Looking for direction

light dancer

White Belt
Reaction score
When I first started TKD 10 years ago, I absolutely loved it - dreamt about it, couldn't wait to get to classes, etc. Instructors changed and I found I was getting constantly injured, was frequently tired (class time length increased significantly and classes were very physically demanding) and I began to find excuses not to go to classes.

I swapped to a new school - dropped a dan level - and enjoyed the lighter contact sparring and the technical sparring pointers - but the training is not challenging - with a big emphasis on forms (not a real interest for me). I thought after I had learned the new forms, the pace and degree of difficulty would pick up and the training would become more challenging. It didn't/hasn't. I've trained there for 2 years now and am supposed to be preparing for a dan grading - but I just cannot get motivated.

I could look for another school, or go back to my previous school (but train in a different area with a different instructor), stick it out where I am, or drop TKD altogether. Part of it is having to drop grading levels. That is making me feel like such a failure, and as it takes so many years to grade between dan levels, I feel like I'm going backwards. (I understand logically this shouldn't bother me - the training is the important thing, but it is contributing to my lack of motivation).

Any new perspectives much appreciated. I'm tired of going around in circles on this.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
You could always try finding a training partner or two to work on more demanding things outside of the regular class.

FierySquidFace

Green Belt
Reaction score
try not to feel like you're going backwards. you DO have more experience and knowledge now. any knowledge we aquire only gives us better perspective. you may drop a grade level, but does that mean you drop your level of skill and experience?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not sure why you left your old school? It seemed challenging and demanding enough. So you got hurt a few times. This is what happens as things progress and get tougher. At some point so are you suppose to. Things should get tougher and tougher until you reach maybe 4th or 5th Dan, not stay the same or get easier. Once you reach 5th Dan then TKD should change for you. At that level it is all about what you can give back. I say you gave up when things got a little progressive. One of the tenants of TKD is Perseverance. You did not persevere.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
a) a dan level is a piece of paper and a strip o cloth. The sweat you put in is the real thing.

b) you are not happy, re-evaluate and take action (you have taken this step, congratulations, too many people just stay put)

c) getting hit (and hurt) is only a matter when, not if in this game.

You could go back to the old school, knowing now what you did not then, things could be different.

Or you could explore other facets of the game. Another school, different style, or a new art all together.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Did you try talking to ether instructor about your concerns? Your instructor should be able to help.