Looking to expand the game

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What methods do you use to help your fighters expand there tournament game? I know there is alot that can be done, but I am looking for things that you do inside your school to help them get better competition while training? I have always invited people to bring there students by for a sparring session but lately it is a rut and not being to productive, playing with your own people seem to get very boring after a while as well? I am looking for ways of breaking that rut and re-energize the players.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cross training is the best way. Going to other schools and having other schools visit you. You have to see things from a different perspective and training with other top fighters is the best way.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
various drills. hands only , feet only, hands vs feet. Left or right side forward only open and closed stance position. Only rear side or lead side attacks. Tie one wrist to their belt.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our team struggles with this too. We go to as many local comps as possible leading up to nationals (our tagret goal is to bring as many competitiors as we can to naitonals and do well). However, we do tend to see the same people from the same schools. We're working now with the local state association (PATKD was gutted during the USTU/USAT change over and we're working closely with the current president to get things on track) to get more quality local comps and training opportunities...getting school owners to think more as a team than as indicual schools...easier said than done.

When we can, we invite guest instructors over to do cross training. We're a small school without a lot of money...so we can't get out to the athlete development camps and the like. The head coach and myself do a lot of interent research looking for new training drills and means to motivate our competitors. I don't think that's exactly what you're looking for though.

I guess what I'm saying is that you're certainly not alone and I'll be watching this thread closely myself :)

Peace,
Erik

Latest Discussions