Looking To Get Started

OP
J

JMulford

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Tired. So tired. Haha.

Fun class. Really enjoyed myself. The warm-up itself kicked my butt. I felt like I did okay in the drills. We focused on mostly punching tonight and I have been a huge boxing fan my whole life, so I have a pretty good understanding of the basics when it comes to punching. Implementing them is obviously the skill I need to learn. I did fairly well I thought.

The stamina though? Yeah, that needs some work.

OP
J

JMulford

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Tired and laughing about it. You sound like one of us.

Haha. Hopefully one day. About all I am right now is a guy who needs to find a tub to soak in. I've got my first Kenpo lesson tomorrow(a 1-on-1) and if my body allows me, I'll also have a kickboxing class later in the evening.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha. Hopefully one day. About all I am right now is a guy who needs to find a tub to soak in. I've got my first Kenpo lesson tomorrow(a 1-on-1) and if my body allows me, I'll also have a kickboxing class later in the evening.
That's a lot of "new" in one week. You're going to need a bigger tub, my friend!

OP
J

JMulford

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That's a lot of "new" in one week. You're going to need a bigger tub, my friend!

Agreed. I'm definitely playing it by ear so to speak as far as what my body can handle. While fairly sore today, I'm not quite as sore as expected. Of course, sometimes the second day is worse so we'll see. I might check out the morning kickboxing class tomorrow instead since that is the one I'll more often be taking those lessons in.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations! If you show up for the first lesson, you'll have surpassed what the majority of people do who are interested in martial arts.

That reminds that guy who for like 8 months kept asking which art he should take, would judge styles based on only youtube videos and in the end never trained in any art at all.

Agreed. I'm definitely playing it by ear so to speak as far as what my body can handle. While fairly sore today, I'm not quite as sore as expected. Of course, sometimes the second day is worse so we'll see. I might check out the morning kickboxing class tomorrow instead since that is the one I'll more often be taking those lessons in.

Which place did you end up going to?

OP
J

JMulford

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Which place did you end up going to?

I ended up going with TAMA. I liked the environment and the options that they offered, both in arts and schedule.

I actually had reached out to one closer to home but after initially responding to me, he didn't respond to my second call. I'm sure considering the amount of people who call and never come in like you guys say, he probably thought I was just another one of those guys but it was enough to me to go with option 1b.

It's about 15 minutes further away but my first impression was very good. The atmosphere is serious about the arts but loose enough to where anyone can fall right in.

The funny thing about my soreness today is that the sorest part of me is my butt from doing a combined 150 sit-up on the wood floor. I'll just say that my sit-up game is not strong yet. :)

Looking forward to the Kenpo instruction tomorrow.

OP
J

JMulford

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, my body has hit a pretty good soreness level two days later. I think I'm going to skip the MT class I wanted to attend today and just do my 1-on-1 Kenpo appointment. Then I'll be able to rest through the weekend and get back at it.

Just like going back to the gym after a long time away and lifting heavy, I assume after a few classes, my body will start to catch up. I see no reason to overdo it early, as many of you have already stated.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, my body has hit a pretty good soreness level two days later. I think I'm going to skip the MT class I wanted to attend today and just do my 1-on-1 Kenpo appointment. Then I'll be able to rest through the weekend and get back at it.

Just like going back to the gym after a long time away and lifting heavy, I assume after a few classes, my body will start to catch up. I see no reason to overdo it early, as many of you have already stated.
Yes, the soreness is pretty much normal early on, in vigorous classes. Remember that light exercise will help ease the soreness more quickly.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Take cold showers or baths immediately after your workouts.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take cold showers or baths immediately after your workouts.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
That's one I'm not familiar with. I'm not sure I care if it helps, either. I REALLY like my warm showers after exercise. :: old man grumble ::

Seriously, though, what's the physiology in that, Kirk?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's one I'm not familiar with. I'm not sure I care if it helps, either. I REALLY like my warm showers after exercise. :: old man grumble ::

It's basically like icing down the sore muscle. Only you're cooling it all down. In fact, ice baths are very popular with modern sports trainers.

