Increasing adult enrollment

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What are some of the aspect your school brings to attract more adults and teenagers? I am looking to add about twenty to thirty within the next couple of months. We teach physical fitness and the SD principle behind TKD but I am looking for something that will set us away from all the other school, something that is beneficial to them and not me per say.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't think there's a real quick fix. You have to stay true to what you are and offer what you are most capable of teaching and promoting. I asked an ATA buddy of mine who owns a school if his Krav Maga or weapons class add-ons were real money producers for him, and he said not really. Makes sense to me...I'd be wary of trying to be a jack-of-all-trades school, since I think it would be quite obvious to an adult if they are getting true value for their money or not.

Just to brainstorm, these are some things that would appeal to me as an adult: fitness, self-defense, social activities, on-site gym equipment & showers. I'm not sure the average adult thinks of MA or taekwondo when they want to work-out in a fun atmosphere. Can that be overcome?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You don't necessarily have to be "different" to reach adults. You just have to show that you can offer what adults are looking for.

Let me think on this and see what ideas I can come up with ;)

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks guys and girls, I am not looking for add ons. I teach traditional and Olympic TKD with some Okinawa Karate mix in. These are the Arts that I know and I teach. I do some weapon but what I know and what I am comfy with.

Frostbite

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think a big draw for adults is the health and fitness aspect of martial arts. I know for my part, that was a big draw, especially considering I started later than a lot of people here.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys and girls, I am not looking for add ons. I teach traditional and Olympic TKD with some Okinawa Karate mix in. These are the Arts that I know and I teach. I do some weapon but what I know and what I am comfy with.

OK. So, that said, I'm not sure you're offering anything that stands out too much from the crowd. No offense intended. With a goal of adding 20-30 adults and teenagers at a single location, you have to really have a 'hot' pitch that will attract people outside of the normal pajamas training set.

If I were to open my own professional studio, I would definitely consider having yoga/pilates and a small on-site gym out of the same location. There's all kinds of oddball marketing you can do to, but for any of those to work, you have to first define what your target audience is and how big your budget is to give your current offering a makeover.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
A guy I work out with almost every morning at the park is a TKD instructor at a school who's main body of students are kids. He's not the main instructor but he's quite frustrated at times having no other adults to work and spar with (ever wonder why he's in the park with a karate student). Much of it I think is a scheduling thing and a marketing thing. You offer TKD as an after school program and people are going to see that sign and think it's for kids. I suggested alternating beginner, and intermediate classes with a beginner class starting at 3:00 when the kids are usually getting there from school, the kids get their class time and then the higher belts can have the 4:00 hour, and so on for the rest of the evening.

Put up a sign outside, stress key words like "Traditional," "Self Defense," "Increased Health/Fitness." Make a clear distinction between beginner classes and intermediate to advanced classes. Offer 1 day SD seminars built upon your TKD. Teach self defense that is quick to absorb for these people but during the class make sure they know that it's just the tip of the iceberg of what's offered in your full system and make mention of the many health benefits.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK. So, that said, I'm not sure you're offering anything that stands out too much from the crowd. No offense intended. With a goal of adding 20-30 adults and teenagers at a single location, you have to really have a 'hot' pitch that will attract people outside of the normal pajamas training set.

If I were to open my own professional studio, I would definitely consider having yoga/pilates and a small on-site gym out of the same location. There's all kinds of oddball marketing you can do to, but for any of those to work, you have to first define what your target audience is and how big your budget is to give your current offering a makeover.

Sorry Stoneheart we do have a gym area to workout with Olympic wieghts and cardio machines. I was considering a yoga class but I need someone to teach it as well any suggestions to wear to get one.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A guy I work out with almost every morning at the park is a TKD instructor at a school who's main body of students are kids. He's not the main instructor but he's quite frustrated at times having no other adults to work and spar with (ever wonder why he's in the park with a karate student). Much of it I think is a scheduling thing and a marketing thing. You offer TKD as an after school program and people are going to see that sign and think it's for kids. I suggested alternating beginer, and intermediate classes with a beginer class starting at 3:00 when the kids are usually getting there from school, the kids get their class time and then the higher belts can have the 4:00 hour, and so on for the rest of the evneing.

I do not run an after school program at the school. We go to the charter schools and teach there instead. This way my school does not look like an after school or daycare.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sorry Stoneheart we do have a gym area to workout with Olympic wieghts and cardio machines. I was considering a yoga class but I need someone to teach it as well any suggestions to wear to get one.

OK. Are the machines utilized? Do you integrate their use into your curriculum? It takes more than just having the machines and weights available for them to be actual assets to your business.

I mentioned this in your other thread, but it would be helpful if you were more explicit on what your goals and plans are. Do you have a written business plan for example? Comparing your current status to a working document will tell you what you are falling short in as well as give you realistic targets to shoot for.

