Looking To Get Started

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Guys, unique or not. It seems like good training. I honestly would love to check this place out myself but you know, it's too far.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Got delayed a bit due to a hernia surgery, which caused me to miss over a month of work, and obviously didn't allow me to get started with this.

I go in to speak to a guy today. Pretty excited. I do have a question for you guys as I'm looking over what I have chosen.

I fully intend to study two arts. I want diversity, and I want to be able to learn a bit more to be a little more "complete", so to speak.

My question to you guys is that I have narrowed it down to either Kickboxing/BJJ or Kenpo/Kickboxing.

I'm not really looking for opinions on which duo to match up, as I'm sure the overwhelming favorite would be KB/BJJ but I'm curious if it's okay to train Kenpo/Kickboxing together? Or would one training dilute the other since they are both hands/feet arts?

The Kickboxing style is Muay Thai just for clarification.

Also, keep in mind that my schedule would allow for the below involvement in each art depending on what gets matched.

Kickboxing/BJJ

KB - 3 classes(3 hours) a week
BJJ - 2 classes(4 hours) a week

Kenpo/Kickboxing

Kenpo - 3 classes(4 hours) a week
KB - 2-3 classes(2-3 hours) a week

Any input is appreciated. Looking forward to finally starting this journey.
I think you'll get better synergy with the MT/BJJ combination than with KB/Kenpo, but that's just my opinion.

Which school were you considering for MT/BJJ?

OP
J

JMulford

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No it isn't.

There isn't really a such thing as true kenpo. The thing about kenpo is itself began as a hybrid art coming from various Chinese arts and shorin ryu karate along with Judo. Every kenpo dojo I have visited has been a hybrid art that focuses on rapid striking, with a more or less even combination of hands strikes and kicks/knees along with throws/takedowns.

I don't really know the individuals in mentioned but honestly I've never been one to trace lineages and nit pick family trees. This sounds like good Kenpo, because it seems to carry on the tradition of being hybrid.

I say go right now and take a trail lesson

Thanks for the response. I try to word what I say without acting like I know what I'm talking about, because I don't. Your response gave me good insight. Thank you and thanks to everyone else responding.

OP
J

JMulford

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't go to TAMA for BJJ. To the best of my knowledge, Taningco isn't a qualified instructor in BJJ.

He's not the BJJ Trainer. It's a guy named JR Reynolds, who it looks like trains from a Rickson Gracie lineage. I haven't researched him much but it looks as though he may have gotten his black belt from Luiz Palhares, who trained under Rickson mainly, from what I've read at least.

I think Taningco teaches the Muay Thai and Kenpo, but has other instructors that are certified for the other arts.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you'll get better synergy with the MT/BJJ combination than with KB/Kenpo, but that's just my opinion.

Which school were you considering for MT/BJJ?
I'd say that's a reasonable assertion. I don't know what the synergy is between KB and Kempo would be, but we have plenty of evidence that MT and BJJ work well together.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He's not the BJJ Trainer. It's a guy named JR Reynolds, who it looks like trains from a Rickson Gracie lineage. I haven't researched him much but it looks as though he may have gotten his black belt from Luiz Palhares, who trained under Rickson mainly, from what I've read at least.
Okay, I don't know anything about him and can't find much online. Last year he was competing as a purple belt, so he's probably not a black belt at this point unless he's gotten promoted twice since then. (Which is just barely possible - as of February 2016 he was a 4-stripe purple belt, so he could have gotten his brown immediately after that and then gotten his black belt within the last month or so.)

You can find significantly higher level BJJ elsewhere in Dayton, but Reynolds looks like he should be qualified to instruct at least.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I don't know anything about him and can't find much online. Last year he was competing as a purple belt, so he's probably not a black belt at this point unless he's gotten promoted twice since then. (Which is just barely possible - as of February 2016 he was a 4-stripe purple belt, so he could have gotten his brown immediately after that and then gotten his black belt within the last month or so.)

You can find significantly higher level BJJ elsewhere in Dayton, but Reynolds looks like he should be qualified to instruct at least.
Slight swerve, but still somewhat on-topic:

I'd like to get your input on an impression I've developed about BJJ ranks and instruction. From what I've seen (and you'll know better than I), a purple belt is plenty for the beginner to learn under. Probably good enough for the blue belt, too, as long as the instructor's not a brand new purple belt, so he has his brown before the student gets to purple. By purple, though, I think the student gains a lot by training under a black belt.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Slight swerve, but still somewhat on-topic:

I'd like to get your input on an impression I've developed about BJJ ranks and instruction. From what I've seen (and you'll know better than I), a purple belt is plenty for the beginner to learn under. Probably good enough for the blue belt, too, as long as the instructor's not a brand new purple belt, so he has his brown before the student gets to purple. By purple, though, I think the student gains a lot by training under a black belt.
In general, that's correct. There are exception - sometimes you find a purple belt who moves well enough to be promoted but doesn't have the intellectual understanding to explain what they are doing - but in most cases a purple belt should be able to teach a beginners class.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd like to add what Tony said, if I may. Speaking as a grappling hack, but an experienced grappling hack - I have, and will, train under a BJJ purple belt any day. (if he can teach even a little)

OP
J

JMulford

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Gotcha. I think I wrote black belt without thinking about it. From what I've seen in local competitions, his team seems to do okay, for what it's worth. I know Michael Patt and Jorge Gurgel are probably the two highest regarded BJJ guys in the area.

OP
J

JMulford

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Alright, I have officially signed up to start my journey. They offer two free 1-on-1 sessions and a group lesson for the Kenpo, so I set up my first 1-on-1 there for Thursday afternoon.

They offer two free weeks of the other styles, so I will attend the MT class tomorrow night and probably be exhausted afterwards. :)

Looking forward to it. I appreciate all of the responses to my questions through the past few months. Thanks!

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Alright, I have officially signed up to start my journey. They offer two free 1-on-1 sessions and a group lesson for the Kenpo, so I set up my first 1-on-1 there for Thursday afternoon.

They offer two free weeks of the other styles, so I will attend the MT class tomorrow night and probably be exhausted afterwards. :)

Looking forward to it. I appreciate all of the responses to my questions through the past few months. Thanks!
Only one thing left to do...
To tell us how it went:)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Congratulations! If you show up for the first lesson, you'll have surpassed what the majority of people do who are interested in martial arts.

OP
J

JMulford

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Unique?

BTW, I'm in Huber.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Where do you train at, or do you actually teach? Huber is far enough away that I couldn't do that trip every week(or wouldn't want to at least), but once I move along in my training I would love the idea of dropping in here and there when the time and place allows.

I'm a believer in learning every chance you get whether it's martial arts, math, or anything someone is passionate about.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Where do you train at, or do you actually teach? Huber is far enough away that I couldn't do that trip every week(or wouldn't want to at least), but once I move along in my training I would love the idea of dropping in here and there when the time and place allows.

I'm a believer in learning every chance you get whether it's martial arts, math, or anything someone is passionate about.
I teach Judo through Bob Spraley's "Juido" system up in Troy at the Y on Mondays and Wednesday's, and I teach martial arts of Western Civ. (bowie knife, bartitsu, pugilism, tomahawk, irish stick etc.) on Tuesday evenings.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions