian:

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ana Pérez;1500632 said:
Dear Andy,
I am so sorry about it. My condolences to all of you.

Thank you Ana, we appreciate it.

Ana Pérez;1500632 said:
I am devastated, too, as I met Carl at work 9 years ago and I considered him my mentor as an engineer... I've been working with him for 6 years on a nearly daily basis and shared lots of things in common apart from work, like martial arts (I do karate). I remember him always telling me to bring my kimono in my suitcase and go to one of his classes.

It's a shame you didn't get the chance, but the offer is still there - if you come back to Stevenage, you're welcome to pop down and meet others that knew him.

Ana Pérez;1500632 said:
You said there's a lot of people in the UK who will never forget him... I can tell you there's a lot of people in other parts of the world that will miss him, too. For example, here in Spain. There is not a day that I don't remember him...

I know how you feel.

Ana Pérez;1500632 said:
I wonder if there's a video or photo of him in one of his taekwondo classes, so I could at least see him practicing...

The funny thing is, this only came to light after his death. We as a club have no pictures or videos of him (recently) training. I have him really grainy and tiny in the background of some pictures, but never a nice shot of him.

I did upload a video snippet I had from the 80s of GM KIM Yong Ho and Carl is in the group being taught (along with my original instructor GM PAN Sim Woon). He looks MUCH younger.

He's at 1:47 being demonstrated on by GM Kim (you can tell from his hairstyle and if you knew him well, the particular way he dips his head when he does a twin upset punch - he wasn't doing that recently, but it's a particular error that I always remember him doing).

At 2:54 he's next to the guy (nearer the camera) being demonstrated on, seemingly having some hip problems during side kicks.

Last edited by a moderator:

dazleeds1

White Belt
Reaction score
Found out this morning that my instructor (I've trained with him for over 20 years) died this weekend in a scuba diving incident. Words can't express how devastated I am. I've had the unenviable job of phoning round and telling all the other students as the family got in touch with me and it's broken my heart with every person I've had to tell.

A very hard and sad day...

RIP Master Carl Lees, there's a lot of people in the UK who will never forget you!

Hi,

I have registered just to pay a tribute in memory of Carl. I found myself thinking of Carl and his father Peter when the Olympic Taekwondo tournament started. Years ago I was introduced to the sport by Peter on a 10 week night school course, and continued to train under Peter and then Carl in Coningsby in Lincolnshire. I always thought one day I may see Carl coaching a contender in the Olympics, hence my research on google. I can't begin to explain how shocked and truly saddened I am by reading this news. There are people throughout your life who have a lasting impression upon you. Carl is one such person. My condolences to Carl's family, friends and Stevenage club.

Regards
Darren

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So sorry to hear about your loss Andy. My good friend and school head suddenly passed away 2 years ago, and I had to break the news with 2 other black belts to a room full of children. Hardest thing I've ever had to do. Prayers for you and your club.

Latest Discussions