Looking To Get Started

OP
J

JMulford

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo private lesson is in the books. I really enjoyed myself. It was just a half-hour private session but being that it's basically a sample, I really took a lot away from it.

The guy asked what I wanted to learn(self-defense, kicks/punches, etc) and I just said the basics that will get me set for class. He had a great demeanor and was easy to work with. It definitely got me excited about moving forward, so he did his job.

OP
J

JMulford

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I had my second MT class tonight. The first one was almost a week ago. Needed a little recovery time.

Did a pretty strenuous warm-up and then started a combo drill. Stuck with that combo as the base for the night but extended it with more punches/kicks as the night went on. By the end, it was a total of 9 punches/kicks involved. Good combo but it did take me some time to get it down. In fact, I stayed after class for a half hour to continue working on it.

Did what I thought was a pretty strenuous "cool down" to finish the night. Sit-ups/push-ups/pull-ups. At some point it will probably be second nature. Right now though? Tough.

On a side note, I did walk away with a nicely bruised foot and an injured left hand. The foot was just the repeated bag kicking and my foot simply isn't used to that yet. No real pain - just bruised.

The hand however, I injured it throwing the left hook. It turns out the bag I started out on tonight is the hardest one in the gym, which was told to me after about my fourth hook. I think the combination of that and probably a bit of poor form since my left is definitely my weaker hand, led to the injury. Hoping it's nothing too serious. I don't think it's broken though because I continued to throw many punches after that and I've also experienced breaks before and it didn't feel anything like that. I think I simply jarred it.

Hopefully you guys enjoy reading this. I know most of you have been doing this stuff for years and I thought you might enjoy the view of the new guy and that it might take you back to when you started. Thanks for the support.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
It turns out the bag I started out on tonight is the hardest one in the gym, which was told to me after about my fourth hook.

I'm sorry but this made me laugh. You punch it four times and then "Oh by the way be careful with that bag it's the hardest one." Hmm maybe you could have told me that before?

As for the bruised foot what sort of kick were you doing? What was the striking surface? If it was that large bone on the top of the foot then that will just take time to get used to. Your knuckles will be black and blue as well from not using gloves but I'll let you in on a cool tip.

Us cool guys never use gloves ;). Your knuckles and fists will get used to and never be bruised again after a while of doing it.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your experience aligns with mine. I often resort to a hot shower, at the very least, after a workout, and I feel better the next day than I do if I skip it. I'll need to look into what's out there about cold immersion (and whether a cold shower has any of the same benefits).
Research says cold showers and cold immersion can help prevent and reduce both DOMS and near term sorness.

Cold-Water Immersion (Cryotherapy) for Preventing and Treating Muscle Soreness After Exercise
Can Water Temperature and Immersion Time Influence the Effect of Cold Water Immersion on Muscle Soreness? A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
J

JMulford

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry but this made me laugh. You punch it four times and then "Oh by the way be careful with that bag it's the hardest one." Hmm maybe you could have told me that before?

As for the bruised foot what sort of kick were you doing? What was the striking surface? If it was that large bone on the top of the foot then that will just take time to get used to. Your knuckles will be black and blue as well from not using gloves but I'll let you in on a cool tip.

Us cool guys never use gloves ;). Your knuckles and fists will get used to and never be bruised again after a while of doing it.

Haha, I would laugh too. The instructor for the night was a few minutes late due to sons baseball game, so someone took over and started us on a drill. One of the students next to me told me after a few shots. I imagine if the instructor was there, I probably would have been warned earlier.

The kicks were mostly roundhouse I believe. It was the top of my foot and I have no doubt that I'll get used to it. As for my wrist/hand, it feels much better tonight and I took a Kenpo class(1-on-1 instruction), so I'm out of the woods there. I thought it was just jammed up, but you never know.

For now I think I'll use gloves until I feel like my technique is good, but then I'll probably move away from them more often than not.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was saying cold showering to aid in recovery from strenuous activity. Most of those articles discuss immunity, depression, etc., but they did mention circulation and brown fat, which is what I was pointing to with immersion. They're not scientific studies, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt and assume they based the articles on actual studies.

They were quite good and bring up great points, and it also makes sense that if immersion in cold water (ice bath) brings about measured physiological responses for recovery, cold showers SHOULD do the same. It would be interesting to see if there's a difference, which one is more effective, and how much. With both being the same temperature, my money's on immersion.

The last article speaks of athletes in ice baths.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was saying cold showering to aid in recovery from strenuous activity. Most of those articles discuss immunity, depression, etc., but they did mention circulation and brown fat, which is what I was pointing to with immersion. They're not scientific studies, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt and assume they based the articles on actual studies.

They were quite good and bring up great points, and it also makes sense that if immersion in cold water (ice bath) brings about measured physiological responses for recovery, cold showers SHOULD do the same. It would be interesting to see if there's a difference, which one is more effective, and how much. With both being the same temperature, my money's on immersion.

The last article speaks of athletes in ice baths.
You're right that readers should use care when using articles. Track their sources.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
J

JMulford

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Officially signed up and paid for classes as of last evening. Thanks for the guidance along the way. Expect more questions down the road.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Officially signed up and paid for classes as of last evening. Thanks for the guidance along the way. Expect more questions down the road.
I look forward to hearing from you along your journey. I kind of envy the start - would love to find the time/money to start a new MA journey.

OP
J

JMulford

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Another class and I banged myself up again. File this under, "I won't do that again!"

Doing front kicks on the big and I caught the top of not one, but both big toes against the bag. It was apparently amateur hour for me. The back of both toenails started bleeding after a few minutes and both toes are pretty swollen now.

The funny thing is that it doesn't bother me too much. I guess you gotta learn to crawl before you can walk. I'm trying to embrace the negative things like this as much as the positive because you have to add them all together at the end to get the final result, so to speak.

I definitely hope to not do that again though, lol. It does hurt.