Back to training

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well seems another year has gone by and with that being said, what is it you all do right after a lost at a National event? Back to training the basics, or is it working on ring management? Maybe it is watching alot of matches from the event to help the players? I know doe me it is time to sit them down and go over why we did not stay to the game plan and what was it that took you away from it. I also want them to understand it is not the end of the world and there is always another chance next year.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Use it as a positive and look at everything. As the saying goes, we learn more from our failures than we do from our success.

You are right: it is not the end of the world. Youth sports often touts character building as one of the benefits of competative sports, and when losses are viewed as opportunities to learn and improve rather than as transgressions, then that character building is truly there.

In addition, those whom you coach are doubly blessed to have you as their coach, Terry.

Daniel

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
For our team, Nationals mark the end of our "season." No more comp team practice until September when a new season starts up. We have3 a big barbeque gettogether over the summer.

The head coach and myself get together and start planning out for next season what kinds of adjustments we'll make to what we do for next season. We also start scouting for new comp team members from the general school population.

Personally, I'm getting back to regular weight training (I was going really cardio intense for about 6 weeks leading up to nationals) and I'm working on putting together speed/agility/plyometric workouts to do in between weight training. I've also come up with a plan to get in some more sparring and to do some more adult competitions to get more expereince prior to next year's competition.

Oh, also gotta prepare for my 2nd dan test in October...so I have to come up with a creation poomse and brush up on all my required test material.

basically, keep doing what I usually do...which now that I look at it is quite a bit...sheesh...I'm not quite right :)

Peace,
Erik

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well for the students that are not a part of the competition team it is classes as normal as they only work the basics and forms anyways.

For our competition team they get one month break right after Nationals and Jr. Olympics. During the break they need to be going over light training themselves and we always break down matches and competitions right after each tournament. After the one month off it is right back to training and getting ready for the US Open that is just around the corner.

We also have a BB testing coming up in January (got to love California) So October will be BB candidates classes to help condition and prepare the possible candidates for the test. This is a 3 months course where details are really stressed and practiced for this 1 Kup and BB testing for the next level.

There will be some small keep you skills sharp tournaments that we go to, local stuff nothing big, as well. Then our owner and all the instructors have meetings planning out the rest of the year (Christmas event and this year’s last couple of fund raising events and such).

That is it in a nut shell.

Latest Discussions