It's hard to give meaningful suggestions on an internet forum without knowing more specifics.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
The posts concerning focus on what appeals to adults is good advice.

The competition aspect would likely attract more males while the self defense aspect would likely attract more females. Not saying you wouldn't get cross-overs, but I would think that should be your focus based on what you've posted as far as your strengths.

Do you have an ad budget? If so, focus on those points for at least 3 months as you advertise.

Networking is a great way to get your name out there also. Are you member of your local Chamber of Commerce? Do you have any connections with local charities or busniesses?

Years ago I managed to get involved with the local cable company, the YMCA, and the Oxygen network to attract more females. We did a "Fight Like a Girl" seminar that had a great turn out...over 100 ladies showed up if I remember correctly and we signed 3 new female students. However, it got a lot of media attention (free advertising) from the newspaper and local broadcast as well and we even got some male student's out of the exposure as well.

For the guys, you can focus on "getting them off the couch" and into a program that provides both competition and an avenue for fitness.

Just some suggestions. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm with crippler..focus less on new programs and more on getting the word out to your target audience about what you can offer. Find ways to make what you do attractive to adults and you'll get more of them.

that being said, at the school I train at...we suffer from low adult attendace as well. However, the owner periodically does a family trains free month. Any parent, sibling, etc of a currently training student can train for free for a month. That often brings in a whole cadre of adults (parents who are apprehensive about trianing but interested after watching their kids)...many stay for quite awhile.

Mind you, this only targets people who are already in the door. Advertising will be what brings in new blood. (so to speak)

Peace,
Erik

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm with crippler..focus less on new programs and more on getting the word out to your target audience about what you can offer. Find ways to make what you do attractive to adults and you'll get more of them.

that being said, at the school I train at...we suffer from low adult attendace as well. However, the owner periodically does a family trains free month. Any parent, sibling, etc of a currently training student can train for free for a month. That often brings in a whole cadre of adults (parents who are apprehensive about trianing but interested after watching their kids)...many stay for quite awhile.

Mind you, this only targets people who are already in the door. Advertising will be what brings in new blood. (so to speak)

Peace,
Erik

You could do a text campaign where people can text "TKD" to 55555 to receive free family training when they sign up at least one of their kids.

Frostbite

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'd also suggest putting out some high quality demo videos on YouTube. I know that when I've been looking at schools, it's helped me narrow the field a bit by just being able to hop on YouTube and see what they're all about. If you combine this with marketing on Craig's List, you can have a pretty cheap form of advertising that will reach a lot of people.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
What are some of the aspect your school brings to attract more adults and teenagers? I am looking to add about twenty to thirty within the next couple of months. We teach physical fitness and the SD principle behind TKD but I am looking for something that will set us away from all the other school, something that is beneficial to them and not me per say.

Been 41 and no more a competition kid I think you should focus in the old korean karate, I mean, for adults only focus in exercise and well sound self defense techs and.... the tkd technikes, not only the tournament ones but the basics.

Adults tend not to go to tournaments because lack of free time, adults want exercise to keep in good or regular shape and true and sound self defense techs.

Manny

DBZ

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Something that helped out are school was getting are adult students to go out and "be seen" when parents were there that way they saw that there are adults in the school. That way people dont think its omly for kids. We also have an adult only class. Thats my 2 cents, I have been off the forum for a bit. had to do some training(Army)and we could not have laptops.

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't do TKD...and this may not be the kind of answer you had in mind but..

Speaking as an adult MA student, a HUGE perk to belonging to my school is that they have a great kids' room off to the side. It has a tv and dvd system, a small table and chairs, and a box of toys and kids games. It is closed off and has its own door and a window so the kids can look out and watch if they want. Believe you me, when I did karate before a barrier to my going to class was often "who's going to watch the kids if I go to class?" the kids' room solves that problem neatly. I think if more MA schools had something like this, more adults would come to class and renew their yearly contracts. Without the kids' room I would miss half my workouts during the summertime.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i've got it: teach your class at a strip club. guaranteed adult enrollment.

jf

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a pretty good ratio of adults in my classes I think and I believe its because adulst want adults type training. Yes, you can cover the same stuff you do in a kids class, but in an adult way:
- Patterns over and over until you sweat like a pig
- sparring rounds til you puke
- Serious fitness work (again, til they are exhausted)
- pad work - hard hitting, not technique based stuff you may do with kids (though that as well)
- Traditional sparring for the higher grades
- Serious, Self defence drills.. done in a serious way ie. lots of tapping out, techniques tha hurt (but not too badly) + of course the more dangerous techniques, applied ina safe manner

Adults can handle pressure.. give it to them.. they'll love you for it - honest!

Stuart

Ps. And dont mix kids and adults - you can get away with teens, but not kids in an adult class if you want serious commitment and training

Latest Discussions