On top of that, several studies have found other benefits from what is sometimes referred to as "cold water dousing." This includes an increase in immune response and increases in serotonin and positive benefits to depression and anxiety. Most of it is available off a google but I used to have a list of studies and references.

FWIW, "cold water" ceremonies, and suggestions of health and spiritual benefits exist in most cultures which have access to quantities of cold water. Russians and Scandinavians were known for winter swimming, Greek Hoplite culture was known to encourage winter river swimming, and, of course, there are various references to Zen waterfall rituals.

I'll see if I can find my references somewhere.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

It's like icing a specific spot for an injury, only icing your entire body.

Slows down blood flow, thereby decreasing the inflammatory response. In the sports medicine/athletic training room, athletes typically go into the cold whirlpool (about 45-50 degrees F) for 10-15 minutes after a hard workout. Some people go colder.

I had a guy who'd regularly get the water down to almost 30 degrees and sit in there up to his chin for 8 minutes during preseason soccer. Ever see a Japanese guy turn purple? That guy was out of his mind.

Just to add, recent studies have show cold whirlpool baths to convert white fat into brown fat. Not a night and day difference, but enough to say so. Brown fat is good, white fat is bad.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's like icing a specific spot for an injury, only icing your entire body.

Slows down blood flow, thereby decreasing the inflammatory response. In the sports medicine/athletic training room, athletes typically go into the cold whirlpool (about 45-50 degrees F) for 10-15 minutes after a hard workout. Some people go colder.

I had a guy who'd regularly get the water down to almost 30 degrees and sit in there up to his chin for 8 minutes during preseason soccer. Ever see a Japanese guy turn purple? That guy was out of his mind.

Just to add, recent studies have show cold whirlpool baths to convert white fat into brown fat. Not a night and day difference, but enough to say so. Brown fat is good, white fat is bad.
Great, now you're giving me science that says I should take cold showers/baths. I don't like you any more. :: 5-year-old pout ::

OP
J

JMulford

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Great, now you're giving me science that says I should take cold showers/baths. I don't like you any more. :: 5-year-old pout ::

I'm definitely in your camp when it comes to warm showers/baths but I'll definitely give this a shot and see if it helps and if I can handle it.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I haven't seen any studies about cold showering, so you're off the hook. I'd assume immersion in water would be more consistent to study than showering.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've never been in the cold whirlpool after working out, so I have no personal insight. I used to use the hot tub at the Y after hard workouts. I felt a lot better later on, and especially the next day. The days I didn't have time to do it, I definitely felt like I was dragging the next day. My legs were so much more tired all day.

I've got a plan to work out pretty hard this summer. I'm a school teacher, so I've got the time. Of course that depends on how high maintenance my wife and daughters will be. I'll fill up the bath tub with cold water as a little science experiment. Gotta get a thermometer to make it consistent and all scientifical. Maybe hit up Babies R Us for a fun one :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never been in the cold whirlpool after working out, so I have no personal insight. I used to use the hot tub at the Y after hard workouts. I felt a lot better later on, and especially the next day. The days I didn't have time to do it, I definitely felt like I was dragging the next day. My legs were so much more tired all day.

I've got a plan to work out pretty hard this summer. I'm a school teacher, so I've got the time. Of course that depends on how high maintenance my wife and daughters will be. I'll fill up the bath tub with cold water as a little science experiment. Gotta get a thermometer to make it consistent and all scientifical. Maybe hit up Babies R Us for a fun one :)
Your experience aligns with mine. I often resort to a hot shower, at the very least, after a workout, and I feel better the next day than I do if I skip it. I'll need to look into what's out there about cold immersion (and whether a cold shower has any of the same benefits).

Latest Discussions